Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

New Guide Layout, New Versus Feature + Tons of...

Creator: Mowen June 12, 2014 6:10pm
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2014 7:15pm | Report
OTGBionicArm, we'll see about the drag and drop :)

GrandmasterD, sorry!!!! :( I'm glad you like it though! Hopefully with a couple of the updates I mentioned above, we will reach a good compromise for the item layout.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2014 7:18pm | Report
Matt you da best.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2014 7:19pm | Report
I shall await the changes. Once they're done, I can come up with new cheat sheet lay-outs. It will be fine but the timing could not have been worse.
IPodPulse
<Altruistic Artist>
IPodPulse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2014 7:24pm | Report
Matt wrote:

The issue with the items is, some of the names are quite long and were getting cut off awkwardly. If we remove the names, new players will have a difficult time using your build in-game, since they need to mouseover to see what each item is. So we kept the names and adjusted the width to fit them in.

We are discussing some options though - one of which may be a "[ ] Hide item names" checkbox above the item section, for players that don't need them and prefer a more compact view. We can remember this setting in your browser so you don't have to click it again every time.

We are also discussing bringing back the "Cheat Sheet" popup that provides a much more compact view for printing or easier use in-game on a second screen (this would likely exclude item names for the sake of brevity).

@IPodPulse, do you mean comments on guides? We decided to remove the avatar box because it left so little room for text, it felt very cramped. This layout gives a lot more breathing room.

Can you make an option for guide makers to go back to the old cheat sheet layout? It would work much better for guides that have lots of choices?

Also I used my tryndamere guide cheat sheet for a test. ill edit the post and link the photo later

Edit: before and after, was messing with GIMP so i tried to make a more compact version, all i would need to do is re adjust my text. From what I tested it seems the cheat sheet layout doesn't utilize the extra space. Also with these adjustments I included a lot more items than if it were the current system.

before

after
If you found me helpful give me some +Rep :)
Signature Shop!|Tryndamere Guide|Rengar Guide

Huge thanks too Magiciene for this amazing signature, check out his shop here
xDanielWang
<Crowd Favorite>
xDanielWang's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2014 7:24pm | Report
Looks pretty slick.

I don't know if it's just on my end, but the mastery tree is a bit misplaced. The utility tree is pushed to another row.
+Rep is always appreciated!

My Ahri guide :)
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2014 7:32pm | Report
IPodPulse, we would prefer to keep things consistent across guides for the sake of readers, and focus on improving that. If the only issue you're having is with the layout of the items (and notes icons) we can focus on ways to improve that for everyone. We're going to try out the names toggle first and see how that goes, but we are discussing other possibilities.

If you have suggestions or examples, definitely post them, and we will include them in our discussions!

Edit: I see the images you posted, we'll consider that for sure :)

xDanielWang, could you link to the guide where you're seeing that issue? The guides I'm looking at seem fine so it may only be occurring in some situations and not all.
IPodPulse
<Altruistic Artist>
IPodPulse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2014 7:34pm | Report
Matt wrote:

IPodPulse, we would prefer to keep things consistent across guides for the sake of readers, and focus on improving that. If the only issue you're having is with the layout of the items (and notes icons) we can focus on ways to improve that for everyone. We're going to try out the names toggle first and see how that goes, but we are discussing other possibilities.

If you have suggestions or examples, definitely post them, and we will include them in our discussions!

xDanielWang, could you link to the guide where you're seeing that issue? The guides I'm looking at seem fine so it may only be occurring in some situations and not all.

Alright, just my opinion after all :P. Thanks for taking time to check out my suggestions
If you found me helpful give me some +Rep :)
Signature Shop!|Tryndamere Guide|Rengar Guide

Do u liek talkin liek dis? Well so does Janitsu! So check out Junatsee~'s Graphics for some awesome signatures!
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2014 8:37pm | Report
And thank you for sharing! It helps us a LOT to get feedback from you guys :) We're already working on some adjustments!
astrolia
<Fabulous>
astrolia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2014 8:50pm | Report
I'll repeat what I said when emikadon accidentally found the new layout:

These are terrible design choices. There is way too much padding on the items. You also reduced the amount of items that can take up 1 row (it used to be like 9-10, now its like 7-8) with this increased padding. Unlike runes, items use unique icons. Identifying them by icons and even reducing icon size slightly is actually okay here. If you want names on items, there should be names on summoner spells too.

There is no reason why this item build should take up practically my entire vertical space. I think this one is actually pretty minimal too compared to other people who like to offer multiple 6 item builds and more sections of situational items. Considering the importance of the cheat sheet (be real here - how many people really scroll down and read the whole guide text?)

Also, the "notes". When you have a little arrow icon pointing toward the top right, you are telling the user to expect the note to appear in the top right.

With items, the layout with the icons makes perfect sense because the icons are what's important. We literally see those in game, and Riot's own game supports "identifying items by icons" (see: your own item slot, checking enemy items on the scoreboard... spectator mode... etc). With runes, on the other hand, the icons are less important because they repeat/overlap, so why the runes follow the same layout as items is a mystery to me. It's really the text that's more important, because we identify runes by their names. A vertical list with smaller icons would be better.

You've also randomly added padding to the forums. Considering there is no padding on signatures, name bars, or avatars, it looks really out of place.

It's cool that you finally made the profile part of a profile actually the default page of a profile, but why is it still the last tab? And why is it called "more about me"? This is really the only part of the profile that's "about you".

Edit: Also, images on the forums don't seem to have a max-width keeping them contained, so they run off the post to the right.

Edit 2: I kinda doubt this is actually the top build on Elophant.

hi embracing. yes i play ff14 now.
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2014 9:25pm | Report
Mobafire AND Youtube layout changes which both make it look better (overall)?

I vuw u guys <3

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide