Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

The Current Metagame & Theory Crafting

Creator: SixSonatas November 20, 2010 1:34am
Visfarix
<Member>
Visfarix's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2010 2:12pm | Report
PFP wrote:

Why does this work? Because everyone is so focused on AOE teambattles they don't realize it just takes one super carry to wreck an entire team. If you have a team built around the super carry to make that champion invincible you'll Ace the other team everytime and your super carry can wreck the turrets by himself when they're all dead. Of course the composition can be changed around a little, maybe with Master Yi or Xin Zhao, but you get the point. You'll end the game so fast no one will be able to counter and build tanky enough to stop your team.

This style counters the Tanky DPS metagame and should not be overlooked.

The problem I see with this is it requires the super carry have a good early game, and even then, it takes time to build. Because of this you would be on the defensive the majority of the game and this could end up being quite fatal if you end up losing more turrets/inhibitors than you can recover from.

I can see the "Super carry" style countering the "Tanky DPS" if the game were to go for a long time and everyone had all their items, but I find the "Tanky DPS" metagame usually doesn't allow for anyone to build up into a "super carry".

I just want to keep smiling FOREVER
Restrictnine#5232
<Veteran>
Restrictnine#5232's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2010 2:30pm | Report
Actually, the teamfight metagame isnt really that big anymore, BECAUSE of the tanky metagame change. And because of what happened in WCG when they avoided teamfights altogether. the super carry thing is indeed an issue, but if they have the sense to create an invulnerable super carry, they will have to stick together, meaning pressuring multiple lanes might be a good counter. One turret is better than one death.

The tanky metagame is easily countered, however. It is called Madred's Bloodrazor. The single best item in this metagame, in my opinion. This is because it almost always goes on AD champs that focus on auto attacking, meaning they have consistent magic AND physical damage. It makes the tanky metagame much harder to keep up. If any item changes the metagame, it is Madred's Bloodrazor.

For now, though, People need to play the metagame if they want to win. Taric is a great metagame champ. Udyr is great. Olaf and Xin Zhao are amazing. Irelia has potential. All the tanks, of course, are awesome. But squishies like Leblanc, TF, Sivir, Corki, etc. all have problems because they lose a LOT of effectiveness if they build tanky.
Click on the Banner to see my new and improved Udyr guide!

Guides By RestrictNine, A.K.A. Taggrin
SixSonatas
<Veteran>
SixSonatas's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2010 5:22pm | Report
The tanky DPS metagame is NOT easily countered. Madred's Bloodrazors only work so well and only on certain characters that have good CC, AS, AND Survivability (if they lack any of those attributes, they are ineffective and/or easily targeted and killed), which succumbs to the TANKY DPS METAGAME. So basically you're saying the only way to beat tanky DPS is to go tanky DPS, which supports the metagame being that of tanky DPS.

It's true, however, the team with the tankier team wins in almost all cases. Madred's Bloodrazors help defeat some of the bulkiness, but one must not forget about building bulk even when building Bloodrazors.

Squishies can have a say in the tanky DPS metagame, especially those with good CC or quick repositioning mechanisms. There are quite a few good hybrid items that offer HP/Armor/MR along with AD/AP; especially with the new addition Hexdrinker, AD/Tank hybrids have just breathed a sigh of relief as the item addition helps them adapt to the tanky DPS metagame.
Super old vet that almost never goes on Mobafire anymore. Contact me in game @ SixSonatas and Mobafire chat (NA).
Restrictnine#5232
<Veteran>
Restrictnine#5232's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2010 6:03pm | Report
well... it may not be counterable by melee, but ranged can easily counter with madreds. for example kogmaw, tristana, teemo.
Click on the Banner to see my new and improved Udyr guide!

Guides By RestrictNine, A.K.A. Taggrin
SixSonatas
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2010 6:17pm | Report
I agree with your examples of Kog'maw and Tristana, but Teemo has no survivability.

Kog'maw and Tristana share a common aspect, long range. With this long range, they can snipe safely from a distance and reposition themselves safely. In fact, Tristana even has a Rocket Jump to save her from Flash users.

Teemo is lackluster. His range is so low that a Taric can Dazzle with the full 2 second stun if Teemo wants to try to get in range. Sure, he has Move Quickly, but that would really only compliment longer attack range, something he lacks and therefore disrupts his ability to use Madred's Bloodrazors effectively.
Super old vet that almost never goes on Mobafire anymore. Contact me in game @ SixSonatas and Mobafire chat (NA).
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2010 9:06pm | Report
speaking of snipers i heard a while ago that a sniper champion was in the lineup sometime after leblanc and irelia.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Visfarix
<Member>
Visfarix's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2010 9:45pm | Report
caucheka wrote:

speaking of snipers i heard a while ago that a sniper champion was in the lineup sometime after leblanc and irelia.

Yea i heard this too. supposedly the sniper will be a female human with mostly skillshot based skills like ezreal. should be interesting to see what happens.

I just want to keep smiling FOREVER
PFP
<Member>
PFP's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 21, 2010 11:28pm | Report
Ahh, everyone is forgetting my favorite champion Warwick. He is the metagame :P With all the different ways to build him he is in my eyes the strongest champion for solo queue and premades atm. Other than that he can play tanky DPS while killing enemy champions that are playing tanky while taking on their whole team and surviving. There's a reason he's on the top of most tier lists.

Off-topic but I've been playing AP Ezreal and he is kicking ***. Dishing out around 3.5k damage every 5 seconds or so (to account for cooldowns), amazing quadra-kill the other day he's fun and he works. But I also feel playing AD Ez with a Bloodrazor is quite effective because you can ping off their health from afar and they can't even get close to you.
Jesuslol
<Member>
Jesuslol's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2010 12:56am | Report
Very interesting discussion, I aint no LoL pro or anything but i have countless of times seen mobility as the game changing factor. But then again i dont have high rated experience, just trying to come with some input
SixSonatas
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 22, 2010 1:40am | Report
Tanky Warwick is a great part of the metagame with Madred's Bloodrazors due to his AS ( Hunters Call and techinically Infinite Duress) and LS ( Eternal Thirst and Hungering Strike ) that make him very durable and damage dealing, along with a MS increase skill ( Blood Scent) that allows him to chase or run suits the current metagame very nicely. So yes, PFP, you're right to say that Warwick is great, but he's tending to the metagame, the metagame is not tending to him :P

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide