Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Vegetarianism...An Ethics Piece

Creator: Blydden October 18, 2011 12:24pm
1 2 3 4
Blydden
<Member>
Blydden's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 12:24pm | Report
Short Question: MobaFire community, just how much/little meat/flesh do you consume? Carnivore, Vegan, Vegetarian, Demi-Vegetarian, etc.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: I feel a need to point out I'm not for PETA, for these farming practices, etc. I'd like to think I'm being as objective as possible in this debate/piece. Personally, I split this particular moral case down the middle; Demi-Vegetarian. Not carnivore, not herbivore, omnivore, as nature intended. I'm also not forcing anyone on anything. I just wanna know what the MobaFire forum thinks. I'm a curious S.O.B..

Okay, so I just sat through a 90 minute lecture on Vegetarianism in my college Philosophy (Ethics) class today. Basically:

-25 minutes spent on Ethical Theorem
-20 minutes spent on watching PETA videos (*shiver*)
-25 minutes spent on number facts
-10 minutes spent on the professor's own vegetarianism journey
-10 minutes answering questions

So, I'm a demi-vegetarian and am thus, only half as guilty about eating meat as I would have been otherwise...

Some interesting facts:

-Out of 56 million acres, only about 7% (4 million) of land for meat agriculture is spent on actual meat...the rest, about 93% (52 million), is land TO make grain TO feed the animals...when using all the land to grow soy instead would produce 10 times more food for people...wheat 50 times as much. So THIS is why people are going hungry eh?...its pretty scarily efficient when you break it down even more...
-97% of poultry are unethically raised (yes, even the organic stuff is factory farmed)
-98% of pork products are unethically raised (still yes, even the organic stuff is factory farmed)
-52% of dairy (cow) products are unethically raised (yeah, even the organic stuff can be factory farmed)
-74% of beef (cattle) products are unethically raised (yesh, even the organic stuff can be factory farmed)
-To circumvent the "kosher" requirement for beef, slaughterhouses cut out the cow's windpipe before slaughter.
-Stun guns are surprisingly ineffective at anesthetizing animals for slaughter.
-The average beef patty is made out of flesh from 1,000 different, individual cows.
-To qualify as organic, such farm animals must NEVER be given medication. That means animals raised on such farms get sick and die from easily curable illnesses...kind of a tough choice between NEVER given medications and CONSTANTLY given medications.

I'm not exactly going out to join PETA mind you, and I know this is a gaming forum, but I think the majority of the people on the forum are intelligent people and the forum could perhaps maybe benefit from philosophical debate.

So I ask you, MobaFire, would you, could you, should you eat Alistar?

Fantastic artwork by Xiaowiriamu & TheNamelessBard!
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
PotatisFarfar's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 12:29pm | Report
Quoted:
So I ask you, MobaFire, would you, could you, should you eat Alistar?

Nothing tastes better than a nice piece of meat, some grilled potato wedges and a nice sauce to top it off.

I respect vegetarians, but i will never ever become one of em.

And to not forget it is human nature to eat other animals...
Blydden
<Member>
Blydden's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 12:34pm | Report

Nothing tastes better than a nice piece of meat, some grilled potato wedges and a nice sauce to top it off.

I respect vegetarians, but i will never ever become one of em.

And to not forget it is human nature to eat other animals...

I'm not saying swear off meat or such products entirely. Lamb, mutton, venison, elk, et cetera (non-streamlined meats) are usually farm-raised ethically, due to lower demand. I'm just wondering, instead of steak/poultry/bacon, why not go Greek and try some sheep?

JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 12:36pm | Report
Personally anytime a veggieterrorist even remotely suggests that I'm endorsing violence because I eat meat. Or that I'm somehow a bad person for eating meat, I tell them to go **** themselves. I don't force feed them hamburgers they don't need to force feed me their personal opinions. I eat meat they don't, I'm surviving on what God gave us. But that's juuusttt meee
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 12:37pm | Report
Quoted:
Out of 56 million acres, only about 7% (4 million) of land for meat agriculture is spent on actual meat...the rest, about 93% (52 million), is land TO make grain TO feed the animals...when using all the land to grow soy instead would produce 10 times more food for people

but soy and tofu is nasty. the vast majority of people would eat beef.

Quoted:
97% of poultry are unethically raised (yes, even the organic stuff is factory farmed)

what exactly does 'unethically raised' mean? its just a chicken why should i care anyway.

Quoted:
The average beef patty is made out of flesh from 1,000 different, individual cows.

so? they just take all the beef and throw it in one machine. just like when you buy meat at the market its not all from the same animal.

Quoted:
To qualify as organic, such farm animals must NEVER be given medication. That means animals raised on such farms get sick and die from easily curable illnesses...kind of a tough choice between NEVER given medications and CONSTANTLY given medications.

thats just ******ed. if an animal gets sick and can be easily cured then you should cure it.

tl;dr is it sad that after watching supersize me i was like 'damn now i want some mcdonalds'?
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Wintermond
<Member>
Wintermond's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 12:38pm | Report
It's everyones own thing if he/she is vegetarian or not.
Vegetarians should respect carnivores and carnivores should respect vegetarians.

But I don't know how people can consume meat everyday(I eat meat once or twice a week) or eat stuff at McDonald's or similar "restaurants".

El Psy Congroo.

|You can't spell slaughter without laughter.|

KingCasanova
<Member>
KingCasanova's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 12:41pm | Report
We are called omnivores for a reason. not herbivores or carnivores. Food is food.
Want a nice Sig? KingCasanova's Sig Corner
Current Main Champs: Volibear, Wukong, Amumu, Shyvana, Fizz
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
PotatisFarfar's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 12:45pm | Report
By the way.

smoked Moose meat is probably the most delicious thing you will ever eat.

I feel bad for you that have to get "fake" moose :<...

And as many pointed out. Do your thing, just don't force your thing on others...

And i watched some documentary on the food industry, think it was called "food inc." They revealed some pretty disgusting stuff about food corps (atleast in the US.) But then again it is just animals breeded to be killed, i don't really care if they get tortured, there were existence is to be killed any way :S.
Blydden
<Member>
Blydden's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 12:46pm | Report
caucheka wrote:

but soy and tofu is nasty. the vast majority of people would eat beef.Pretty sure people would eat breads/pastries. You left out the part I said where wheat would produce 50 times more food for people. ;P

what exactly does 'unethically raised' mean? its just a chicken why should i care anyway. Meaning it causes unreasonably high pain and suffering. (abuse, cramped conditions, sickness, improper diet, etc.) Chickens, pigs, cows, fish, etc.,, are all proven to be smarter than some primates, and even some humans. Maybe that's just my morality speaking though. A chicken isn't just a rock. It thinks. It feels pain and suffering and has emotions.

so? they just take all the beef and throw it in one machine. just like when you buy meat at the market its not all from the same animal.Considering not all 1,000 cows come from the same part of the world, you have to wonder about that one cow from China, that one cow from Taiwan, that one cow from New Jersey, etc.

thats just ******ed. if an animal gets sick and can be easily cured then you should cure it. Ayup.

tl;dr is it sad that after watching supersize me i was like 'damn now i want some mcdonalds'? Pretty sure Spurlock's scene of orange regurgitation cured me of that.

caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 12:47pm | Report
also peta is a joke. its all scare tactics and ******ation.

someone posted a minecraft video on youtube of a pig farm, where pig spawners would spawn pigs to die and farm pork.

and peta told him to destroy it. seriously peta?
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
1 2 3 4

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide