Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Greatest Book?

Creator: MrCuddowls October 11, 2012 2:55pm
89 posts - page 4 of 9
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 9:53am | Report

Can we not compare The Bible to MLP? I know someone mentions believing in God, while on the internet is a Sin, but I don't appreciate you making fun of my religion. I respect your choice not to believe what I believe but I won't stand idly by as you make such a horrible comparison.

I'm saying that the Bible is a bad book.
It's huge bunch of gibberish and it constantly contradicts itself.

I am NOT saying that Christianity is a bad thing. As long as you're nice I don't give much of a hoot what you believe in, but I won't accept the Bible as a "good read" >.>
"Nothing says I like you more than letting you drink my filtered urine." - deityignis

"MY WHOLE LIFE IS A WANK." - WTTNHK

"There are boobs...LOTS OF BOOBS. And then Obama comes out of no where." - JEFFY40HANDS, on Air Gear
Xeronn
<Member>
Xeronn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 10:12am | Report
Searz wrote:
I'm saying that the Bible is a bad book.
It's huge bunch of gibberish and it constantly contradicts itself.

I am NOT saying that Christianity is a bad thing. As long as you're nice I don't give much of a hoot what you believe in, but I won't accept the Bible as a "good read" >.>

I could say a lot of things about this, but... it would seem pointless. Just please be respectful.
^^ Check out my Gangplank Guide! ^^
+Rep is OP! Special Forces Gangplank!!
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 10:13am | Report
The bible is one of the greatest works of literature even from a non-christian standpoint.

It is the basis of all literature.

I don't mind if you don't like it as much, but please don't trash it. I'm speaking from a christian point of view and an objective point of view.
Minho
<Editor>
Minho's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 10:25am | Report

This is why you don't usually bring up religion on the internet ...
Sigs by: Xiao, Bree, Nameless, Jeffy, Jai, Hogo, Dreams, Tiny, 'Maw, & Wombo!
♫ 한국어 팝 ♫
♡ 타일러 ♡
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 10:46am | Report
Embracing wrote:

The bible is one of the greatest works of literature even from a non-christian standpoint.

It is the basis of all literature.

Just because something is the first of it's kind doesn't mean that it will always be good.
Things improve, all the time.

The Bible isn't much of a story per-se, it's more like guidelines for a religion and should not have been brought up in this thread..
"You can't have your privacy violated if you don't know your privacy is violated." - Mike Rogers, U.S. Representative for Michigan's 8th congressional district, 2013
I.e: Mike Rogers doesn't think it's rape unless the victim knows (s)he has been raped. Sounds legit.
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 11:16am | Report
Searz wrote:

Just because something is the first of it's kind doesn't mean that it will always be good.
Things improve, all the time.

The Bible isn't much of a story per-se, it's more like guidelines for a religion and should not have been brought up in this thread..

The bible actually has very little content where it explicitly explains guidelines for a religion.

If you're saying that the bible is a bad book because it is a book of guidelines, then Art of War, Animal Farm, any book about future society, or anything with morals in it at all shouldn't be brought up in this thread.

Bible, literally means BOOK.

The bible isn't a story, it's a collection of stories with many different authors.

Now, saying it is the basis of all literature is a bit naive, but it is by no means a poor example of literature.
Tri lane for life.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 12:18pm | Report
Temzilla wrote:

The bible actually has very little content where it explicitly explains guidelines for a religion.

Well, there's lots of indirect guidelines. I count indirect guidelines as guidelines too.
Quoted:
Now, saying it is the basis of all literature is a bit naive, but it is by no means a poor example of literature.

Some stories may be good, but as a whole the Bible has too much gibberish and contradiction to be a "good read" imo.

Phil15
<Member>
Phil15's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 1:20pm | Report
Inb4 this thread gets locked

and for your information the Bible is not the basis of all literature and assuming it is is wrong. You completely ignore the greeks (Homer,Sophocles and many many more) and even earlier writings from the babylonians for example(Story of Gilgamesh) and what about the egyptians and their mythology?

Jewish wrote the Torah before the bible as well (Well duh Jesus was a Jew its just common sense)

The Qaran is a more beautiful peace of literature than the bible (Sorry about that :( )

Taoist and Budhist writings were written before the bible and same goes for hindhuism.

In fact, Christianity is the youngest religion if we cross out Muslims, Sikhs and protestants

I respect the opinion of everybody and believe that religion as a great importance in society but when you make claims get your facts straight.
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 2:23pm | Report
Why are you guys talking about the bible? Jeffy refers to MLP in his post!

But seriously: The bible is one hell of evidence that humans can openly talk about really scary stuff and still have the image to be as meek as a lamb.

Stuff like Lord of the flies, Goethe's Faust, etc. all read years ago and mostly for school, and I'm not really into that kind of stuff.

For personal reference I'm rather mainstream I guess, Dan Brown for example has some nice depth and still maintains entertainment to keep me reading.

And btw @Phil, even if it isn't THAT clear, but protestants = christanity.
Catholics may have been the founding way and while protestantism is only a later variation, it's still the same religion believing the same stuff.
MrCuddowls
<Member>
MrCuddowls's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 13, 2012 2:29pm | Report
Its amazing how this thread went from books to religion so quickly

I have yet to read the bible but I don't doubt that it is a good example of literature

But anyway, please stick to the books people. Suggesting the bible as a book is good, but it doesnt give permission for someone to completely deny what someone says and then bash it.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide