Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Interesting View on Religion (The Oatmeal)

Creator: jhoijhoi November 12, 2012 6:31pm
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 14, 2012 11:45pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

Moon, the point is that there are MORE COWS then there were in earlier periods of time, in order to FEED a larger POPULATION OF HUMANS. Thus more methane production.

Forests in the US may have grown, but what about the "lungs of the earth", ie, the Amazon Rainforest? Trees are not replanted in various parts of the world that don't care about sustainability.

I've heard this argument before. The same argument could be made for the simple population growth of humans. It's not really a plausible argument in my eyes because quite franky what would we do with accelerating population growth? start killing people off? No sorry, I don't buy that as a plausible argument for man-made global warming, at least not enough to start driving a smart car instead of a hummer

Well that's a problem for other countries. Why should the US continue to cripple itself with harsh environmental regulations when other countries ignore these regulations? I've heard the argument for leading by example, but how's that working out?
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Wintermond
<Member>
Wintermond's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2012 2:14am | Report

I ****in' love Mooninites. He never fails to deliver amusement and entertainment on a daily basis.

El Psy Congroo.

|You can't spell slaughter without laughter.|

lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2012 7:57am | Report
So I've sorta' tuned out this thread since it started getting quite so serious, but...

FalseoGod wrote:

I'm sorry about the Nickelback albums, guys ;_;

Am I the only one who doesn't really mind listening to Nickelback? There are far, far, far worse examples of musical taste out there. As far as I can tell, the only real complaint about them is how massively generic their sound is, but sometimes that can be a really nice change of pace.

Then again, maybe I just wanna' be a big rock star, live in a hilltop house, and drive fifteen cars.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Xeronn
<Member>
Xeronn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2012 8:06am | Report
lifebaka wrote:

Am I the only one who doesn't really mind listening to Nickelback? There are far, far, far worse examples of musical taste out there. As far as I can tell, the only real complaint about them is how massively generic their sound is, but sometimes that can be a really nice change of pace.

Then again, maybe I just wanna' be a big rock star, live in a hilltop house, and drive fifteen cars.

I don't really see what the big idea about this is either and why so many people don't like him o.o
^^ Check out my Gangplank Guide! ^^
+Rep is OP! Special Forces Gangplank!!
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2012 8:06am | Report
(hue, Mowen :D)

I never liked Nickelback, the guy's voice annoys me like hell. I just hate the whole "this is rock'n'roll" attitude I've got from their fans, tbh.
Thank you Byron for 2014's loudest laugh up till today
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2012 8:12am | Report
Mooninites wrote:

well we have quite a bit of historical evidence that this is true. The bible was written all over the known world. One of the strongest cases for the bible is the fact that different books (i.e. the book of john, mark, etc.) were actually written all over the world and generally around the same time. There is no evidence for collaboration on the works. I'm not sure if you've ever read the bible, but if not, all four books of the disciples (and even the books that are not chosen as part of the bible) describe relatively uniformally, supposed events that occured during Jesus' life. So basically what I'm saying it that, yes the books were written all over the known world; i.e. in Greece, Judea, Egypt, etc. And while it wasn't the exact same wording, the stories are consistent enough and it seems that it would be impossible to collaborate amongst the authors.

Let me disprove your point.

Christianity or the Bible (in any form) did not even touch China until 7th century. Or at least, that was the earliest documented proof.

Bible written all over the world? Don't make me laugh. And even if China wasn't part of the known world, there is no grounds to really say that the Bible was written all over the world before coming into contact with each other - just the known world at best and even then it's a long stretch.
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2012 10:00am | Report
Bible is not better than any fairy tale, folklore or fable.

It only talks about stuff that was recorded to have happened somewhere sometime ago without stating any solid proof.
But what does it tell us that many ppl in different parts of the world write about similar things?

Well, why do we have fairy tales,traditions, cultural identities etc. in common with other far away countries/continents?
Why do amercian folklore cross paths with european one?
Because there is some truth that was revealed/realized at different places on earth?
And since many ppl from those different places write about it DOES mean it's proven?

Ppl who think this way are called creationists.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2012 11:50am | Report
FalseoGod wrote:

I'm sorry about the Nickelback albums, guys ;_;

:O
A *** in a thread on religion, eh? We're gonna find where you live and punish you for your insolence, JUST YOU WAIT

I don't understand all the hate for Nickelback.. They're soooo middle of the road, generic, meeeeh to me. They're almost so generic that I don't even care about them..
I find it hard to compare them to amazing singers like Rebecca Black and Justin Bieber.
jhoijhoi wrote:

I never said it was a result in human activity, only. I said the earth goes through periods of cold and hot cycles, which this graph supports:

I do believe humans have contributed though. Also, methane isn't the highest, it's the second highest. The highest is carbon dioxide. You said it's attributed to lack of rainforest (CO2) and cows (methane). Who do you think cut down the trees? Who do you think increased the population of cows on the planet?

I agree with this for the most part.
There's no definite proof that global warming exists (as far as I know), but there's no proof of the opposite either.
From what I've seen and read it seems probable that global warming exists to some degree, but that's all I can really say on the subject and it's not much use arguing since there so far is no definite evidence.

As for what Moon said about driving a smartcar over a hummer because of global warming. I wouldn't do it for that. I would drive a smartcar to conserve resources. I'd lose both money and consume unnecessary resources for no reason with a hummer.
It's another thing entirely if you need a terrain vehicle though, I'm talking about general city usage.
I'm a strong independent black mage who don't need no mana.
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2012 11:59am | Report
Searz wrote:

I find it hard to compare them to amazing singers like Rebecca Black and Justin Bieber.

The wisest words ever spoken, I believe.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 15, 2012 12:20pm | Report
sirell wrote:

Let me disprove your point.

Christianity or the Bible (in any form) did not even touch China until 7th century. Or at least, that was the earliest documented proof.

Bible written all over the world? Don't make me laugh. And even if China wasn't part of the known world, there is no grounds to really say that the Bible was written all over the world before coming into contact with each other - just the known world at best and even then it's a long stretch.

well you've shown your lack of knowledge of history because Christianity wasn't firmly introduced into China until around the 1500's. Christian texts managed to reach China pretty early through trade but from my knowledge there's no evidence of Christianity growing until the arrival and of the Jesuits. So you're a good 700+ years off what could be considered significant gains for Christianity in China. Also Don't take what I said out of context. The bible was written all over the known world. This means the Mediterranean and it's true the bible was written in Greece, Egypt, Judea, there's some evidence that parts were written in Rome. And there are grounds to say that. From what I remember from my studies,the Book of Mark was one of the first written gospels while john was written quite a bit after Mark and Matthew. In fact Luke and Mark were written in Greek and Mark specifically probably wrote his gospel in Greece (as opposed to Luke who would have written it for Greek speaking people). I'd have to look it up again to be entirely sure, but the point is, the gospel was written in different parts of the known (key word here) world at different times in circumstances where it would have been impossible for them to collaborate their stories. As for your second part, I really had difficulty understanding what you are trying to say, if you're trying to say that the bible wasn't written all over the Mediterranean then you'd be pretty wrong because more proof points to the fact that it was. If you want to clear up your statement go ahead.

Searz wrote:

I agree with this for the most part.
There's no definite proof that global warming exists (as far as I know), but there's no proof of the opposite either.
From what I've seen and read it seems probable that global warming exists to some degree, but that's all I can really say on the subject and it's not much use arguing since there so far is no definite evidence.

As for what Moon said about driving a smartcar over a hummer because of global warming. I wouldn't do it for that. I would drive a smartcar to conserve resources. I'd lose both money and consume unnecessary resources for no reason with a hummer.
It's another thing entirely if you need a terrain vehicle though, I'm talking about general city usage.

See the problem with that is, if we are to declare man-mode global warming science, like a number of people here have done, then it has to be definitive proof of man-made influence on global warming. If that's the argument you want to take, then I'd say you can't disprove the existence of God, so therefore he exists.

I'm not really sure how you would 'save resources' I think I read an article a while back where someone did the math on Smart Cars and it would take you like 10 years to pay off the amount you save in energy, I can't remember exactly where i read that but it was something like that, if i find the source I'll let you know

did canoas die? I haven't heard from him in a while, maybe he went to go hide under rocks again
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide