Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Official Mobafire PC thread

Creator: Vynertje August 3, 2015 11:59am
541 posts - page 22 of 55
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 5, 2015 5:03am | Report
Revived, didn't feel like making a new thread since this exist.

I'm buying a new headset because my current one (Siberia v2) is really worn out and feels uncomfortable after 1-2 hours of use. I don't have a clue which headsets are good though. I'm looking for something of same quality or better. I've really appreciated Siberia's sound + mic quality so those are the 2 main expects. I feel comfortable to spend around 80€

All help is appreciated.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 5, 2015 5:09am | Report
What are you planning to use your mic for? Only voice communication or something where you need more quality?
I AM NOT AFFECTED BY ELOHELL. NOOBS AND TROLLS NEVER RUIN MY RANKED GAMES.
I DON'T GET STUCK AND I NEVER GET ONLY 2LP FOR A WIN.

I AM UNRANKED.

also check out my Ryze guide
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 5, 2015 5:12am | Report
Just for voice communication but I use skype for my job so it would feel awkward to use bad microphone.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
mastrer1000
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 5, 2015 6:02am | Report
It is usually a better option to go with a decent pair of headphones and an additional mic.
For the mic, I recommend the Zalman ZM-MIC1 because it is really cheap(I am using german amazon as a reference which leaves 70€ for the headphones) and should have a decent enough sound quality.

For the headphones, it depends on your preferneces. Do you want open or closed ones? Neutral sound or not? Will you also be using them with your phone(or ipod/tablet whatever else in that size category)?
Also test whatever you buy first, whatever gets recommended might not be what you want(you obviously can't just check out a mic test on youtube for headphones).
That being said, I never listened to those myself, but from what the reviews look like, the Superlux HD681 seem to be 100€ headphones for 25€ which also leaves some money for a sound card(unless you are using a laptop)

edit: I completly forgot about external sound cards, my bad
Thanks to IPodPulse for this <3^
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 5, 2015 8:19am | Report
Kingston HyperX Cloud have risen in popularity greatly lately, much to my delight. They're great headphones. The sound quality is great, and they have a very neutral tone(close to life). Not bass heavy like most Siberia headsets are, but if you like heavy bass you can simply change that with a software equalizer in your PC. The rule of thumb is that you can make neutral headphones sound distorted (heavy bass/treble/whatever), but you cannot make distorted headphones sound neutral, which is why I'd say that neutral headphones is a very good idea.

The mic is decent, but if you care about sound quality you'd probably wanna get a Blue Microphone Snowball. It's kind of the ultimate starting mic for those that care about sound quality, but not enough to invest hundreds of dollars in it.
It is usually a better option to go with a decent pair of headphones and an additional mic.
For the mic, I recommend the Zalman ZM-MIC1 because it is really cheap(I am using german amazon as a reference which leaves 70€ for the headphones) and should have a decent enough sound quality.

Not really. You'd usually get a mic of similar quality on decent headsets. I've had that mic myself and the clip-on mechanism annoyed me to no end.
If sound quality is of actual importance he'd have to buy a proper separate mic, like Blue Microphone Snowball.
"I love the dirty bomb tag because i get either

a) posts about the game

b) current world affairs" - steel-sentry
mastrer1000
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 5, 2015 9:10am | Report
Searz wrote:

Not really. You'd usually get a mic of similar quality on decent headsets.

The way I was thinking was to get headphones that have better soud quality and a rougly equal mic compared to a gaming headset.

Searz wrote:

I've had that mic myself and the clip-on mechanism annoyed me to no end.

I just clipped mine to my keyboard cord. This is obviously a terible solution if you have mx blues or some other loud switches, but it worked for me.

Searz wrote:

If sound quality is of actual importance he'd have to buy a proper separate mic, like Blue Microphone Snowball.

A headset mic was good enough before. According to german amazon, the mic is ~55€, which doesn't really leave much room for headphones.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 5, 2015 9:23am | Report
I bought a Kingston HyperX Cloud about, I guess, a year ago on recommendation of Searz and I'll probably buy one again if this one gets destroyed for whatever reason. The sound quality is great and it comes with some handy extra chord and two sets of ear caps (one leather-like and one of that weird stuff I can't describe). Sometimes people complain that there's quite a bit of static in the microphone though. But I think that's due to me not paying any attention to the chord and interference from my desktop. You can judge for yourself anyway, I use it for inhouses too.

I don't know anything about headphones though, this was the first one I bought that's not insanely cheap. Just throwing this in here since I see it being recommended again.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 5, 2015 9:39am | Report
Sometimes people complain that there's quite a bit of static in the microphone though.

Do you plug the mic in through the front of the case? (assuming desktop, not laptop) That has a tendency to introduce interference. It could also be the motherboard using strange boost settings. Try to disable any gain boosts and see if that works better.
"I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m ****ing ******ed but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding." - Guuse

"uh, I identify as counterstrike and I find this globally offensive" - ???
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 5, 2015 9:47am | Report
The way I was thinking was to get headphones that have better soud quality and a rougly equal mic compared to a gaming headset.

Not bad thinking, but with good products like Cloud there's no reason to make it complicated. As long as you stay away from **** like Logitech/Razer/Siberia :P
(they all make bad headsets, not gonna comment on their other peripherals though)
Quoted:
I just clipped mine to my keyboard cord.

Uuuuh... that's gonna produce some pretty awful sound..
It's bound to pick up plenty of keyboard noise, even with quiet keyboards and the gain boosting required to pick up your voice far from the position the mic is intended to be used in is bound to introduce plenty of electronic noise.
Quoted:
A headset mic was good enough before. According to german amazon, the mic is ~55€, which doesn't really leave much room for headphones.

He said 80 for the headset. The mic can be bought at a later time if he really cares about it.
"We've had a few gloomy years with bad console ports, and what do we get in the light at the end of the console-tunnel? A tablet OS ported to PC." - Atlas Tasume, on Windows 8
mastrer1000
<Editor>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 5, 2015 10:15am | Report
Searz wrote:

Uuuuh... that's gonna produce some pretty awful sound..
It's bound to pick up plenty of keyboard noise, even with quiet keyboards and the gain boosting required to pick up your voice far from the position the mic is intended to be used in is bound to introduce plenty of electronic noise.

The way i set it up, it is rougly the same distance from the mic to the keyboard compared to where it would be if I put in on my headphona cable. You are prohably right about the electromagentic noise, but I only use it for voice communication and never got complaints(I did it because I would breath into the mic or produce unwanted noise by moving).

The advantage of my approach is that you can pick literally whatever you want. There aren't really many open gaming headsets for example.
Thanks to IPodPulse for this <3^

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide