Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Runes,early or late game?

Creator: ProtoShot October 15, 2011 9:50pm
1 2
ProtoShot
<Member>
ProtoShot's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2011 9:50pm | Report
I'm just about to hit summoner level 20 and I'm planning out my first teir 3 rune build. Before I even decide about which runes, should I build based upon early game or late game? I can see how early game effectivness can give an advantage but will late game rune setups bring a challange to team fights? Positive and negative criticism is welcome.
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2011 9:54pm | Report
for your first rune build i would suggest

pen reds (get a set of both armor and magic pens)
flat armor yellows
flat mr blues
flat health quints.

this set up gives you viable runes for any champion you own. obviously if you play more magic champs buy the magic pen reds first and vice versa if you play physical ones.

much better than say, buying a set for a specific champion only to not end up playing said champion.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Beeswarm17
<Member>
Beeswarm17's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2011 9:59pm | Report
^ This. I still keep a page of those runes on hand in case I'm trying/stuck with a champ I'm not used to playing.
ProtoShot
<Member>
ProtoShot's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2011 10:41pm | Report
caucheka wrote:

for your first rune build i would suggest

flat armor yellows
flat mr blues
flat health quints.

this set up gives you viable runes for any champion you own. obviously if you play more magic champs buy the magic pen reds first and vice versa if you play physical ones.

much better than say, buying a set for a specific champion only to not end up playing said champion.

Thanks, i've seen those types or builds and I'm going to start with that, but seeing that theres just flat runes, is it better to set up runes for early game or is it dependant on every champion for early or late game builds?
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2011 11:10pm | Report
usually flats are better. the early game stats on scaling are insignificant and usually only become better by level 12 or so.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2011 11:15pm | Report
I always use flat, because it gives me an early game advantage, and most champions i play can win their lane from an early game advantage.
Tri lane for life.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 16, 2011 2:26am | Report
In some cases, like HP seals and AP glyphs the scaling runes are better because they pass each other as early as ~lvl5.
"We've had a few gloomy years with bad console ports, and what do we get in the light at the end of the console-tunnel? A tablet OS ported to PC." - Atlas Tasume, on Windows 8
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 16, 2011 4:57am | Report
caucheka wrote:

flat armor yellows
flat mr blues
flat health quints.

This is exactly what I used and still use as my first two pages for AD and AP today. Saving up to replace it atm.

It's good for just about any champion in the game and I suggest using it until you feel ready to buy more runepages and specialize for each role.
Acid Reigns
<Member>
Acid Reigns's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 16, 2011 5:10am | Report
Listen to searz, he knows things :P

But yeah, sometimes scaling ones are better. If you are playing an ad carry, then you donèt really have to worry about getting hit with spell damage til later in the game, therefore MR/lvl glyphs are more useful, as by the time you need them they are better

However, if you were, say, a caster in mid, then flat would likely be better.

And then there are the obvious ones that searz mentioned.
If you want to know whether flat or per/lvl are better, just open your calculator, and do some math. If one rune surpasses another at level 6, and you think you can hold out with decreased stats until then, then maybe you should get those ones instead.

These are things you should consider when you are buying new runes.

I do a lot of carrying, so my first set was:
ArP Marks
Armor Seals
Mp5 Glyphs (A mistake, they are secondaries) :(
And ArP Quints as well

You shouldnt base your rune set around one champ, unless you've been maining them for a while.
But basing them around one type of champ, say mage, tank, support, etc. Then that is fine

Also if you want to jungle you should probably have armor runes at least for that.
ProtoShot
<Member>
ProtoShot's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 16, 2011 6:54am | Report
Thanks acid, I mainly play AP carry so I figured that MrP marks and Flat AP quints were a start same for ArP Marks and ArP Quints
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide