Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

New computer build, help please?

Creator: mastajdog January 3, 2012 1:31pm
mastajdog
<Editor>
mastajdog's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2012 8:30pm | Report
thanks for all the help so far. here's what i'm looking at:
intel core i5 2500K sandy bridge (been mentioned, one of the most popular currently)
EVGA NVIDIA 550 Ti [/url
SeaSonic M12II 620W
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
either the raidmax viper or the antec 300 case
MSI P67A-G43

as the mobo.

moniter i have no idea, but i'm thinking the Hanns-G 21.5 in screen.

hard drive i'm build locally, unfortuinately it can't wait. picking it up at the local computer since they're 5 minutes away, i trust them (several years of dealing) and they can beat online prices and reliability.

EDIT: in response to the do i need a video card question: i'm planning on also doing some serious graphic design (i have a few high end programs, and am going to be getting the CS5 master suite soon) so definently i'm going to be needing a powerful one. definently desktop not professional though.
Mastajdog, "You shall bow in the presence of the masta."
please +rep if i've been helpful at all, and come check out my guides!
credits to The Nameless Bard and greynadefor the awsome signatures, and me for the others.
Blze001
<Member>
Blze001's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2012 9:43pm | Report
The GeForce can handle graphic design pretty well, you should be fine unless you do serious CAD stuff that requires a ton of rendering. The big thing that Quadros have over GeForces is a ton more memory and tweaked architecture more suited for precise rendering. GeForces are about speed (They need to keep up with games) and don't do the super accurate rendering or have as much memory.

I've never used Hanns-G, so I can't judge if that's a good choice. I'm using an Acer right now. It's cheap and the stand is wobbly, but it's bright and crisp.
Freddy Shopan
<Member>
Freddy Shopan's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 5, 2012 10:12pm | Report
Only one thing matters for video cards for your graphic design. Do you have to do any 3-d rendering? If you don't, you don't need a powerful graphics card. Just memory and processor speed.

Never liked MSI or Hanns as far as brands go... The reviews look pretty good, though.

The Antec case is good. Never heard of the raidmax one, but that usb 3.0 port seems delicious. But if you get that one, make sure that your motherboard doesn't only support usb 3.0, but also has a connection to hook up your front ports. My friend made that mistake, so he's only got his usb 3 in the back working.

what about this screen? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009315
mastajdog
<Editor>
mastajdog's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 6, 2012 4:41am | Report
thanks... that's one thing i've looked at. definently not going to get a workstation graphics card such as the quadros: reasons?
workstation:
pros:good rendering, noticable on huge displays
cons:like 1 (albeit great looking) fps on about any display
tldr: if you've got all the time in the world to make a rediculously high res 3-d model/movie, go with this

desktop/gaming:
pros: great fps on anything, runs at a good res
cons: can't go as high end due to producing so many frames per second
tldr: if you're not making a living doing 3d/video making, go with this

i'm getting a desktop.

but as to the monitor, i think i'll probably end up with a Acer
casewise: the raidmax is a brand-new (less than a month since it's been released), but several people have been sent and reviewed it that i've looked at. main thing is it's a good price, just the side fan is noisy and the side panel doesn't have a mass amount of space for the cabels. however, its got good cable management

as to the msi motherboard: i've read close to 400 reviews on it and the msi series of motherboards: it's a good deal and good quality. interesting idea with the clickable BIOS, but works great. definetly gonna stick with that.

i'll be looking a bit more at monitors.
Mastajdog, "You shall bow in the presence of the masta."
please +rep if i've been helpful at all, and come check out my guides!
credits to The Nameless Bard and greynadefor the awsome signatures, and me for the others.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 6, 2012 11:58am | Report
@Blz
He's a normal user. So he can get away with using almost any cheap MB.
Sabertooth is great, BUT not unless you're an advanced user.
It's rarely worth saving your MB when upgrading. Most new CPUs use new MBs.

Again; it may just be different pricing but I got a 1TB Samsung HDD with 7200RPM for about 65€ a few months ago.
Oh and the HDD is high quality too ofc. My old 1TB Samsung drive has served me well for about 6years now amd I've been using a LOT.
Your choice in HDD seems horribly overpriced in comparison..
Funny thing is that he said that he doesn't want a HDD, so it doesn't matter anyways.
"Nothing says I like you more than letting you drink my filtered urine." - deityignis

"MY WHOLE LIFE IS A WANK." - WTTNHK

"There are boobs...LOTS OF BOOBS. And then Obama comes out of no where." - JEFFY40HANDS, on Air Gear
Freddy Shopan
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 6, 2012 12:04pm | Report
^ spinpoint? Those HDD's are solid. My friend runs 3 of them. xP Really quiet.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 6, 2012 12:17pm | Report
Possibly. I remember my old one being sumthin F1 and the new one being sumthin F3.
I think that sumthin is spinpoint and they're quiet indeed :)
I think I'll get a third one and run them in RAID. 2TB is good enuff for me anyways, just using 1.5 atm.
"Nothing says I like you more than letting you drink my filtered urine." - deityignis

"MY WHOLE LIFE IS A WANK." - WTTNHK

"There are boobs...LOTS OF BOOBS. And then Obama comes out of no where." - JEFFY40HANDS, on Air Gear
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 6, 2012 12:24pm | Report
The problem with normal GPUs is that they render too quickly? wat

I don't understand what makes a normal GPU and a professional (or whatever they're called) so different.
I'm a strong independent black mage who don't need no mana.
Freddy Shopan
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 6, 2012 12:36pm | Report
yaya those are Samsung spinpoint HDD's. I recommend them for sure. No idea what he's talking about GPU wise haha. :P
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 6, 2012 12:47pm | Report
Searz wrote:

The problem with normal GPUs is that they render too quickly? wat

I don't understand what makes a normal GPU and a professional (or whatever they're called) so different.

Normal GPU = High cache speed, Low Memory, good throughput.

Workstation GPU = Medium cache speed, ****tons of Memory, medium throughput.

Basically, Normal GPU is an F1 Car, and the Workstation card is a giant ****ing dump truck.
Tri lane for life.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide