Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Need a Suggestion

Creator: Rhaegar14 March 30, 2011 11:03pm
1 2
Rhaegar14
<Member>
Rhaegar14's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 30, 2011 11:03pm | Report
I typically run an AP Katarina build in a premade that's most stable members consist of myself, an Amumu, and an AP Akali / laning Nocturne. At any rate, I usually end up carrying our team because I'm the most experienced, know my champion extremely well, and have Amumu backing me up.

Today, however, I was playing a game, and the entire enemy team pretty much made it's mission in life to screw me over. Blitz was routinely holding his ult until I Shunpo'd in to Death Lotus (and if he didn't catch me with that one he'd interrupt it with something else as soon as he was able), and both Olaf and the enemy Nocturne were pretty viciously focusing me down.

So my question is, what do you do in this kind of situation where you're being absolutely hard-countered? Banshee's Veil is the obvious answer to excessive interrupts, but this time around it wasn't enough. I started out trying to itemize AD/hybrid so that I could have a quarter-decent auto attack when my ult was inevitably interrupted, and then later I started buying tank items after I noticed I was being focused, but I don't know if I made the right picks. And not to make myself overly important to the team structure, but when I get shut down we pretty routinely lose. So... suggestions?
Jvstm
<Member>
Jvstm's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 31, 2011 12:51am | Report
Try a new champion.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 31, 2011 12:53am | Report
Katarina should be played with at least 2 Hextech Gunblades as her 2 most important spells now scale with AD and AP. With that she'll get great amounts of health back by just using spells and attacking. Having a decent auto attack is not needed on Kata, but with Gunblade you get it as a bonus. You also get the lovely 300dmg and 50% slow active.
Rylai's Crystal Scepter and Void Staff are also mandatory, but I assume you knew that already. Those items provide lots of utility and survivability.

If you still can't handle the enemy disables you might want a Banshee's Veil.
As long as you got those items and a good start then your enemies will definitely have trouble shutting you up.
"We've had a few gloomy years with bad console ports, and what do we get in the light at the end of the console-tunnel? A tablet OS ported to PC." - Atlas Tasume, on Windows 8
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 31, 2011 5:50am | Report
Jvstm wrote:

Try a new champion.

This.

Katarina is a very situational champion, it's so easy to counter her it's ridiculous. If they have any amount of targetable CC/disable, you're screwed. Katarina can pubstomp because in blind pick no one counter-picks her.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 31, 2011 5:55am | Report
I think Blitz was made to counter Katarina... oh! Looks who's free! =(
Australians, the best gamers in the world combined with the worst ping.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 31, 2011 11:56am | Report
Tell your allies to get better.

Doesn't matter what champion you are, if the enemy has good cc / anti-carries and can recognize you as the main threat, it's up to your allies to make up for your inevitable deaths by killing them while you're being focused.

Otherwise, get a new champion.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Chaotic Bliss
<Member>
Chaotic Bliss's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 31, 2011 12:26pm | Report
Well this is the way I see it. If you are the first to die than you are doing something wrong. Im not a regular Kat player, but its always been my understanding that she is a clean up champion and never should be the first into a fight.

When I do play her however, I make sure that my tank is already in, there is some significant dmg already done to the enemy team, and that most of the enemies ults have been used before I KI>Shunpo>Lotus>BB.

Again thats just me. I dont think there has ever been a time where I have been first to die, unless Im ganked or Blitz hooked into the enemy team.

But changing champs is always good to.

Links below lead to victory. Choose your path

Pillars of Justice

Seeds of Chaos

Open your minds

Skype me at: chaotic_bliss1
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 31, 2011 12:33pm | Report

Well this is the way I see it. If you are the first to die than you are doing something wrong. Im not a regular Kat player, but its always been my understanding that she is a clean up champion and never should be the first into a fight.

When I do play her however, I make sure that my tank is already in, there is some significant dmg already done to the enemy team, and that most of the enemies ults have been used before I KI>Shunpo>Lotus>BB.

Again thats just me. I dont think there has ever been a time where I have been first to die, unless Im ganked or Blitz hooked into the enemy team.

But changing champs is always good to.

What everyone said. Look at your team comp, you need at least a good silence on your team to shut the people up who can counter you.

And keep in mind, this won't happen often, but some games, everybody just gets owned hard/focused down. It happens :/

and @ Chaotic,

if you have enough CDR, KI > Shunpo > KI > BB > DL

since, they will take reduced healing during your channel

it will hurt moar.

:)

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Rhaegar14
<Member>
Rhaegar14's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 31, 2011 2:52pm | Report
My typical build order is Boots (I get Treads if I need the CC reduction, otherwise Swiftness for chasing/harass), double Hextech Revolver, Rylai's, Rabadon's, and then from there I adapt to the situation. My itemization was weird because I was getting destroyed.

@Searz: I'd argue Shunpo is more important than Bouncing Blade, because the single-target nuke helps her finish off weakened enemies to trigger her passive.

I don't initiate with Katarina... usually our Amumu jumps in with his ult and then I jump in with mine behind him. But Amumu, love him to death, can only hold people down for three seconds if they're smart enough not to waste time focusing him. And Nocturne has that nasty little Paranoia.

At any rate, I heard at least four people tell me to try a new champion. Who would you guys recommend? Our team dynamic is primarily built around combining Curse of the Sad Mummy with Death Lotus. Also, I've been playing Kat since Summoner Level 10 or so, and I'm at 30 now... she's easily my best champion. So if there are any champions who work similarly but are a little more difficult to counter outright (I've considered Irelia for this more than once) I'd love to hear your recommendations.
Chaotic Bliss
<Member>
Chaotic Bliss's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 1, 2011 8:45am | Report
Do you play US or EU? If you roll US, Im sure me and a few others will gladly do some house games to try and find you someone you can adapt to. Or you can browse guides here to find something you might like.

Since you like to clean up, I think Pantheon would be good for you. IMO the best AD glass cannon out there. Has a stun, 100% crit against targets belowe 15% HP, ranged attack, killer passive, and a map wide Ult. You might want to check him out. If you do... Stay away form my guide for him. Its not for beginning Patheons.

Links below lead to victory. Choose your path

Pillars of Justice

Seeds of Chaos

Open your minds

Skype me at: chaotic_bliss1
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide