Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Hybrid Offtank Trynd and Teemo, thoughts?

Creator: markthema3 April 18, 2012 12:42pm
markthema3
<Member>
markthema3's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 18, 2012 12:42pm | Report
I was thinking about solotop champs, and in teh current meta, most of them are offtanks. However, there are a few outliers. Tryndamere and Teemo are almost always built glass cannon ad. Both of them have abilities that scale off of ap. Their weaknesses are that both are squishy, and neither one takes full advantage of all of their abilities. Why not build them as hybrid offtanks? Trynd's ult would be even more useful as you wouldn't have to worry about it's CD as much, as his q heals for a lot with some ap built in, as it has one of the best AP ratios in the game (150% 0.o). Even if the only ap you build is from, say, a rod of ages (for the health/ap combo), you're gonna get quite a bit of health back. All of Teemo's abilities scale off of AP, I've never figured out why people don't build a combination of health, ap, and attack speed on him. With around 200 AP, if toxic shot is rank 5, a single hit could deal 305 magic damage plus his base ad. That's a lot of damage for a single hit.

Any thoughts about why this is rarely if ever seen in PvP matches?
Cho'Gath:

OM NOM NOM!

Nocturne (muffled):

DAAAAAAAAAARKNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

centurion911
<Member>
centurion911's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 18, 2012 1:20pm | Report
Trynd is an offensive powerhouse. The more glass cannon-y he is, the better (proportionally) his ult is. If you're fed enough to build a full set of AP/defensive items as Trynd, you're fed enough to buy the same offensive items and still have a lot of survivability with his ult and enough mobility to chase/get away.

There ARE AP Teemo builds but his Mushrooms are what really scales off AP and those are shut down with an Oracles. The Toxic Shot might do 305 extra damage but most of it's applied as a DoT. So it's not 305 damage per shot, it's 305 damage over time after you stop trading +the initial poison damage per shot. On Hit builds do it better than this, and with Teemo's mobility he can afford to be squishy.

Just my take on it.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 18, 2012 1:31pm | Report
The most defense I buy on Tryn is Frozen Mallet and GA. Admittedly very good items, you'll break 3k HP with a red pot and be ***n invincible.

Offtanky Teemo? Not sure if srs or trolling...
Klausenheim
<Member>
Klausenheim's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2012 12:26pm | Report
I just don't see how this would be more viable than the regular builds for Tryndamere and Teemo. You are trading efficiency just to make them...more like everyone else?

If you want a tankier solo top, then just pick one of the multitude of tanky DPS top characters. Problem solved.

Leave us weirdos alone with our handful of non-tank top laners.
You can't peddle papooses with a dancing monkey.
Fuggernought
<Member>
Fuggernought's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2012 12:32pm | Report
Wits end Madreds frozen mallet guardian angel teemo used to be popular and is still very tanky, AP teemo with deathfire, RoA and Hat is still kind of popular, because streamers trolled with it, trynda just isnt viable hybrid, he must be build so you exploit the most of his ultimate and critchance
markthema3
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2012 2:40pm | Report
Thanks for the input. I agree with the points on trynd's crit chance.

@DuffTime
I'm not sure what's wrong with tank/ap/as teemo.

Perhaps start with cloth armor, build it into razor, then boots (merc treads or sorcerer's shoes), then build a malady, roll that into a nashor's tooth. Then a rod of ages, zhonya's, roll the razor into a bloodrazor, then a deathcap, than a phantom dancer.

So you'd wind up with

The goal is to make the shrooms hurt like hell and proc toxic shot as fast as you can at the same time as being more survivable than your typical glass cannon ad teemo. You could swap the PD for a second nashor's.
Cho'Gath:

OM NOM NOM!

Nocturne (muffled):

samgoeslol
<Member>
samgoeslol's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 19, 2012 4:42pm | Report
one question off the bat
who builds teem as glass cannon?
i dont know any1 who plays a good teemo building that way...
most people go for a defensive runesetup with a wriggles wits mallet GA and stuff like that
greez sam
<-summonername on EUW: strawhatbro
check out my blog
+rep if you like my posts^^
watch my stream
follow me on twitter and facebook
markthema3
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 20, 2012 9:18am | Report
I didn't really consider runes. I guess wit's end, but that's not exactly a lot of defense. I just see a lot of teemos w/o any ap other than a malady. Just seems squishier than a lot of other solo tops. Mundo, Olaf, Warwick, Riven, a lot of your typical solo tops are pretty tanky, and teemo seems relatively squishy in that kind of company.
Cho'Gath:

OM NOM NOM!

Nocturne (muffled):

Klausenheim
<Member>
Klausenheim's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 20, 2012 10:39am | Report
A lot of people build either on-hit/AS or pure AD Carry [Teemo]].

If you do go the on-hit/AS route, you generally pick up some decent tanky items along the way, like Wit's End or Frozen Mallet.

I don't think AP Teemo is really favored these days. Due to the nature of his Toxic Shot (multiple hits don't stack, they simply refresh the DoT poison) you don't actually benefit much from stacking AP outside of his shrooms.
You can't peddle papooses with a dancing monkey.
markthema3
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 20, 2012 12:55pm | Report
Toxic shot does ap boosted damage on hit too.
Cho'Gath:

OM NOM NOM!

Nocturne (muffled):

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide