Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

MFTV & Twitch: Official Statement

Creator: FlashJ June 12, 2013 4:29pm
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 1:06pm | Report
You do realise that what SivHD said (about Mobafire using bots) was all wrong, right? I'm legitimatelly asking here since I can't tell from your recent posts.

Edit: not trying to say nothing went wrong btw, just wondering whether you're talking about the bots and other accusations of Siv or the embedded stream in general.

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!
EvilDice
<Shoutcaster>
EvilDice's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 1:13pm | Report
Mooninites wrote:

apologize for what? what mistake did Mobafire make?

They did nothing wrong, they have every right to have the stream run on auto-play per their agreement with Twitch. Twitch is as responsible, perhaps even more at fault, for giving Mobafire permission to do so. Yet, I don't see you criticizing twitch.

the mistake is pretty obvious i think, autoplaying and muting their stream to boost viewer counts. if they didn't do this mobafiretv would be running right now and this thread wouldn't exist.

mistake and "following the rules" are two totally different things. you can follow the rules and make mistakes.. they are hardly related, which is why im confused as to why this continues to be brought up.

sure, we can fault twitch some for this, but at the end of the day mobafire pulled the trigger, the stream is under their name and on their site. it's really not a surprise that people are shifting the blame on them.

and sure, i do think they will lose potential customers on this move, as not EVERYONE knows about mobafire and now there is more fuel to the anti-mobafire fire (no pun intended :O). do i think it will cripple the site? no, it is too big to fail nor do i hope it fails. however, they screwed up and suffered the consequences.

Wayne3100 wrote:

@ EvilDice

Hmm.. First of all, the statement / shutting down the stream is a response to all the negativity we've had, perhaps even mainly the false accusations.

Putting that aside for a second and focusing on the issue you raise, I personally did not post anything like the message you included as I am in no position to decide on whether something will be changed or not.

alright that's cool, but that's not the way i interpreted the OP when i first read it and probably not the way others interpreted it.

Thanks to Xiaowiriamu for the sig!

twitch.tv/dicetherice - @dicetherice
HamAndCheesePlz
<Member>
HamAndCheesePlz's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 1:43pm | Report
Wait so what happened?
DemonRyou
<Member>
DemonRyou's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 2:01pm | Report
Oh yay, I get called out for being a "MOBAFire fanboy" for defending a site/stream that I enjoy. The difference between me and Siv fanboys is that Siv's accusation was 100% false while I am defending my stand with facts.

The amount of ignorance to too strong. What are we to do MOBAFire community? This is like fighting a hydra, you disprove one of their speculations and they come up with more feeble complaints.

The people who find this wrong can only call into a matter of ethics and morals, saying that this is unfair to other streamers who work hard to try to gain viewers. They don't understand that work was also put into making the website popular enough to generate a high amount of traffic.

These same people believe that they represent the ENTIRE millions of the League of Legends community. They are so blindly empowered by their sheer hatred of the speculation that MOBAFire is being unjust that they don't even view MOBAFire as part of the League of Legends community.

What gives the right to MOBAFire to embed their stream onto their website at a smaller-than-usual size with autoplay and automute? Twitch.tv gave them that right. But what gives Siv the right to accuse MOBAFire of their actions and what gives his followers the right to swarm the MOBAFireTV stream chat and ruin the viewing experience for the real viewers? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

It's funny that people keep using the word "customer" because MOBAFire doesn't charge to use their services. You don't have to pay to make an account or to view guides. These people act like they are paying MOBAFire millions of dollars to operate and that if MOBAFire doesn't yield to what they think is right and fair, then MOBAFire will die. Clearly, that's not going to happen. Evidently, MOBAFire already has a bad reputation before this entire incident and that hasn't stopped MOBAFire from accumulating tens of thousands of daily visitors.

Can you call me a fanboy? Sure, why not? I'm calling people Siv fanboys, so I can't be a hypocrite. But I'll ask you people that thing MOBAFire is wrong something: what exactly are they doing that is wrong, what is your logic behind this, and why exactly should MOBAFire apologize? Anything less than logical and educated shall be overlooked.
Anonandonandon
<Member>
Anonandonandon's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 2:16pm | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:

You do realise that what SivHD said (about Mobafire using bots) was all wrong, right? I'm legitimatelly asking here since I can't tell from your recent posts.

Edit: not trying to say nothing went wrong btw, just wondering whether you're talking about the bots and other accusations of Siv or the embedded stream in general.

Assuming you're speaking to me, I have no idea what SivHD has said about this and I do not care. I don't consider him any kind of credible source, and I can easily tell there are no bots and that the only issue here is the number of viewers being artificially inflated by the stream being set to auto-play.
EvilDice
<Shoutcaster>
EvilDice's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 2:24pm | Report
DemonRyou wrote:

Oh yay, I get called out for being a "MOBAFire fanboy" for defending a site/stream that I enjoy. The difference between me and Siv fanboys is that Siv's accusation was 100% false while I am defending my stand with facts.

The amount of ignorance to too strong. What are we to do MOBAFire community? This is like fighting a hydra, you disprove one of their speculations and they come up with more feeble complaints.

The people who find this wrong can only call into a matter of ethics and morals, saying that this is unfair to other streamers who work hard to try to gain viewers. They don't understand that work was also put into making the website popular enough to generate a high amount of traffic.

These same people believe that they represent the ENTIRE millions of the League of Legends community. They are so blindly empowered by their sheer hatred of the speculation that MOBAFire is being unjust that they don't even view MOBAFire as part of the League of Legends community.

What gives the right to MOBAFire to embed their stream onto their website at a smaller-than-usual size with autoplay and automute? Twitch.tv gave them that right. But what gives Siv the right to accuse MOBAFire of their actions and what gives his followers the right to swarm the MOBAFireTV stream chat and ruin the viewing experience for the real viewers? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

It's funny that people keep using the word "customer" because MOBAFire doesn't charge to use their services. You don't have to pay to make an account or to view guides. These people act like they are paying MOBAFire millions of dollars to operate and that if MOBAFire doesn't yield to what they think is right and fair, then MOBAFire will die. Clearly, that's not going to happen. Evidently, MOBAFire already has a bad reputation before this entire incident and that hasn't stopped MOBAFire from accumulating tens of thousands of daily visitors.

Can you call me a fanboy? Sure, why not? I'm calling people Siv fanboys, so I can't be a hypocrite. But I'll ask you people that thing MOBAFire is wrong something: what exactly are they doing that is wrong, what is your logic behind this, and why exactly should MOBAFire apologize? Anything less than logical and educated shall be overlooked.

dude, are you for real?

stop romanticizing mobafire as a free site that is fighting for their member's rights. they are a business and they make a lot of money (and there is nothing wrong with this!). if you had to pay to access this site they would make a lot less money. i hate to let you down but sites like google, facebook, and pandora also make a lot of money for offering a free service and yes, they make profit off your page/stream views. mobafire is a lot bigger than people think, i think that's evidenced by the amount of viewers that the stream had when it was up.

stop putting words into people's mouths. quote a post in this thread where anyone has said they represent the entire league community. quote a post in this thread where anyone has said that this stream is unethical or immoral.

i have not supported sivhd's comments in any of my posts and i agree that he has a lot of misinformation. just because sivhd is wrong does not mean that mobafire's method of embedding their stream isn't wrong. right or wrong is subjective, but in the eyes of a large amount of people, it was wrong. that's really all that matters.

This is like fighting a hydra, you disprove one of their speculations and they come up with more feeble complaints.

oh, the irony

Thanks to Xiaowiriamu for the sig!

twitch.tv/dicetherice - @dicetherice
Anonandonandon
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 2:24pm | Report
DemonRyou wrote:

You aren't using facts. You're spewing rhetoric and hyperbole in a completely stupid manner while wholly ignoring reality. I get why, you're a new member, trying to build some rep, look good in front of people you hope will one day be your friends, but you're being ******ed in doing so.

Quoted:

You pay by viewing the ads. You pay by counting as a page view. You may not pay with your own personal money, but you do pay.

First off, I laugh at the idea of tens of thousands. Maybe ten thousand, but tens? I don't think so. In comparison, r/leagueoflegends gets hundreds of thousands. Hell even one hundred thousand is far surpassing of this site. Add another few hundred thousand from the General Discussion forum. The MOBAfire community IS the minority, and your failure to recognize this only further demonstrates how vapid you're acting here.
DemonRyou
<Member>
DemonRyou's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 2:25pm | Report
How is auto-play artificially inflating it? Artificial as in fake? Like I said before, the views are created by a real person that is visiting the website, which has had real work put into it. Most likely, far more work than any of these small-time streamers you feel are being cheated.
Oh look tens of thousands guests.

That's exactly my point, EvilDice, you don't represent the entire community. You alone can feel that this is wrong but it won't do anything. Just like how you clearly disagreeing with my point of view doesn't change anything.

They are making money yes, but you are not giving it to them, so stop your whining. You yourself are not losing any money besides the internet connection you are using to visit the website that you believe is doing wrong, so let me ask you, why are you even here?

Anonandonandon, the fact that you think I'm not using facts has just completely discredited you(as if you had any before)

And MOBAFire is the minority? Look around you. You and people like you who are saying that MOBAFire is wrong is the minority here. So, like I asked EvilDice, why are you here?

Here's my solution: ignore EvilDice and Anonandonandon.

~Edit: Whoops, sorry FlashJ. That's my mistake. I've been seeing ~45k guests every time I look at that information so that's what I assumed.

Oh look, big surprise. You "laugh at the idea of tens of thousands". I disprove you. You think of something else to say.

I'll respect Mowen and just stop replying to you two, as you are the main people that are still saying MOBAFire is wrong.
Anonandonandon
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 2:29pm | Report
DemonRyou wrote:

How is auto-play artificially inflating it? Artificial as in fake? Like I said before, the views are created by a real person that is visiting the website, which has had real work put into it. Most likely, far more work than any of these small-time streamers you feel are being cheated.
Oh look tens of thousands guests.

Here's my solution: time to ignore EvilDice and Anonandonandon.

You think those numbers have nothing to do with the current issue?

You are seriously in need of help.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2013 2:37pm | Report

Assuming you're speaking to me, I have no idea what SivHD has said about this and I do not care. I don't consider him any kind of credible source, and I can easily tell there are no bots and that the only issue here is the number of viewers being artificially inflated by the stream being set to auto-play.

I was, yes.

Fair enough.

@DemonRyou

I don't mind you defending the site, but that doesn't mean everyone's opinion that doesn't match yours should be ignored ;) For example, Evildice didn't say the viewers were fake people, he already agreed SivHD spread a lot of wrong information, however he disagrees with putting the stream on the front page and having it auto play, thus adding to the viewer count. I know he is not against the site or stream as a whole, but that doesn't mean he cannot feel this was handled incorrectly.

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide