Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

NEED HELP FOR CREATING ITEM SET FOR VOLIBEAR...

Creator: LMNtrixZ June 14, 2016 2:38am
Would you use titanic hydra instead of frozen mallet?
LMNtrixZ
<Member>
LMNtrixZ's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 14, 2016 2:38am | Report
OK so guys i have been playing league for a while and i sought of main Volibear jg, hes so amazing but i dont know a great build for him. im playing: enchantment cinderhulk, frozen, warmog, spirit, boots of swift, dead mans, i am doing alright with this build, i tend to die sometimes but i want your help? could you guys assist me on how i can improve on this build to last longer in team fights or if enemy team trys to gank me?
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 14, 2016 8:05am | Report
Actually, I'd build Volibear as a straight up tank. Frozen Mallet and Titanic Hydra have waaaayy too weird item paths in order to be useful to him unless he's clearly ahead, not to mention they're expensive.

Typical build goes as follows: Enchantment: Cinderhulk, Turbo Chemtank or Dead Man's Plate, Spirit Visage, Randuin's Omen or Banshee's Veil, Thornmail and then boots.
Sir Wellington
<Member>
Sir Wellington's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2016 12:32pm | Report
Not sure I agree with that though. Voli has SO much attack speed (for a tank) from his W that having an AA-based juggernaut/bruiser item is almost always viable, though not always recommended. I would say Titanic Hydra is great if your team needs more damage from your frontline, and Frozen Mallet is good for both peeling juggernauts off your carries and locking down an enemy mage, assassin, or ADC if they get in melee range.

Also, Thornmail is an amazing item, but only against autoattackers. A lot of ADCs now don't necessarily rely on autos for a large portion of their damage ( Lucian, Graves, Miss Fortune, Ezreal, to name a few), so Thornmail is a situational item, not a typical item.

Check out my manly Xin Zhao guide for manly men!
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 23, 2016 8:36am | Report
Frozen Mallet is in a really rough spot right now. There's nothing stopping you from getting Titanic Hydra, but if you have to make a choice between the two, i'd certainly prefer Titanic Hydra. The extra cone damage can add up to quite a sizable amount.

Because your build only itemizes 1 armor item ( Dead Man's Plate), i'd suggest using Randuin's Omen instead of Titanic Hydra/ Frozen Mallet. I think the AS slow & crit reduction will provide an overall increase to your survivability; By the time you get to full build, you aren't looking to deal a lot of damage anyways - your 6 item ADC should be the one primarily doing damage
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks for the sig, MissMaw!
Rammus Da Turtle
<Member>
Rammus Da Turtle's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 8, 2016 8:15pm | Report
i enjoy Frozen Mallet on voli because it can allow me to get w off easily and not have to worry about gap closing in extended fights when e and q arent available.
ok.
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2016 8:10am | Report
Chilling Smite has pretty much the same effect without wasting an item slot.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2016 8:51am | Report
Plus, volibear's problem is getting to people, not sticking to them (you also have E)
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 9, 2016 11:26am | Report
Re4XN wrote:
Chilling Smite has pretty much the same effect without wasting an item slot.

Vynertje wrote:
Plus, volibear's problem is getting to people, not sticking to them (you also have E)
^This.

If you're playing Volibear jungle, there's no reason to get Frozen Mallet, since you can get chilling smite (not that there are many games where you'd need Frozen Mallet top anyways).

Titanic Hydra is a situational item though. I'd rather buy more resistances, since you're already very high on health and would deal some decent damage with Frenzy .

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide