Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

AS Offtank (would it work?)

Creator: darkr3x September 20, 2011 6:50pm
Vort
<Member>
Vort's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 21, 2011 12:07pm | Report
Khazem wrote:

Udyr/Cho'gath are 2 examples of tanky champions on which attack speed works very well. Wit's End + red buff combined with Vorpal Spikes on Cho'gath is really effective and makes you do quite alot of damage while still being able to build tanky as hell.
Same thing on Udyr, grab a wit's end, activate phoenix stance, profit.

Was just about to bring cho up. He's absurdly good with attack speed. Wit's End + Atma's is all the auto attack damage output you'll need on him, for the entirety of most games. In rare situations, you might consider a bloodrazor as a 6th item, but it's often not necessary.

Holy Toledo, Batman, It's Cho'Gath!
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 21, 2011 1:30pm | Report
he used to deal more damage to turrets.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 21, 2011 1:34pm | Report
^^ Best part is, it was used in a pro tourney.
He never was in teamfights. He just backdoored FTW.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 21, 2011 1:35pm | Report
hah, no way.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 21, 2011 1:40pm | Report
Cauch, you didn't see Hotshotgg playing Cho at IEM?

Wit's was his second item all day I believe.

Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 21, 2011 2:15pm | Report
Wit's End is great on most tanky DPS. It's the only item that works good tho.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
darkr3x
<Member>
darkr3x's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 21, 2011 3:15pm | Report
Well since it seems like the consensus is that the AS based Offtank model isn't quite right for Alistar, but might very well work with Jax, Cho'Gath, Shen or Udyr (and I'm going to test it on Jax as soon as I can). The question now then is: what of the build right now works for the concept of a drop in, beat, and chase down survivors Offtank? What needs to be added? Is Phantom Dancer + Mobility Boots overkill in terms of MS? Does Randuin's Omen fit better than Sherulya's Reverie in assisting the chase down? Does the Sunfire Aegis even contribute beyond harass? Is Zeke's Harbinger worth the aura? What about Frozen Heart? Is Trinity Force a worthwile pick up? What Raddabon's Deathcap or Rod of Ages?

I know I need these at core:
A gp/5 item so that my carry can get the main farm
Visage to boost healing and a small cdr boost
boots of some kind (treads or ganks)

The missing pieces are:
A worthwile armor/magic resist boost
A AoE effect that allows me to support team fights
Either more CDR or more oomph

Current Champ: Alistar "Free Reign Beef" (Beta)
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 21, 2011 6:07pm | Report
Depends on which champion your talking about. SV is good on some ppl and not so good on others. I wouldn't get it on Jax myself.

PD and BoM are bad items for any offtank, for almost any champion in the game actually.

Randuin's Omen is an amazing item for an offtank and is tons better then Shureyla on an offtank. SFC is ok if you are going like super offensive tanky or if you already have something like it (like for Udyr and his Phoenix say). Starks is a great item for some junglers but otherwise Wriggles is almost always better, unless you have like 4 AD melee champions. Frozen Heart is a great item on anyone who needs mana or cdr. Triforce is a great item on almost all offtanks since it adds to your damage so much, and is generally all you need.

Rabbadon's is usually bad cause of it's cost and only increasing your damage. Rylai's or RoA is usually better, for sure.

Vort
<Member>
Vort's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 21, 2011 7:19pm | Report
Phantom Dancer is a fantastic followup item for someone who already has a ton of damage. Most offtanks make better use of other items.
Mobility Boots are fantastic if you're roaming or going for a lot of ganks, but they're pretty sub-par if you're laning. If it's just the speed you're going for, Boots of Swiftness might be the way to go. Tenacity, however, is very important -- almost necessary on most offtanks, so make sure to cover that in some way, shape, or form. I personally grab both a Philosopher's Stone and Heart of Gold, most of the time, when I play lane support. Even if I don't end up building one of them into something, the gold you make off of them by the time you want to sell them, more than makes up for the cost. Sunfire Aegis is a great tanky dps item for certain tanky dps champs, most notably, in my opinion, phoenix stance Udyr. It's not great on all of them, however. I probably wouldn't often build it on a less mobile champion such as Cho'Gath. And now i'm pretty much repeating Nighthawk.

Holy Toledo, Batman, It's Cho'Gath!
darkr3x
<Member>
darkr3x's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 21, 2011 8:06pm | Report
The feedback is great guys!

Just finished up a game and went 5/5/14 with this load out
Ruby to start
Went back for HoG at 350
Stayed out until I could pick up Treads
Next I snagged Zeal for that extra bit of AS and MS
Bought Glacial Shroud after I got downed hard in a 1v2
Grabbed the visage once we started pushing their base
Bumped up to Frozen and built Emblem of Valor

All in all it worked out well, though most of my success was well timed headbutts and a couple tower dives. Which says I'm more so getting better at playing than the build's success. I'll keep at it.^^

Also, I switched up the cdr/lv glyphs for flat cdr glyphs and that really helped with those early skirmishes.

Current Champ: Alistar "Free Reign Beef" (Beta)

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide