Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

MFTV & Twitch: Official Statement

Creator: FlashJ June 12, 2013 4:29pm
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 7:57am | Report
Apologies for the tone of voice.
astrolia
<Fabulous>
astrolia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 7:59am | Report
PsiGuard wrote:
Quite honestly (though this isn't up to me at all), I don't see why we don't just have the stream closer to the top of the page, and bigger. If it's in a more prominent position, then you'd have less accusations of "shady" stream placement and you arguably wouldn't need it to autoplay in order to attract viewers.

Yeah. Making a stream a thumbnail size and below the fold does little to "promote" it. I mean, regardless of whether Twitch okayed it or not, it should be easy to see why this rubs people the wrong way.

Just because all of the forum users go below the fold and look at other areas on Mobafire doesn't mean that everyone who visits the site does. If the majority of the website viewers don't come here to just look at guides without ever going below the fold of content, why would free champs and guide stuff be at the top of the page?
hi embracing. yes i play ff14 now.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 8:11am | Report
EvilDice wrote:

mobafire is saying "yo this isn't our fault, but we are just going to shut down our streams, thanks community"

to most people, it looks like they are trying to cover up a pretty obvious attempt at view stealing. they aren't owning up to it, leading to a negative reaction from the public. = poor public relations

The stream was shut down as a result of all the negativity, not because anything was done which is against the rules. We've been open about the fact that the stream is on the front page before (people have asked in twitch chat more often) and it has never been an issue until Siv dropped the bomb.

The shutdown is temporary and definitely not a way of admitting anything that didn't happen.

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 8:25am | Report
I think what evil is trying to say is that no matter what we do on the outside right now it just looks like MF is "cheating the public" through shutting off streams.

I don't see how the problem can be fixed as of now. Just need to shed more light to the actual communications.
EvilDice
<Shoutcaster>
EvilDice's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 8:27am | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:

The stream was shut down as a result of all the negativity, not because anything was done which is against the rules. We've been open about the fact that the stream is on the front page before (people have asked in twitch chat more often) and it has never been an issue until Siv dropped the bomb.

The shutdown is temporary and definitely not a way of admitting anything that didn't happen.

this is more of the same. NOBODY IS SAYING YOU BROKE THE RULES (except maybe siv fanboys, but who cares). the thing in question was your manipulation of the viewer count using front page traffic on mobafire, which looks shady and makes people question your motives.

everything in your last quote just reaffirms my point.
a) claiming you did nothing wrong
b) claiming the stream shut down was a result of the community

Thanks to Anal Samurai for the sig!

twitch.tv/dicetherice - @dicetherice
DemonRyou
<Member>
DemonRyou's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 8:40am | Report
They DID do nothing wrong.

And the stream WAS shut down because Siv's moronic followers were flooding the stream with their troll messages, which effectively disables the non-troll viewers to even communicate with the streamer. The streamer was ignoring the chat because it was so hectic will all the trolls.

MOBAFire was publicizing their stream by embedding it. That's not wrong. Is it wrong to make it small, auto-play, and auto-mute? No. Sure, making it small and on mute may actually counteract "publicizing" it, but that's their decision and no one outside of it has any say in it.

League of Legends has millions of players and MOBAFire has hundreds of thousands of members so I doubt the world changes course because a bunch of blind fanboys choose to bash MOBAFire.

I'm still confused as to why people are still saying the stream was not clearly in view. First, it began as "stream was hidden". Then it became "stream was tucked away the bottom of the page" and now "stream was half way down". It's not half-way down. You can open the frontpage and then press the Page Down button ONCE and the stream will be in view.

If anyone doesn't scroll down to look at the stream, then they should have moved onto a different page, making their view no longer count the Twitch viewer count.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 8:48am | Report
@ EvilDice

I'm sorry, but I fail to see what you want us to say. Personally, I understand why people could find the method itself weird and yes, you could argue that people who visit Mobafire and sit on the front page aren't there for the stream (though personally I don't see why they'd stay there if they were looking for guides or something else, but ok).

How is this an example of "not owning up to it" when we've always been open about the fact that the stream is embedded on our website and that it adds to the viewer count?

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!
DemonRyou
<Member>
DemonRyou's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 8:51am | Report
@Wayne3100

People want to hear, "We were faking views. Sorry. Siv HD is the best" But that just can't happen because it wouldn't be a true statement.
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 9:10am | Report
DemonRyou wrote:

And the stream WAS shut down because Siv's moronic followers were flooding the stream with their troll messages, which effectively disables the non-troll viewers to even communicate with the streamer. The streamer was ignoring the chat because it was so hectic will all the trolls.

if this is true and what the admin's say is true regarding twitch's knowledge of the embed on the moba site than not only should moba not have shut the stream down but Siv should be punished for making uniformed statements that led to the loss of business for twitch and moba due to moba taking the stream down. maybe he should cover the loss that he caused by making false claims...if this happened in the majority of business he would likely be sued.

I know I feel cheated that I don't get to watch straw and penguin XD

EvilDice
<Shoutcaster>
EvilDice's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 9:19am | Report
"we made a mistake, we apologize, we will fix it" is what i would expect to see.

it is completely reasonable that people are upset about this given the way the stream was presented. branding everyone as a sivhd fanboy is making your argument immature and inaccurate (talking to demon here). this was a problem before sivhd made it one. it's fine if mobafire promotes other streamers, it's actually a pretty cool idea, but all they had to do was make their stream not autoplay so people were making a conscious choice to watch the stream.

Thanks to Anal Samurai for the sig!

twitch.tv/dicetherice - @dicetherice

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide