Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Ok let's talk about Ryze...

Creator: SwizzNL February 2, 2012 7:18am
example1013
<Member>
example1013's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 2, 2012 8:55am | Report
Gonna drop some other math here, as well.

20 AP costs 435g. This is the cost of an amp tome. AP quints give 15 AP, which is around 325g worth of AP.

There is no base item for SV, so what I'll do is take the extra recipe cost of hextech and assign that to SV. This is a viable method of measuring SV value, because it's the maximum amount that one pays for spell vamp, based on the fact that any of the 330g (recipe cost) of hextech that doesn't go to the spell vamp portion actually means spell vamp is even cheaper than what I'm going with.

So 15% spell vamp costs 330g. SV quints give 6% SV, which is around 132g worth of SV.

So in other words, SV quints are both much less efficient than AP quints, and much less valuable. I separate the two terms because while SV quints are only worth 132g and AP quints are worth 325g, this just makes the AP quints more cost-effective; it doesn't mean they provide more benefit compared to base item than SV quints.

The fact that SV quints provide around 1/3 the base cost of SV, while AP quints provide around 75%, means AP quints are more efficient, because you're getting almost the full value of an item for the slots, compared to only 1/3 the value of an item for the slots.

What does this ultimately mean? On an AP champ, even one with mediocre ratios like Kennen, AP is going to provide more value. And as I mentioned before, since SV isn't even worthwhile until you start stacking damage items, even though SV quints may produce more benefit late-game, it's not enough to make up for just how much you're giving up early to take them.

And what about Ryze? Well, I have done a few quick-and-dirty calculations for mana quints, and they only come out to 55% the value of the base item. It's a bit more difficult to discuss the net increase in damage gained from them, both because the ratio is completely different (based on the fact that, per-point, mana has a vastly different gold value compared to AP), and because it adds the ability to cast more spells, but I don't think it's too hard to give an educated guess on the subject.

I'd say flat mana quints (which is what I've been talking about, no ****ing way am I gonna do the math for per-level quints, since that involves checking multiple levels' worth of scaling) are still going to be worth more than SV quints on Ryze, because they provide 112 mana, which is both 9 damage on Q and enough extra mana to cast Q one more time than you would be able to otherwise.

But as a final summarization of why you wouldn't want to use SV quints on ryze, I'll say this: if you're not going to rush Hextech, you're not going to use SV quints, because even the entire revolver, despite the fact that the AP is barely used, is still almost as efficient as SV quints.
example1013
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 2, 2012 8:56am | Report
TL;DR don't put spell vamp quints on Ryze.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 2, 2012 9:15am | Report
the problem is that theres not enough spellvamp items to calculate for this but yes examples post is correct.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
example1013
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 2, 2012 9:21am | Report
I realize that without a base spell vamp-only item any SV calculations are going to be shaky at best, but even going further and using the base gold cost of AP to calculate the max cost of the SV on WotA comes out to a price of 360 for 25%, meaning no matter what 6% spellvamp for 3 quints isn't a good deal, compared to the efficiency of other quints. I could probably do some numbers for Gunblade too, but that would be a pain, and if anyone really questions the math at that point they can do it themselves.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 2, 2012 9:24am | Report
wota is 20% sv now actually. but still 2% sv is a bad stat for what you could have in that quint spot.
example1013
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 2, 2012 9:25am | Report
Haha yeah, that actually makes the quints worth even less.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 2, 2012 9:59am | Report
caucheka wrote:

9x greater mark of knowledge
9x greater seal of knowledge
9x greater glyph of knowledge
3x greater quintessence of knowledge

I would use flat mana quints and Mpen reds.

Otherwise that looks good to me :3
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 2, 2012 10:01am | Report
hmm.. if anyone cares.

i get my support to carry me a wota, so i can get in no order

Sorcerer's Shoes
Rod of Ages x 2
Banshee's Veil
Frozen Heart
Archangel's Staff building tear into this last.

with the runes i mentioned and the 200 you can get from masteries, thats possibly 6200 or so mana.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 2, 2012 10:03am | Report
Nooooooooooooooooooooo wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Dat build needs work :P
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 2, 2012 10:20am | Report
wuts wrong with it?

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide