Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Skarner sheds a tear?

Creator: bagel August 14, 2014 4:55am
1 2
bagel
<Member>
bagel's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 14, 2014 4:55am | Report
Haha ok skarner you might think, but he's a bit of an enigma in the way you might see him. Simple, Yes but also carries such hard utility. This is in regards to TOP LANE skarner and this wonderful item i have tried on him.

Tear of the goddess, it's an amazing thing, but i'll stop with the hype up and get right down to it. Building tear straight up leaves you with almost no damage but you are expected to see burst within the 14th - 20th minute of the game, ALWAYS that early, it procs so fast with the expense of almost no mana, in fact no mana.

The laning phase you face is extremely slow and you aren't expected to kill, you're expected to survive and cs ahha. But my thoughts are what are you thoughts on this item being built on skarner ( obviously built into a muramana ). I think it offers such unexpected burst ( with the follow up of a sheen into an iceborn ) and allows you to be a cc'ing train... literally ( no we're not taking nautilus' title away )

TLDR: Tear of the goddess, easy to proc, once built it offers such hard unexpected damage by itself ( after built into a muramana ) and just imagine with an iceborn. What are your thoughts?
TheKut
<Member>
TheKut's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 14, 2014 11:16am | Report
I think that if I ever faced a Skarner building Tear of the Goddess I would punish the hell out of him. I think the idea of a Muramana on him is good, but he's a not a safe enough laner to afford it to the expense of pure combat stats. Yorick and Jayce are top laners who builds tear fairly often and that's because they don't necessarily need combat stats early on since they can stack from a distance whereas Skarner cannot.

I'm not a familiair player of the crystaline scorpion, but I would imagine a rush of Iceborn Gauntlet if you play him top. It gives you pretty much everything you need quickly.
bagel
<Member>
bagel's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 14, 2014 10:51pm | Report
I understand the punishment which someone may or may not face, depending if you know how to play him obviously, but it isn't just about building that tear, it's a cheap alternative ( starting with sapphire if you wish ) and even without it, you can still obviously work you way into a sheen.

It's as much as rengar or lee sin top building 3 dorans blades. Having said that it's understandable whether or not someone who can play skarner can defend them self until mid-late game.

The tear is just an option for him to be the monster that he is late game, as much as jax needs a BOTKR or Trinity force. It lessens the amount of items which he would need to have damage, or be a bruiser ( preferably )
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 14, 2014 11:22pm | Report
To be fair, getting tear on Skarner is much less useful than getting triple doran's on Rengar/Lee since it gives him no real combat stats. The mana is nice for if you're poking with Fracture, but not much else.And while it builds into Manamune, that's not for an extra 1500 gold. It also doesn't give you any tanky stats, and unlike TheKut, I don't think the active on Muramana isn't exactly useful on Skarner. Only his ult benefits from the proc.
NorthernRedStar
<Member>
NorthernRedStar's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 15, 2014 12:45am | Report
But Lane Skarner isn't even that mana hungry, unless you keep spamming Crystal Slash 24/7. Skarner does have kill potential in lane, mostly post-6 but even before that.

I'd rather build that early Glacial Shroud / Sheen. You're going to have trouble facing kite in mid-game chases and teamfights with the lost tankiness if you go Muramana.
Guides: Vel'koz | Zyra
Signature by Natuhlee

NorthernRedStar
<Member>
NorthernRedStar's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 15, 2014 12:52am | Report
Lugignaf wrote:
To be fair, getting tear on Skarner is much less useful than getting triple doran's on Rengar/Lee since it gives him no real combat stats. The mana is nice for if you're poking with Fracture, but not much else.And while it builds into Manamune, that's not for an extra 1500 gold. It also doesn't give you any tanky stats, and unlike TheKut, I don't think the active on Muramana isn't exactly useful on Skarner. Only his ult benefits from the proc.

"Poking with Fracture"

:D
  • Did I enlighten your eyes? Feel free to hit +Rep
Signature by Emikadon

bagel
<Member>
bagel's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 15, 2014 10:38pm | Report
Haha its not about about the mana regen, or losing an iceborn ( you build that after ) it's the speed in which you can proc the tear over and over. I think with an iceborn and muramana he has all the damage in the world that he needs. It procs everyone time you AA, it doesnt need to be a caster spell and is a great dueling item which i think you can fight almost anyone, considering you have at least iceborn and muramana.

All in all if you're willing to sacrifice a few more minutes of a safer laning phase it will greatly benefit you towards the early mid - late
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 15, 2014 10:46pm | Report
it doesnt benefit you that much since the toggle only works with your ult
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
bagel
<Member>
bagel's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 16, 2014 2:11am | Report
Yeah it toggles with AA's im pretty sure, i've tried this build not too many times but enough to understand how strong you can be, as a tank and damage dealer or a bruiser. All you need is a muramana and iceborn then you build a frozen heart.

I only urge you to try it's just quite fun with your ms and utility. Give it a go and i think it may be a viable item hahahaha i don't know maybe in just norms
NicknameMy
<Editor>
NicknameMy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 16, 2014 4:28am | Report
DillButt64 wrote:
it doesnt benefit you that much since the toggle only works with your ult

What about basic attacks Skarner does between his slashes to proc Iceborn Gauntlet?

Also, get Spirit Visage before Frozen Heart, because otherwise, you will die because of not enough HP.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide