Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Berserker boots, buy them and let your enemy...

Creator: mdsn December 12, 2011 11:07am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
UknowsI
<Member>
UknowsI's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2012 8:36pm | Report
Snookemz wrote:

There isn't really any context as it's just part of a guide that is discussing alternative item choices for Xerath.

I didn't link to the Guide as i got the pop up box when i tried and didn't want to cause any drama.

I've never seen anything like that mentioned before so i was just after clarification as i didn't understand it nor was i sure if it was even correct.

The context is very important. The person in the guide most likely assumed that you already have Void Staff, 10% MR pen mastery and level 5 Locus of Power. Their MR would then already be reduced by 62% (his numbers seems a little off, at least I can't get it to 69%) and if you then add sorc boots it will only give 12 additional armour pen instead of 20.

It is irrelevant whether sorc boots reduce the armour pen from void staff or the other way around. Mathematically it is equivalent, but by assuming that you already have 62% magic pen, you could say that the penetration from sorc boots are reduced.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2012 9:00pm | Report
UknowsI wrote:

It is irrelevant whether sorc boots reduce the armour pen from void staff or the other way around. Mathematically it is equivalent, but by assuming that you already have 62% magic pen, you could say that the penetration from sorc boots are reduced.

No. The numbers are completely different if you change the order that the penetration is applied in.

Example. They have 100 MR.
If Void staff's/locust of power's penetration kicks in penetration first(which it doesn't), you penetrate 40%/30% dropping it down to 60/70 and then your sorc shoes kick in dropping him to 40/50.

The other way around though...
100->80 from sorc shoes. Then, 40%/30% from Void staff/locust of power bringing him down to 48/56. Much better than the percentage applying first.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
UknowsI
<Member>
UknowsI's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2012 9:53pm | Report
Lugignaf wrote:

No. The numbers are completely different if you change the order that the penetration is applied in.

Example. They have 100 MR.
If Void staff's/locust of power's penetration kicks in penetration first(which it doesn't), you penetrate 40%/30% dropping it down to 60/70 and then your sorc shoes kick in dropping him to 40/50.

100->80 from sorc shoes. Then, 40%/30% from Void staff/locust of power bringing him down to 48/56. Much better than the percentage applying first.

I think you misunderstood me. I am not trying to argue about the order which they are applied. My point was that some people believe that the void staff make the sorc boots less effective, while some believe that the sorc boots makes the void staff less effective. However, it is the combination of the two which is less effective, and it is absurd to try to figure out one item to blame for the diminishing effectiveness. However, if you consider one item a part of your core build that you must build, then it would be reasonable to say that any additional item would be less effective. So if you have a void staff in your core build and want to pick shoes, then it would be ok to say that the sorc boots only provide 12 MR, but if you have sorc boots in your core build and want to pick the Mask or Void Staff, then it would be fair to say that the effectiveness of the void staff is less because you already have sorc boots.

If sorc boots is in your core build, void staff will provide an additional 32 MR pen against a 100 MR enemy. (80-48)
If void staff is in your core build, sorc boots will provide an additional 12 MR pen against a 100 MR enemy. (60-48)

I also think you have one small mistake.
Lugignaf wrote:

Your calculations are absolutely correct, but I think you made a small spelling mistake in your last sentence. Applying the percentage first would of course be much stronger, which you have already shown.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 26, 2012 10:08am | Report
I also wrote it late at night so, yes. I did make a mistake.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 27, 2012 9:55am | Report
Due to the inherent nature of order of operations, you can technically point a finger at one or the other :P
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide