Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

New computer build, help please?

Creator: mastajdog January 3, 2012 1:31pm
Freddy Shopan
<Member>
Freddy Shopan's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 4, 2012 5:38am | Report
But for LoL and graphics design, I would go for processor over graphics card. Let's face it. Games like LoL don't need a good graphics card.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 4, 2012 8:48am | Report
I was responding to everyone else >.>

I'd personally just go for the most powerful cost effective parts. I'm not sure which they are right now, but they used to be intel 2500k and ATI radeon HD5870
"Nothing says I like you more than letting you drink my filtered urine." - deityignis

"MY WHOLE LIFE IS A WANK." - WTTNHK

"There are boobs...LOTS OF BOOBS. And then Obama comes out of no where." - JEFFY40HANDS, on Air Gear
Samoh
<Member>
Samoh's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 4, 2012 9:00am | Report
Zoki wrote:

He can get way way way better equipment for that money. And also never ever buy AMD processors. Intel is so much better than AMD.

Intel being better than AMD is an opinion, and not a fact. Also in England that equipment would cost more, I don't know your prices. I was simply giving a suggestion, and giving my opinion. Saying never ever buy AMD processors is very opinionated, make sure you make that clear first =)
Thanks to Koksei, The_Nameless_Bard,JhoiJhoi, LaCorpse, JEFFY40HANDS and myself for the signatures! I am also a certified gangster.
Zoki
<Member>
Zoki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 4, 2012 11:05am | Report
Intel processors are better build, are more reliable and are faster + more L2 Cache. So It half my opinion and half fact. But they cost more, that is true.

And about games needing graphics more is wrong. It depends on the game. Not all games require graphics power more than processor. For example take a look at GTA 4.

The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.
Sigs made by: LaCorpse, jhoijhoi, Katoki, JEFFY40HANDS, The_Nameless_Bard and Sk1llbug
-||- Check out my Master Yi guide -||-
Freddy Shopan
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 4, 2012 5:07pm | Report
Samoh wrote:

Intel being better than AMD is an opinion, and not a fact. Also in England that equipment would cost more, I don't know your prices. I was simply giving a suggestion, and giving my opinion. Saying never ever buy AMD processors is very opinionated, make sure you make that clear first =)

Saying to never buy AMD is an opinion, but saying Intel > AMD is not, really... It's like saying that the Green Bay Packers are better than the Bears in football. Sure it's an opinion, but the Packers are 2-0 against them this year, so there's good ground to say it.
Blze001
<Member>
Blze001's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2012 12:56pm | Report
As someone who has built dozens of computers for various friends, and going off of what you said you would be using the rig for, I'd recommend this build (All prices are from Newegg. Giving AMD and Intel options):

Processor:
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz - $220.00 Link
-or-
AMD PhenomII X4 975 Black Edition 3.6GHz - $160.00 Link

Motherboard:
ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 - $190.00 Link
-or-
ASUS Sabretooth 990FX - $190.00 Link

Video Card: Radeon 6850 - $160.00 Link

Memory: Kingston HyperX 1600 2x4GB - $50.00 Link

Power Supply: Seasonic 650w - $140.00 Link

Case: Antec 300 Series - $70.00 Link

Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB - $85.00 Link

That should do everything you need, have room for upgrades and still come in under $1000. It comes to $915 for the Intel build and $885 for the AMD build. Newegg ships for free.
Zoki
<Member>
Zoki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2012 1:55pm | Report
But he needs monitor aswell, so I would personally invest little less into motherboard, so he can get decent monitor. If there wasn't that need, I would still choose cheaper motherboard and invest money in better Ram/graphics.

Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure.
Sigs made by: LaCorpse, jhoijhoi, Katoki, JEFFY40HANDS, The_Nameless_Bard and Sk1llbug
-||- Check out my Master Yi guide -||-
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2012 3:14pm | Report
I dun trust Blz.
His choices in MB, GPU, memory and HDD seem kinda strange.
(mostly being that the MB and HDD are so overpriced, but that may just be different pricing in my country)
"He cooked cake." - MrCuddowls

"Oh forget it, I have nothing to hid, I admit it, 12 hours of every single day of my life ever since I was eleven years old have been anal sex with canoes" - MrCuddowls
Blze001
<Member>
Blze001's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2012 5:55pm | Report
As for the motherboard and HDD being overpriced, they aren't really. The motherboard is the most important part of a computer and the ones I picked have plenty of room for upgrading and improving his box as the years go on.

The HDD is actually cheaper than other 7200rpm, 500gb drives. Unless you go sketchy off-brand.

I'd look for a slightly cheaper mobo, if you don't mind taking a hit on expandability (If you don't plan on ever going SLI/CrossFire, non-SLI boards are significantly cheaper), a less pricey GPU and maybe a smaller initial HDD. That should free up some room for the cost of a monitor.
Freddy Shopan
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2012 6:56pm | Report
I've run Seagate before. They're only meh for me... And if you can avoid getting a hard drive for some months, go for it. Flood has all the prices doubled right now.

motherboard is overpriced because it's Asus. You can get the same thing from ASRock cheaper. They make solid mobos.

I've never had any issues with Kingston memory, though.

Agree with Searz. GPU is a weird choice, too.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide