Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Phantom Dancer (PD) vs. Infinity Edge (IE)

Creator: timesource1 February 7, 2012 4:23pm
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 7, 2012 6:03pm | Report

Greaves + PD = 160.79 damage and Greaves + IE = 271.12 I got one question, does that mean the IE is GUARANTEED to have approximately 271.12 damage per hit??

No, I'm not calculating single hit damage, I'm actually calculating average DPS. This means that you will do, on average, about 271 damage every second you're autoattacking. You won't ever do exactly 271 damage, however, because you only get about one shot in each second and that one shot is either going to do 154 damage or 154 * 2.5 = 385 damage, with roughly one out of every four doing the higher amount.

Greaves + PD = apprx 4.5 shots in 2 seconds (based on experience) = 778.12
Greaves + IE = apprx 2.5 shots in 2 seconds (uh 0.5 is like half of my shot goes to the 3rd second) = approximately 677.00

am i wrong???

Yes, you're wrong. Massively. I already included Cait's attack speed in my calculations. Besides this, PD only gives 55% of her base AS (.55 * .668 = .3674 attacks per second), so it hardly gives you a whole extra attack per second.

Darcurse wrote:

For another, you cant compare those two like you guys did. One costs a hefty chunk of 1k g more while the other adds non-comparable MS to the mix.

I could correct for this by adding an extra 1k gold of AD of any stat to Cait and the calculation wouldn't change. Greaves + PD + 2 dorans would still do a lot less damage than Greaves + IE. IE hits harder than PD in every scenario, period. PD is still a good item, and sometimes preferable to IE, but never does more damage, and all I was modeling was DPS.

Also, this is the theorycrafting forum. You'll see math.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Darcurse
<Member>
Darcurse's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 7, 2012 6:31pm | Report
Just wanted to say, that theres no math needed to notice the difference.
And also math wouldnt be 100% accurate.

Even so:
Taking a lvl 18 Cait with ~1.00 AS and 101 AD, not including masteries/runes.
While comparing Greaves+PD+Pickaxe and Greaves+IE just for one sec and calculating crit as average bonus dmg (you dont need more), you'll get
PD: ~294.8
IE: ~311.1

(not including PD's MS and the fact that IE also strengthens your skills)
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 7, 2012 6:34pm | Report

IE provides Critical Damage but not Critical Chance. This means, her critical chance remains constant until she buys another item to increase her crit chance.

Actually IE does give Crit Chance. :P
Svingas
<Member>
Svingas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 5:37am | Report
Lol yeah, I was kinda confused from the start of this. IE gives damage, crit chance, and crit damage. If you are going for early dps on a non-vayne champ than IE is the way to go. Plus it helps Cait's Piltover.

Check out my extensive Sivir Guide

JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 6:19am | Report
I just snag ie asap....its more intimidating and allows for more spike damage. Zeal can easily be aquired...ie cannot....idk I just like ie first I suppose.
AncientNecro
<Member>
AncientNecro's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 6:33am | Report
Hey man you definitely got something going here.

I prefer to hit the BF sword, then go Zeal for the attack speed/crit chance, then finish my IE, followed by finishing dancer.

Not saying your way is incorrect, that's just how I do it. I'd love to see the numbers!

timesource1
<Member>
timesource1's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 6:45am | Report
Freaking heck now it makes sense. Well i don't know how you got the formula.. but it doesn't matter. Yes i know there is no way to completey know the true damage (because there's runes, masteries, items etc to add as well) I just wanted to know if the overall damage in say 3 seconds would be better with IE or PD.

The problem i had was... .i had the concept in my brain but no maths to prove it. I couldn't find the formula on how to compute it... so everything was just a theory.

Well looks like the overall damage in a second would be faster with IE. Thanks for clearing that up! Time to change my build :) Thanks lifebaka :D
timesource1
<Member>
timesource1's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 6:48am | Report
Btw does anyone know where the makers of LOL keep like a database on the maths? I'd really love to compute the items instead of just randomly guessing which item is the best.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 7:56am | Report
You can find most of the stats in the game from the wiki and then work most stuff out with a calculator if you have the time/patience.
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 8, 2012 9:01am | Report
Stack IE/TF/Ghost Blades

too strong

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide