Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

The Sam Pepper controversy

Creator: Searz September 26, 2014 2:48pm
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2014 3:55am | Report
I watched some prank-youtubers (mostly Josh Paler Lin and VitalyHD) the 2nd one often does things you desribed, but as your report went on, it derailed more and more.

Alot of youtubers are using this prank stuff to kiss girls/ask them out with weird methods for the sake of pranking.

But I've never seen/heard stuff that is so close to sexual harrassment as the ones by Sam Pepper (I don't even know him).

It's the internet.
It's an internet celebrity with alot of followers, therefore alot of haters.
And it's the internet with alot of attention *****s, so who the fk cares.

Unless there is a real newsreport about him raping underaged girls / girls.
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2014 4:09am | Report
Searz wrote:
Sure, that's a fair point. But take one look at his videos and it will be apparent that many of his videos involve making females uncomfortable by kissing or doing weird things to them, like handcuffing himself to them.
If somebody handcuffed him or herself to me then I'd be ****ing terrified. That's a gross violation of personal boundaries.
If he can do something like that on video it would not surprise me in the least if he goes much further off the screen.

BlueArtist wrote:
@XeresAce, assuming all the girls who allegedly claimed Sam Pepper assaulted them were lying, let's focus on his youtube videos. Just watch his videos. What he calls a "prank" is simply blatant sexual harassment in different forms. You could see every single one of them shows he is simply a sexual predator, and there really aren't any arguments against that fact, regardless of the authenticity of the girls' claims.

Agreed. He should definitely stop and measures have been taken against him already - does he deserve to go to court? Yes. Does he need to spend life in Jail? No, not unless we get further proof. Groping girls is not the same as rape... those are two completely different things. Considering how negatively he replied to laci green he seems beyond hope for redemption so they should probably just ban his videos, restrict him access from his account (thus restricting his source of income) and throw him in jail for a month or so.

I guess I was mistaken by calling this blown out of proportion since sexual assault isn't really seen as a big thing in my country, both on women and men. Things mostly get serious when rape happens or the sexual harassment is continuous. Nobody here really has the balls to do that either because chances are you'll get beat up the moment you try something fishy. My judgement was clouded... meh.

tl;dr **** sam pepper and everyone like him
Thanks to Koksei for the sig!
Jack Rubino
<Member>
Jack Rubino's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2014 5:11am | Report
Don't know the youtuber, but reading the whole thread gave me some hints. Anyway, what i understood is that he crossed the line and started to do no legit actions just cause was out of ideas for his videos and didn't really know how to go on with the channel. If that's the reason, he is even more idiot, sexual harassment can be funny some times when it's not over the top, but this dosen't justify to be doing it to random people on the streets that can have problems with it, who wouldn't have after all? Getting sexually harassed by a stranger, that would make everybody uncomfortable and a bit scared. From what i read, he(sam) takes that topic too lightly without even thinking that it could be disturbing for others and that it's not even close to be funny if you have a little part of your brain that works. Other then that, it could even be that he uses the videos and "social experiments"/"joke" excuses just to satisfy his insticts and feel godly in some way. There are more then 1 way where this story could end, but none could justify him.
"Yeah, I want you to be proud. I want you to be proud of me!"
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2014 6:07am | Report
Gotta be honest, sexual harassment isn't funny. ever.

Try getting cat-called on the street just for walking on it nearly every day of your life and then come tell me how funny you think it is (spoiler: it's not). I gotta cringe when people who generally don't have to deal with this nonsense say it's funny. Have any of you ever had people yell degrading, creepy things at you on the street purely because of your gender? I have, and will continue to, until which point it is no longer is considered socially acceptable.

Also, a lot the harassing actions displayed in his videos are illegal, at least in the US, and suggest escalation is likely if nothing is done.

This is not something to joke around about or blow off, if there is even the possibility he did any of the things alleged it needs to be taken seriously.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2014 6:43am | Report
I don't like him. He seems insincere as **** in his 'apology/reveal'. Doesn't register emotionally at all.
Jack Rubino
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2014 6:50am | Report
@nameless One thing is when people are idiot and do it every single ****ing day just to humiliate you, one thing is when it's between friends/people that are okay with it and dosen't care. Obviously the first one ain't right under any point of view, but as long as it dosen't do anything bad physically or mentally(and the person is ok with it) i don't see why blame it. Of course i'm not defending that guy in any way, i agree that he should stop and pay for it, but as i told before in this sentence that could look repetitive, if it's done just to humiliate a specific gender/person it's not funny at all, and i cannot fix humanity's stupidity. Nothing can. What we can, and should, do is making them pay for their errors and do not accept such things as ok or taking them as a minor problem. I hate when people treat the other persons/races/gender as a lower being with not the right to be at the same level. (which is what happens to you, i guess? i think i didn't fully understand your problem. What do you mean by getting cat-called on a street you walk on nearly everyday?)
"What time is it? IT'S ADVENTURE TIME!!!!!"
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2014 8:53am | Report
Jack Rubino, please spend more time on your comments, because they are very poorly written, both in terms of coherence and in terms of grammar.
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F Roberts
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2014 9:05am | Report
@Jack,
cat-calleing is when you whistle at a female and making sexual suggestions (you know how that looks like, dunno how to describe it in words).
Allthough, I can't really imagine it happening, unless they are super desperate :^) in context, no offense.
Jack Rubino
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2014 9:09am | Report
it's not like i have to write a detailed comment everytime, and sorry if i don't have both a perfect knowning of english grammar or about the discussion since i don't know the incriminated person, and as i can see, not everyone here know him and if you want to discuss something, and if you post it on a off topic section on a public website, you shouldn't expect that EVERYONE knows very well every detail of the conversation and just take the comments as they are, just personal judgments. Then if you think that ain't correct, i don't really care cause it's your opinion about it, and it's ok if you are referring to a subject that is important for you, or if you just want some in depth thought. Also if you are searching for a grammatically perfect chat and/or talk, you should go to speak to people whose first language is english(obliviously only if you can't take some minor grammar mistakes which do not really make the sentence impossible to understand, and it seems that it's enough to make you go off topic in the same thread you created)
"Fus-Ro Dah"
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 27, 2014 9:33am | Report
^ a lot of us here don't have English as a first language, just sayin'

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide