Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Update: Option to require a comment before...

Creator: Matt January 9, 2011 9:08pm
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 5:08pm | Report
SixSonatas wrote:

I feel like the comment thing is making people WANT to downvote more

I can't agree more with this. Now that this system is implemented, I feel obligated to, instead of doing what I used to and upvoting for a guide with only a few holes, not voting for something that has a few major mistakes, and downvoting obvious atrocities, I've come to upvote only guides that impress me a good deal, not vote on guides that have a hole or two, and downvote guides that I have any amount of disagreement with. I feel like I have to be the distinguishing factor in a build now, whereas before I was weighting my vote to reflect the huge community of trolls.

;_;

Now where have I seen that face before? :P
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
HeAt
<Veteran>
HeAt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 5:44pm | Report
i just did.. all builds are back. Enjoy and thank you for the change. That system is now on all of my builds.
Everybody! Don't Forget To Check out Some of My Beatboxing @ www.youtube.com/heatbbx and give me that +rep if i helped you out :)
Restrictnine#5232
<Veteran>
Restrictnine#5232's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 5:50pm | Report
lol you raging noob HeAt <3 Welcome back from your... "vacation" shall we call it?
Click on the Banner to see my new and improved Udyr guide!

Guides By RestrictNine, A.K.A. Taggrin
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 6:12pm | Report
Whoa, Six, congrats on your shiny new green title! :3
SixSonatas
<Veteran>
SixSonatas's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 6:40pm | Report
Matt wrote:

Think about all the people that your guides have helped. The negative people are just the loudest. For every 1 obnoxious person that makes his presence known there is probably 100 or more great people that read your guide and really benefited from it, and didn't even log in on the site. The voting system is the most likely place for those people to be heard, but the harder you make it for them to use, the less likely they are to follow through. This is why I wanted to open voting up MORE, not less.

If it's not about the score then let people vote as they please and ignore it. Take pleasure in the people that do take the time to thank and commend you for what you've done.

This is when I think guides should have something in addition to scores, determined by say, a good group of people who are 1600+ ELO or something. Let the original score reflect what the community, including trolls, think, and then the above average players with a high ELO (confirmed by messages in-game & checking stats) show if that general view is right or not.

I understand that it's an evolving system and that there will be downvotes, but I believe that a "perfect guide", where NO ONE is able to come up with ANY REASON that the guide is bad at, should deserve all thumbs up. If there IS a hole, then the downvote comments should include those reasons that allow the author to fix and try to make the guide perfect, and once fixed, the thumbs down becomes a thumbs up. Just a thought about a future system that encourages guide updates and less rage.

Thank you for the veteran status, by the way, Matt.

Whoa, Six, congrats on your shiny new green title! :3

Thank you too ^^
Super old vet that almost never goes on Mobafire anymore. Contact me in game @ SixSonatas and Mobafire chat (NA).
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 6:45pm | Report
Well that was the goal of the Vet recommendations. People that we can trust to promote guides that deserve it, regardless of their score. If you have ideas on how to expand that feature we'd love to hear them :) Right now there aren't a huge number of Vets but we are slowly growing it.
FlashJ
<Administrator>
FlashJ's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 7:15pm | Report
yah thats exactly the point of the vet recommendations. An authoritative, alternate rating to the public rating. I have mentioned this elsewhere but we will be doing some big chnages to the homepage and making some new pages to help showcase a much wider variety of guides than our current "highest rated" "most discussed" and "most viewed". The homepage is falling short on getting enough guides out to the public. It will be adjusted soon.
"Jarvis... sometimes you gotta run before you can walk."
TheWorldAsunder
<Member>
TheWorldAsunder's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 8:00pm | Report
I think with a rise of more vets, and some changes to the homepage and how it picks out guides would be great.

The new comment system is something that people have wanted to combat trolls for a long time. But really, I'm guessing people just were not thinking ahead to the fact that it's not going to STOP them. Rather, it's just going to unmask them. Maybe people were thinking the fact that they were downvoting without comments meant that a forced comment would make them leave the build alone. But no, that's not the case, all you're going to do is cause them to post comments like: "-1 no." And honestly, I have a feeling that'll only make the same people who wanted the feature to rage harder. As for me, I find it funny, and I now take some comfort in knowing exactly who's doing the trolling vs who isn't. Not pointing fingers here, but I've seen someone now who seems to be doing the whole, "rate down any build that pops up for a character I've made a build for in order to make mine look better" just by going through all the builds for caitlyn. He seems to have commented on every one, and since the new system, has also thrown -1s at them all, adding a link to his own build and calling it better. I kind of laugh at it now, as I no longer sit in the dark about who is doing this stuff.

As far as suggestions, I would say that there should be an option under the dropdown "builds & guides" for recommended builds, if you want to make the vet votes have more weight.
SixSonatas
<Veteran>
SixSonatas's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 8:45pm | Report
The thing with vet recommendations is that most people don't even use the feature - they simply use the top rated feature and that's it.

Having a separate voting system like "Top Rated - Veterans" would be nice, seeing how with a bigger base of vets we will have in the future, it'll actually be relevant.

Just an idea for the future.
Super old vet that almost never goes on Mobafire anymore. Contact me in game @ SixSonatas and Mobafire chat (NA).
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 9:02pm | Report
Yeah, I would like to expand the feature to make it more useful. We're putting together a list of our own ideas to grow the vet recommendation feature, we'll likely post it soon to gather feedback from you guys, so that we can move ahead with it :)

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide