Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Death sentence

Creator: IShouldGetALife June 25, 2013 12:54am
107 posts - page 2 of 11
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11
Should capital punishment be legal?
IShouldGetALife
<Member>
IShouldGetALife's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 25, 2013 1:54am | Report
I'm just saying that if they murder someone they shouldn't go on living and many just go out and kill again, there is also the problem of the mistaken conviction and obviously that would have to be researched further, but if there is a confession or if it is a serial killer and there is o way to prove it false like the attacks on soldiers in England then there should be punishment more than just oh go sit in the naughty corner and reflect, also prisoners get treated extremely well because they 'have rights' I'm sorry but you lost your rights when you murdered someone. Now as bananaman said a rope could be used and that is cheap, the island not so much because again why do they get to live when they took the chance away from someone else? Also Caucheka how is capital punishment worse than what they did to their victim? do they deserve civility?. Have you seen the videos of the attacks in England? do those people deserve to breathe the air that the rest of humanity does? no. They don't deserve to live in this world at all, they voided that right when they took it away from the soldier.

Edit: Dill why does the cost matter if they took someones life? is a humans life worth money to you? is justice worth money to you?
If I have helped in anyway at all a +rep will be appreciated lots
Thanks to LaCorpse, Hogopogo and JhoiJhoi for the amazing sigs
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 25, 2013 2:11am | Report
caucheka wrote:

second, the point of prison should be to rehabilitate prisoners, to show them why they were wrong so that, if the time comes, they can reintegrate with society.

LOL good luck with that chief

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/chicago-woman-racks-400-arrests-article-1.1370258

caucheka wrote:

capital punishment is barbaric.

it's actually pretty humane (atleast in the way we kill them), if you look at the way capital punishment has evolved it went from the guillotine to hanging to the electric chair to (now) lethal injection
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 25, 2013 2:17am | Report
The main reason why capital punishment is against the law (at least, that is what I think), is because ethics. Killing a man is illegal. With capital punishment, a cop (or whatever) will kill the murderer. A cop is now a murderer. Killing a man is illegal. The cop deserves capital punishment. Which is stupid, since no one wants to do capital punishment if they would be the guy pulling the lever. Then there is also guilt factor n stuff. People pulling the levers really should have an iron heart, being capable to pull the lever without hesitation, which is not easy to do (without going crazy at least)

Whatever the case, capital punishment has its issues.
Change is gooooood
Picture by: Janitsudude

Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 25, 2013 2:26am | Report
hanging was waaaaaaay before the guillotine, not to mention all of the messed up disgusting ways torturing happened way back when

also there is a state in the US that still does the firing squad, others that still do hangings and the electric chair, and almost all do the lethal injection

and yeah its not the method that costs the money (although the lethal injection probably does cost a good chunk of money) its the whole proving 100% that theyre guilty, the infinite habeas corpus cases that people do before they get put on death rowto try and prove themselves innocent, all of the funeral costs (yes people that are sent to death row get funerals, not sure if the government pays for them or not but they are a cost) and then there is the whole "last wishes" thing or "last meal"

EDIT FOR BANANA: i dunno they did have the executioners during the reign of terror with the guillotine doing like 5-10 executions a day, there are people willing to do it, and while ethics do play a factor there are many people like Absolute.0 that say "an eye for an eye" which technically is also ethics, there are people that believe killing is wrong, and then there are people that believe killing is wrong and must be punished with killing the killer

so ethics did play a part on why its illegal in most places but i wouldnt say its the main reason, since there is cost and the "oopsie he was innocent" things

ALSO FUN FACT: there are 3 people still in death row in the state of new york even though the death penalty is no longer a means of punishment there (probably not anymore but 4 years ago when i did the research it was so)
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
IShouldGetALife
<Member>
IShouldGetALife's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 25, 2013 2:35am | Report
why should the government pay for the funerals? also why do you have to have an iron heart to kill a killer, does it mean that I lack human values if I see a murderer as a piece of scum no more deserving of anything than waste is? they are the ****ing wastes of society and in my eyes no longer worth thinking of as human, also I don't get the ethics problems with it the world has come to a state where criminals that have been proven murderers can walk free and get better jail quarters and quality of life than they probably lived in. With **** like that you are inviting them to murder someone, I think if the death penalty was enforced murderers would think twice about killing as they don't get any benefits, also the more brutal the murder the less humane the execution I think, people like Ivan Milat and John Wayne Gacy deserve HELL but they don't get it if there is no capital punishment, albeit Gacy was killed by lethal injection, still lethal injection!? painless and humane, far from what he did so why did he deserve that? killing a killer should be beyond all ethical boundaries.
If I have helped in anyway at all a +rep will be appreciated lots
Thanks to LaCorpse, Hogopogo and JhoiJhoi for the amazing sigs
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 25, 2013 2:37am | Report
A grey area at best. I will elaborate when I get home.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 25, 2013 2:43am | Report
Meiyjhe wrote:

The main reason why capital punishment is against the law (at least, that is what I think), is because ethics. Killing a man is illegal. With capital punishment, a cop (or whatever) will kill the murderer. A cop is now a murderer. Killing a man is illegal. The cop deserves capital punishment. Which is stupid, since no one wants to do capital punishment if they would be the guy pulling the lever.

That sounds more like a technicality than "ethics". Capital punishment isn't illegal because "well darn, killing is against the law, I guess we can't kill people."

I think the biggest issues with the death sentence are mistaken convictions (which have happened and will happen) and the notion of rehabilitation or redemption. Since IShouldGetALife seems rather adamantly in favor of capital punishment, I'll pose this question to you. If a young man kills a person, becomes racked with guilt, completely changes in prison and becomes the most benevolent man you've ever met who wishes every day he could correct his mistake, should he still be put to death? Obviously not every murderer is going to have a change of heart, but people do change in prison. Even if they had a life sentence without parole, at least they could live and do good in prison rather than having their life cut short.
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 25, 2013 2:49am | Report
you know there was a study that said capital punishment doesnt deter criminals nearly as much as life in prison, and no one is thinking twice when theyre murdering people

like for real you think some serial killer is gonna be like "oh man if i kill this next person i might get the death penalty and die"

also i said i dont know if they pay for the funerals or not, im just saying the funerals are a cost

and i dont think you understand the whole "ethics" part of it, not everyone thinks the same way you do, some people think of it as another life getting taken away, and like the banana said it puts someones life on someone else

honestly i used to think the same exact way you did about the subject with the whole "RAH RAH KILLERS DESERVE DEATH AND THE WORST THINGS EVER HISSSSSSSSSSSSSS" but then i actually did research about the death penalty and everything i thought was right actually turned out to be wrong, capital punishment doesnt deter criminals nearly as much as a life in prison, costs significantly higher than life in prison, and basically has much more cons than pros, with the only real pro being "one less killer on the streets" which is also solvable with a life in prison

and even with parole, the fact that they know what will happen if they get caught again is a much bigger deterrent from crime than the death penalty
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 25, 2013 2:56am | Report
DillButt64 wrote:

you know there was a study that said capital punishment doesnt deter criminals nearly as much as life in prison, and no one is thinking twice when theyre murdering people

like for real you think some serial killer is gonna be like "oh man if i kill this next person i might get the death penalty and die"

Definitely agree with this. People committing serious crimes like murder aren't going to think twice whether there is a death penalty or not. Committing murder has its own psychological ramifications but no murderer is going to consider those if he's about to kill someone.
DillButt64 wrote:
like the banana said it puts someones life on someone else

The idea behind the firing squad is actually to make it impossible to pin the criminal's death on any one person.
Thanks to Hoppermh for the sig!
Kinen
<Member>
Kinen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 25, 2013 3:02am | Report
Murder is not necessarily a black and white scenario. We've the completely insane, we've the cold-blooded killers (probably also insane), but we also have those who occupy something in between. Not quite insane, but certainly not in full possession of their faculties. Perhaps they've murdered someone who raped their kin, or perhaps a teenager driven over the edge by monstrous bullying murders the bully as opposed to the typical suicide. Murder is a serious thing and people who commit it are often not emotionally stable. I'm not in any way suggesting that murder is justified by extreme anger or grief or God-knows-what, but are these people really the scum of the Earth, sub-humans, the same way that some of the notorious killers you mentioned are?
Sig by Kinen|Nayaad
that's my IGN
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide