Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Pantheon Mid

Creator: Re4XN September 24, 2015 7:00am
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 24, 2015 7:00am | Report
After deciding to go full ****** for 20 games, I chose to try out Pantheon in the mid lane. I wasn't in the mood of playing him jungle and top lane always had that weird luck where I ended up against Malphite >__>

After playing all these games with this cool champion in the mid lane, I've come to the conclusion he's actually better here than top (not going to mention jungle, because that's not even a lane, it's a completely different thing). One of the reasons is that you now have to walk less to use Grand Skyfall (you can cover 65-75% of the map from mid lane with it) for ganks and the BIG reason is that he absolutely crushes everyone before level 6 (or maybe it's just me who's too good, or the enemies are too bad, lol). You can pretty much all-in people at level 2 (I would even dare to say you can do it at level 1, but since you have no stun, they'd Flash away) and win the lane easiliy afterwards by building Hexdrinker on your first back (which nullifies some if not most of the combos out there). You also have access to the Blue Buff (for the sake of example, let's admit the jungler is actually a decent human being), so you seldom have to worry about mana issues. Here's a list of champions I have faced and the respective outcomes:

Akali (First Blood, level 2)
Annie (tough lane, lost)
Brand (very tough lane, lost hard)
Diana (First Blood, level 2)
Ezreal (First Blood, level 3)
Galio (First Blood, level 3)
Heimerdinger (impossibru, I don't even...)
Jayce (tough lane, killed him at level 5)
Karthus (kinda tough lane, killed him at level 5)
Katarina (First Blood, level 2)
Mordekaiser [old] (First Blood, level 2-3)
Orianna (First Blood, level 2-3)
Twisted Fate (tough lane, 90% of the time we went 1 for 1, not to mention he could follow my roams)
Ziggs (First Blood, level 2)
Fiddlesticks (killed him at level 4, he tried to suck my bones D: )

As you can see, due to Pantheon's powerful early game, he can completely annihilate most of the champions who go mid, feed himself, cause the enemy mid to fall behind and start ganking lanes as soon as he hits level 6 with Grand Skyfall.

Of course that in order for this to work, you actually have to kill something every once in a while, or else you'll be useless. This is when problems first start to appear, Spear Shot makes Pantheon a mana junkie and you might not have enough to kill someone after level 5-6, which makes it imperative to kill them early. If your jungler doesn't give you Blue Buff, you might have a tough time mid game.

What's your opinion on the subject? Is Pantheon better mid or top? What are his pros and cons in each lane?
LevasK
<Member>
LevasK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 24, 2015 8:14am | Report
Well, I believe that you've already answered your own questions. Just looking at your games you can tell that Pantheon is a solid counter pick to most, if not all, melee/very short ranged mid laners. You've also noted his weaknesses, mostly his mana hunger and the need to snowball, I'd like to add that he's also a very easy champion to gank, or to gank for and as you no doubt have noticed yourself, he kinda sucks vs champions who out-range you. Now, onto my opinions:

I think that Pantheon mid lane is a solid pick, if you are looking to counter a melee/short ranged mid laner, however it does lack wave clear and forces your team to have an AP top laner/jungler, or risk armor stacking becoming all too effective. Moreover, Pantheon needs to snowball, otherwise he becomes a rather lackluster stun bot, sadly, i can't say for a fact in which lane he's better, since no one plays him nowdays, however I believe his best role is jungle.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Sir Wellington
<Member>
Sir Wellington's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 1, 2015 10:50pm | Report
Do you older league vets remember the glory days of Season 3, with Pantheon and Kha'zix mid? Those were the good days...

Check out my manly Xin Zhao guide for manly men!
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 2, 2015 12:33am | Report
It's a noob-stomping counterpick and sucks late game, I used it back in s3 and iirc it got me from gold to plat in about 10 games

Works wonders in low elo yolo queue since you can dumpster mid then camp bot with your ult and dumpster that lane too, then you walk around with full build at 30 minutes and 2 shot everyone

I don't think it really works well right now because they can just start Flask or cloth 5 and then you run out of mana before they run out of health, and smart players will just back and not feed you then outscale you while you become worthless in fights.
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 2, 2015 1:42am | Report
As with most things, he's k up to like gold III. After that I've found people don't die as recklessly (or it might just be me lel) but people still do make silly mistakes and suck at dealing with roamers sooooooo

Keep at it until you start losing more than you win? :D

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide