Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Ubisoft PC and the filthy nasty pirateses.

Creator: caucheka August 22, 2012 8:20am
1 2 3 4 5
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 22, 2012 8:20am | Report
Quoted:
Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot has stated that the amount of players paying for F2P microstransaction content is the same as those paying for full PC titles. Guillemot also stresses that free-to-play titles are an ideal anti-piracy solution for the publisher, stating that 95% of people playing its titles aren’t playing them legally.

In an interview with GI.biz, Guillemot explained, “We want to develop the PC market quite a lot and F2P is really the way to do it. The advantage of F2P is that we can get revenue from countries where we couldn’t previously – places where our products were played but not bought. Now with F2P we gain revenue, which helps brands last longer.”

“On PC it’s only around five to seven per cent of the players who pay for F2P,” Guillemot continued, “but normally on PC it’s only about five to seven per cent who pay anyway, the rest is pirated”

“It’s around a 93-95 per cent piracy rate, so it ends up at about the same percentage. The revenue we get from the people who play is more long term, so we can continue to bring content.”

Although Guillemot was quick to sing the praises of F2P, he warned that it is not precisely the future, not with new consoles on the horizon. He stressed that Ubisoft and others need to remain cautious with this ever-evolving market.

You can read the full interview here.

source = http://www.vg247.com/2012/08/22/ubisoft-pc-piracy-rate-around-95-f2p-is-the-way-forward/

really? is this supposed to be a ****ing joke ubisoft? you make ****ty console ports and load them up with as much drm as you possibly can then cry when people pirate your ****. not only that, but you have the balls to claim that for every 500000 copies sold, 9500000 copies are pirated. (thats 95% for those who can't do the math.)

maybe if you did a better job at not making ****ty ports, and reduce some of that drm, maybe more people would buy your games.

Quoted:
Woah. Stanislas Mettra, creative director at Ubisoft for I Am Alive, has something up his *** recently. You can't blame him, though. He's pissed about piracy, and that's why I Am Alive might not see a PC release.

"We’ve heard loud and clear that PC gamers are *****ing about there being no version for them," Mettra told IncGamers.com. "But are these people just making noise just because there’s no version or because it’s a game they actually want to play? Would they buy it if we made it?"

Damn, son! You'll feel less good about a PC version when you hear Mettra lay out then numbers required for a port:

"It’s hard because there’s so much piracy and so few people are paying for PC games that we have to precisely weigh it up against the cost of making it. Perhaps it will only take 12 guys three months to port the game to PC, it’s not a massive cost but it’s still a cost. If only 50,000 people buy the game then it’s not worth it."

http://www.destructoid.com/blame-piracy-i-am-alive-not-likely-for-pc-216414.phtml

Quoted:
"When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95% of our consumers will pirate the game," he claimed. "So we said okay, we have to change our mind.

"We have to adapt, we have to embrace this instead of pushing it away. That’s the main reflection behind Ghost Recon Online and the choice we’ve made to go in this direction."

http://www.destructoid.com/no-ghost-recon-future-soldier-on-pc-because-of-piracy--216450.phtml
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 22, 2012 12:20pm | Report
I don't understand how mentally deranged people can become leading in this ****ing business..

Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 22, 2012 3:14pm | Report
I honestly don't see anything wrong with what the dude said. It's a valid statement, if they're not going to make money then why would they bother porting it to pc?
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 22, 2012 4:22pm | Report
They're making TERRIBLE ports and complain about people not throwing money on them.
I don't even...
""Toshabi took thy **** and strucketh Hotshot in his face 'thou art no god'" Toshabi 3:16" - Toshabi

"And then, TheJohn said something so Brazilian that it made all the Brazilians in Brazil turn to look at him" - Toshabi

"abloobloo ur triggering me" - Toshabi
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 22, 2012 5:26pm | Report
If people pirate their games it's because the games are good enough to play. How sure are you that the people who pirate their games would start paying if ubisoft used more money to make better ports?
Pwnzor1130
<Member>
Pwnzor1130's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 22, 2012 8:32pm | Report
The only thing is that a lot of the time the games are clearly not fit for purpose and are lacking essential features or key items you need to have a decent PC title. Of course sales will be lower than expected if the product simply does not work as well as it should. Chalking that up to stating that 95% of ALL your games are pirated is simply a lazy excuse. The chances of that happening are extremely slim. The only game I have knowledge of that has an ACTUAL piracy rate that high is World of Goo.

Thanks to The Nameless Bard and Vavena for the sigs!
Yukimaru
<Member>
Yukimaru's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 22, 2012 9:15pm | Report
Its harder to pirate console-games then PC Games, thats true, i mean PS3 is only softmodable(so u can play illegal games on it) around version X.5(just insert in X the newest number and subtract 1), Wii and Xbox are easy as ****.

But that 5% Statement is complete ******** and just a silly excuse, by now i know more people who are NOT Pirating then people who are pirating, and i pirate like 99% of all my games.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 22, 2012 10:30pm | Report
well technically, its easier to pirate on ps3/xbox, but you need a hacked ps3/xbox to do it. once you get yours hacked though its easy as ****.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2012 4:10am | Report
So.. you guys are claiming that the 95% is ********. Do you have any evidence to back up your statements or do you just like taking things out of your ***es and pretend it has any meaning whatsoever?
Anastasios
<Member>
Anastasios's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2012 4:33am | Report
caucheka wrote:

for every 500000 copies sold, 9500000 copies are pirated. (thats 95% for those who can't do the math.)

That would actually be 1900%. That's kind of messed up math, no? 95% of 500k would be 475K. I guess it was a simple error that slipped your attention.

Anyway, I don't really follow the story with Ubisoft and consoles and stuff, but to me it seems the guy has a point. You may think that the 95% statistic is a lie, but judging from me and everyone I know, it's highly likely that it's true, so I gotta side with Canoas on this one.

Many thanks to MissMaw, LaCorpse, Xiron, Arcana3 and Joxuu for making me sigs!
1 2 3 4 5

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide