Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

New Guide Layout, New Versus Feature + Tons of...

Creator: Mowen June 12, 2014 6:10pm
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2014 3:38am | Report

That's because of the Mobafire logos we use in those posts. I've removed them for now to see whether it looks better without them, though it might take a while for that to show on the front page (caching). Every other standard news post looks pretty good imo, so I think doing the sales post without the logos should look good too.

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2014 6:00am | Report
Agreed with Missmaw about the guide listings.
Current system is not promoting top guides.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2014 6:17am | Report
Quoted:

So is there ever gonna be a change to the guide listings? By default you are shown the top rated guides for whichever champion you click on and it literally does give you the top rated guide no matter how outdated it is. There's more but I'll take my guide as an example. It's technically the top rated Leona guide right now, but it's listed as the 10th guide when you look up the top rated Leona build. :|

Considering that your guide climbed to 5th after I refreshed my upvote, I think that's just the result of the fact that only the last 20 votes matter. I'm glad to see that the really outdated guides (S2/S1) that used to show in that list are gone, but maybe the same should go for S3 guides (or S4/Fresh guides should always be displayed above the S3 ones, something like that).

Also, in regards to the scoring system itself, I personally think the # of votes the lists are based on should be higher than 20 (slightly off-topic, but figured I'd mention it anyway)

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2014 7:44am | Report
The fact that the top rated lists still show outdated guides is really silly, as is basing the rating on only the last 20 votes in my opinion. Making the pool that small results in swings of 3-4 places or more on the top rated list from a single vote and additionally makes it fairly easy for new guides to displace long-term high rated guides simply by not getting immediately downvoted. Old guides especially don't get many votes so if you get a single downvote you're basically screwed forever in terms of top rated placement.

Also:

Top rated list #1 (default search settings)
Top rated list #2
Top rated list #3

Observe how all three of these lists are in a different order and show different guides. There really should be some consistency here. Plus 90% of the guides shown are completely out of date and/or just plain aren't very good (including mine to some extent). You can do this for pretty much any other champion and it's the same story.

Posting this here instead of the other thread because more people are reading it.
astrolia
<Fabulous>
astrolia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2014 12:33pm | Report
The width of .chapter was changed from 685 to 680, but the max-width on images is still 685 making many images look like they're spilling over 5 pixels / off centered.
hi embracing. yes i play ff14 now.
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 14, 2014 1:48am | Report
A couple updates just went up.

1) The Elophant builds are now filtering out some of the less useful information.
2) The ability to hide names is kind of there but not finished yet - finished version won't be ready until the team is back on Monday, but for now you can sort of improve the situation by adding an entry to your browser's local data named "hide_build_guide_item_names" and set to "1" (if you know how to do that). Please don't give us feedback on this yet, it's not finished, but at least it sort of helps until we can finish it on Monday. There will be a proper checkbox and all the wasted space will be cleaned up.
3) By popular demand we've implemented stacking for the "Top Rated" tab on the browse guides page. This will sink S3 guides below all S4 guides, just like the view champion page already does. The listing as linked from the bottom of the site doesn't have this stacking feature applied yet, we will be adding it there soon as well.

MissMaw, Joxuu and Luther3000, the "Top Rated" tab on the main browse guides page has been updated to match the one on champion pages. The pages linked at the bottom of the site are indeed outdated and are still missing this guide stacking feature. We will look at updating those as well, at which point all three ranking lists will be the same. This will sink S3 guides down below all S4 guides on all three listings.

jhoijhoi, thanks for the suggestion on matchups! We have some improvements down the road planned for that but, your suggestion might be good in the mean time.

Janitsu, as Wayne said, that's due to changes in the layout that the articles were not written to account for. We will be making some adjustments to how we format articles going forward, so that they present better on the homepage news. Also good idea on embedding matchups through bbcode, we'll look in to doing that :)

astrolia, thanks I'll ask our CSS dev to take a look at that!
astrolia
<Fabulous>
astrolia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 14, 2014 1:55am | Report
Well I don't think there's much to look at. Just make the .chapter class width:685px; again so that users don't have to re-size their graphics. It's been 685 for uh probably a few years now, soo.
hi embracing. yes i play ff14 now.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 14, 2014 7:31am | Report
Nice, that's much better. :3
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 14, 2014 5:30pm | Report
Just tried out the matchups feature. It would be really great if we could embed this information easily into the guide so we could add some extra, more detailed information alongside the matchup tips in the cheatsheet.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 17, 2014 2:42pm | Report
Small update here.

astrolia, that 5 pixels width has been put back. Take a look and your images should be fitting properly now, let me know if they still aren't.

Regarding the recent load time issues of the site, I've been digging to try and find the source. As it turns out it was an ongoing and hard to track issue with our host. After providing evidence that it must be on their end, they dug in and ultimately resolved the issues. You should no longer experience the slow load times you've been having over the last few weeks! Let us know if you still notice any issues, but my own testing has shown that it's fixed!!! That's a relief :)

More updates coming soon!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide