Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Greatest Book?

Creator: MrCuddowls October 11, 2012 2:55pm
89 posts - page 2 of 9
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
MrCuddowls
<Member>
MrCuddowls's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2012 6:34pm | Report
I already said i only read 2
I'll only explain Lord of the flies and i'll do so briefly
Bunch of british kids get stranded on an island that at first seems like an amazing place of adventure but quickly turns into a hell. The boys do many things including making fires to try to signal passing planes and boats to see that they are stranded. This doesn't work for a long time. As they try to live on the island many things arise like the "beast". The beast was a dead man parachuting to the island. It looked rather alive because the parachute stuck on to him and made him move with the air. one of the protagonists simon realized that the beast is truly the fear of the kids. Other things that arise are things like "pink" which i think is related to blood or something along those lines. Piggy is an intelligent fellow who is always trying to bring everyone to their senses but is not able to. He and his glasses are like the embodiment of society and laws. When his glasses break, it meant that all form of law was abolished, and when he was killed, then it was just a bunch of animals on the island rather than boys. The sow was in a way a sign of evil pleasure, the kids hunted it for food but the way it was killed was extremely nasty. It was found to be very fun killing things by the hunters. The sow also symbolizes the story. At first was a kind nurturing mother, but as time went by quickly turned into the lord of the flies. The lord of the flies was the sow's head stuck on a stick as an offering to the beast. It was an image of extreme malace that almost turned the angelic simon evil. Simon was killed because of a surge of (hey lets go kill something because its fun). He was going to tell everyone that the beast was actually the fear of the boys but was killed and drifted off into the ocean. Piggy got hit by a boulder and fell of a cliff to have his head smashed into a rock and then his body drift into the ocean. Ralf was the leader, he is the last survivor of the good side and even though was unkind towards piggy, cried for him. The end of the story was when ralph was being chased by all the evil doers on the island. A great fire was set the signaled a ship to come. As the ship came, ralph ran for his life away from the hooligans chacing him. When he sees the officer he stands at first in disbelief then cries for the loss of innocence (i love this characteristic about him) and his amazing friend piggy.

I loved this story to bits and it has definitely impacted my life
the other i read was To kill a mockingbird but i don't really want to explain that
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2012 6:51pm | Report
I really enjoyed Mockingbird when I read it :3

And Gatsby is...interesting.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2012 6:52pm | Report
Favorite book: The Phantom Toolbooth

Was relevant when I was about 10. It's still relevant about 8 years later.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2012 7:33pm | Report
The Great Gatsby was the only book i actually liked having to read during high school
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2012 8:54pm | Report

No paragraphs or sentence structure. You're supposed to assume I've read the book, so rather than telling me a play by play you need to properly formulate thoughts and explain them. Rather than saying "This is what happened" tell me why you think it happened, and what it symbolizes, if there is symbolism at all.

Example:

As the Lord of The Flies draws to a close, we see a loss of innocence symbolized by Ralph's tears. Ralph knows what he and the boys went through and what they did changed them forever. This stories main idea is best represented or understood as "man's struggle to develop order when in chaos. Chaos within himself (human nature conflicting with morality) and within those he surrounds himself with (creating an idyllic society out of chaos)". William Goulding's writing states that human nature wins and that soul survival boils down to the strong and the weak.

The idea is to convey what you think the writer meant and using what you are given to develop an idea. It does not have to be an original idea, but it should be something that you promote and can back up with evidence. Does that make sense?
MrCuddowls
<Member>
MrCuddowls's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2012 9:12pm | Report
It makes sense but you need to realize that I didn't put effort into it because its on a gaming forum and i have actual homework to do. But I do approve everything you said
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2012 10:06pm | Report
The Great Gatsby. There should be no doubt in your mind about that, old sport.
IceCreamy wrote:

(1:07): I prefer your balls over ***hol

Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 11, 2012 10:41pm | Report
My top 5 books are probably...

1. Dune
2. Animal Farm
3. The Tale of Genji
4. The Alchemist
5. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy 5 book trilogy.
Tri lane for life.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 12, 2012 3:06am | Report
I personally really enjoyed:
The old man and the sea.
Of mice and men.

Animal farm and 1984 were good too, but they just didn't quite strike a cord with me, so to speak.
"Gold can't buy you rape." - Mr Sark
Clu Gulager
<Member>
Clu Gulager's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 12, 2012 1:04pm | Report
Searz wrote:

I personally really enjoyed:
The old man and the sea.
Of mice and men.

Animal farm and 1984 were good too, but they just didn't quite strike a cord with me, so to speak.

1984...so good
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide