Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

A motion control device THAT DOESN'T SUCK...

Creator: Searz September 28, 2012 1:58pm
1 2 3 4
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 1, 2012 11:03am | Report
Let's get what I said straight.

I said that the Kinect sucked because it has big delays.
I said that the Leap Motion seemed promising because it has very little delay.

I said that the Leap Motion costs 30$ less than the Kinect.

I did not say that the Leap Motion would perform better than the Kinect in games made for the Kinect nor that it should replace the Kinect.

I compared 2 products, stating why I thought that one was bad and why the other had potential.
"I'm ebolakin. You can refer to me as Ebola-Chan." - Vurtax

"I also am Otherkin. Whenever autumn rolls around I can feel my kin-type slowly taking over my body. You must know, I identify as pumpkin. I can control it pretty good most of the time, but when September ends, I just cant hold it in anymore. Whenever Im outside I see my brothers and sisters being chopped into soup, coffee, donuts, cake, drinks, bread - ppl even cut human faces into their skin, making a mockery out of their noble appearance. When I see things like that I cant control my pumpkin urges anymore. My natural instincts kick in. I then sit down motionless, while getting bright orange." - Morgana L
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 1, 2012 11:25am | Report
Are you comparing the delay? Ok then, but remember that even the ****piest mouses or keyboards have less delay than Leap motion and cost 60$ less, so leap motion sucks really badly.

You do not have a proper basis to make any valid comparison. What you're doing is the same as comparing a knife with a fork and saying the fork sucks because it can barely cut anything. Yes, they're both used for eating, so what? That's not a basis for comparison.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 1, 2012 12:18pm | Report
Read this again:
Quoted:
I said that the Kinect sucked because it has big delays.
I said that the Leap Motion seemed promising because it has very little delay.

I compared 2 products, stating why I thought that one was bad and why the other had potential.

Since you're striking out bigtime it seems I'll have to point out that I consider low delays a requirement for controllers.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 1, 2012 12:25pm | Report
So? A keyboard has a lower delay and is much cheaper than Leap Motion.
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 1, 2012 12:32pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

It would be nice for commanding armies, but I don't think it'd be useful to build them. Where would your hotkeys be?

It's a non-issue. Neither of the games I mentioned are real-time. For RTSs, I'd imagine that one would still use a keyboard for hotkeys, and the Leap would replace the mouse for (most) other functions.

Canoas wrote:

No, because they serve different purposes while a mouse+keyboard and xbox controller are interchangeable. Some games will be better with one, some will be better with the other.

I don't think so. There are games that it is simply not possible to play with an Xbox controller, because they require simultaneous access to more actions than the controller has buttons to represent (I'm thinking specifically of ARMA 2, here).

The same problem doesn't exist when going the other way, but there are other issues. A lot of games that are designed for the controller and then ported to mouse and keyboard controls tend to suffer from console-itis, the disease where menus and the like are simply not designed with a mouse in mind. Skyrim had a bit of this, and Dark Souls has it so bad that it's almost not possible to play without a controller. (At the start of the game, using keyboard controls, it wants you to press the round, green A button. You can look up the controls, if you can figure out where Start is mapped to and where Y is mapped to. But the instructions for how to play the game, and what buttons to press, will always assume you're using a controller, for the entire game.)

Also, Canoas, read this.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 1, 2012 1:03pm | Report
lifebaka wrote:

Also, Canoas, read this.

Thank you.
He's been abusing this for ages. I've just sadly been unable to call him out on it.
"Doing something, almost being done, then parents come in and don't let you finish.
Yes, I had a rough childhood." - devdevil
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 1, 2012 1:08pm | Report
lifebaka wrote:

I don't think so. There are games that it is simply not possible to play with an Xbox controller, because they require simultaneous access to more actions than the controller has buttons to represent (I'm thinking specifically of ARMA 2, here).

But there are other games that are possible to play with either. Super Meat Boy is a good example, you can play it with a keyboard but a controller is better. You can make a valid comparison between the two peripherals when you use a certain function/objective as a basis, but not when you base the comparison on one single quality. Which is better, keyboard or controller? You can't answer, it's not possible if you don't know the purpose. Yes, you can say one as a better delay or more buttons or a joystick or whatever, but you can't say which one is better unless you state what it is better for. Sadly this is such a case, just because one has a bigger delay doesn't mean it sucks, the purpose is simply different. The games the kinect is designed for CANNOT be played using the leap motion. It's not a case of which is better, leap motion would simply not work, it wouldn't capture anything.

I'm well aware of numerous fallacies, and neither apply to my argument. A comparison based on delay and price is completely irrelevant as the two controllers do not have the same purpose. It would be valid when comparing a mouse with another mouse, for example, as the purpose is the same, but this is not the case. Searz was comparing two different peripheral devices that serve different purposes and therefore cannot be compared. A good analogy would be comparing a knife with a fork, both are utensils used for eating but have very different purposes so you can't reach any meaningless conclusion. You can say that a knife cuts better than the fork or that the fork is better for lifting food, but you can't claim that the knife is better than the fork or that the fork sucks because it can't cut. Leap Motion and Kinect cannot be compared, the Kinect would fail at doing what the Leap Motion does and the Leap Motion would fail even harder at doing what the Kinect does, just like the fork would fail at cutting and the knife would fail at lifting.

If you're going to accuse my arguments of being fallacious make sure you know the fallacy well enough to correctly spot it. Ironically, your post is a good example of the fallacy you tried to pin on me. You claim some games cannot be played with a controller and some games can't be played very well with a mouse+keyboard. That is indeed true, but how is it relevant to the discussion? That does not prove, disprove, strengthen or weaken any argument made by me or Searz. That is not what the discussion is about at all. This discussion is about whether or not the comparison Searz is made and its consequent conclusion that Kinect sucks is a valid one.

EDIT: BTW, you can play arma 2 with a controller. You won't be able to assign all the buttons but it is definitely playable. Will you be able to play it well? No, but the number of buttons is irrelevant the moment you try to play a PC FPS with an Xbox controller.
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 1, 2012 1:56pm | Report
On an unrelated note, if they improve the delay on this it would actually be a pretty fun way to play FPS. You need a keyboard for moving and such, but you could "make" a gun with your right hand and use that as the mouse. I imagine it would make things a lot easier though..
1 2 3 4

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide