Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Interesting View on Religion (The Oatmeal)

Creator: jhoijhoi November 12, 2012 6:31pm
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 13, 2012 3:37pm | Report
Well, everyone belives in what they want...Really matters if you pray to Jesus, Buda, Yaveh or a flying pasta monster?

Because that belief carries baggage. The Christian baggage, for example, is being anti-gay, anti-progress, anti-condoms, anti-abortions, etc. If no such baggage existed then religion wouldn't be harmful, but it does.
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 13, 2012 3:46pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

Because that belief carries baggage. The Christian baggage, for example, is being anti-gay, anti-progress, anti-condoms, anti-abortions, etc. If no such baggage existed then religion wouldn't be harmful, but it does.

That's not Christian baggage. That's the baggage that the loud parts of Christianity bring, but it's not at all fair to judge the rest without actually talking to them. Most Christians I've met haven't been bible-thumping bigots; if they were, I wouldn't talk to them as much as I do.

In general, it's not fair to judge a religion by its loudest elements. The loudest and most vocal elements of any group also tend to be the most extreme elements, and the nature of their extremeness tends to make them fairly small. It is not, for example, fair to judge all Muslims as terrorists simply by the actions of a few extremists; the vast majority of Muslims aren't really interested in anything that happens more than 100 miles from where they live (just like the vast majority of other people).
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 13, 2012 4:09pm | Report
lifebaka wrote:
That's not Christian baggage. That's the baggage that the loud parts of Christianity bring, but it's not at all fair to judge the rest without actually talking to them. Most Christians I've met haven't been bible-thumping bigots; if they were, I wouldn't talk to them as much as I do.

In general, it's not fair to judge a religion by its loudest elements. The loudest and most vocal elements of any group also tend to be the most extreme elements, and the nature of their extremeness tends to make them fairly small. It is not, for example, fair to judge all Muslims as terrorists simply by the actions of a few extremists; the vast majority of Muslims aren't really interested in anything that happens more than 100 miles from where they live (just like the vast majority of other people).

No, it is Christian baggage. Just because the loudest are the noticeable ones doesn't mean the quiet ones don't share their views. Chances are the people you know grew in a similar environment to your own. I also have christian friends who despite believing in god support secular values and pretty much any consensus by the scientific community. But that's a small minority. The only reason they're all like that is because no one in their right mind chooses to be an engineer without believing in physics, anti-science engineers simply do not exist and the majority of my friends . If I had chosen another area then the christians I would know wouldn't be so open. In high-school, for example, there were people in my class that actually believed that condoms were evil.
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 13, 2012 4:55pm | Report
canoas i know a ton of christians, most of my friends are christians and they all live all over the country and VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY FEW OF THEM (im talking like 1 out of the many) are anti-gay, most of them are infact pro gay marriage and a few are actually homosexuals themselves, and being pro-life or pro-choice isnt -always- about religion believe it or not some people actually dont find abortion to be a good thing that arnt christians, also anti-progress is pretty vague, do they get a job? theyre progressing society. are they creating art? more progress. the only people that are really anti-progress are the amish that i know of

but to the comic in the first post i personally find the "intolerance of intolerance" to be just as bad as the intolerance they are being intolerant about, cuz you know an eye for an eye leaves the world blind or fighting fire with fire just makes the world burn, if someone is intolerant(or for a better choice of words "expressing their beliefs") that doesnt mean you should also be intolerant or express your beliefs in the same way they are if you dont like how they express themselves
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 13, 2012 5:13pm | Report
Searz wrote:

IT'S SPAGHETTI, NOT PASTA, YOU HERETIC.

+rep

Sig made by Hogopogo
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 13, 2012 5:21pm | Report
Canoas wrote:

Oh really? I've been a Christian virtually all my life and yet I don't (and never did) have any of those so-called 'baggages'. But you seem to know more about it than I do, so please, tell me more.
Phil Collins
<Member>
Phil Collins's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 13, 2012 6:32pm | Report
Why do you guys even give a **** about what people believe in? Don't you have bigger problems in your life?
Xeronn
<Member>
Xeronn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 13, 2012 6:41pm | Report
I can't believe you guys v.v
^^ Check out my Gangplank Guide! ^^
+Rep is OP! Special Forces Gangplank!!
Mikuroo
<Member>
Mikuroo's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 13, 2012 7:08pm | Report
I am a christian and I am also vice president of my schools Gay Straight Alliance.

No where in the bible does it say christians hate gays, and no real christian hates gays for being gay.

So don't assume stuff if you don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about .

EDIT: Also, I chose to be a christian myself. My whole family is either aethist or antichristian. I would tell you why but i'd probably get dissed for saying "****" like faith and christian love.
yolo, teemo to strong in low elo
Xeronn
<Member>
Xeronn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 13, 2012 7:23pm | Report
Mikuroo wrote:

No where in the bible does it say christians hate gays, and no real christian hates gays for being gay.

Sure, that's true. I don't hate gay people, but I can't approve of what they do.

It does however say this in the bible-

"Leviticus 18:22 - And you must not lie down with a male the same as you lie down with a woman. It is a detestable thing."

God designed sex to be engaged in only between a male and a female and only within the arrangement of marriage.

..I feel like a target now.
^^ Check out my Gangplank Guide! ^^
+Rep is OP! Special Forces Gangplank!!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide