Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Udyr FAQ [for those Udyr fans that need some...

Creator: Restrictnine#5232 January 11, 2011 9:19pm
Restrictnine#5232
<Veteran>
Restrictnine#5232's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 11, 2011 9:19pm | Report
Ahhh the ever elusive Udyr. I know that very few dedicated Udyr threads are out there, so I shall make one. Ask me a question, and I will craft with you to come up with an answer. Once you do, I will post it on this thread and probably add it to my guide for permanent use.

Another great Udyr crafter is Chaotic Bliss. Ask either one of us about Udyr and we will post on this thread.
Click on the Banner to see my new and improved Udyr guide!

Guides By RestrictNine, A.K.A. Taggrin
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 11, 2011 9:24pm | Report
Something that has been bugging me - is jungle Udyr still as viable with the nerf to Phoenix and the change to Tiger? Is it also viable to jungle with Tiger now?
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 11, 2011 9:53pm | Report

Something that has been bugging me - is jungle Udyr still as viable with the nerf to Phoenix and the change to Tiger? Is it also viable to jungle with Tiger now?

It's actually very viable to jungle with tiger, the burst makes it so much faster! But then comes the problem: you starve yourself cause you don't stay on Turtle Stance long enough.

As for my question: Do you think this build is solid enough, provided the player is good enough behind it? I've been using it for a while and I really hate Triforce (just sayin).

That's just the core, the rest of the items are situational. This isn't in any specific order.

Restrictnine#5232
<Veteran>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 12, 2011 12:03am | Report

Jungle udyr is HUGELY viable with the "nerf" to phoenix. Although i must say you are mistaken. It is quite the opposite. This was one of the biggest buffs ive ever seen in LoL. It even rivals the buffs of Sivir and Corki. Thats how good Phoenix and Tiger are now. phoenix does slightly less damage for on hit procs, but procs every three hits instead of 4. This makes Udyr's damage go THROUGH THE ROOF. Phoenix jungling is by far the best way to go. I like to get 2 into turtle fast because i like the lifesteal and the mana regen from it, but after that i leave it at two and max phoenix because turtle just doesnt compare in the jungle. As for Tiger jungling, It is great, but you kindof need phoenix / tiger combo for it to be effective. With just tiger, Udyr doesnt reach his full potential in the jungle. But between the tiger burst, tiger AS, phoenix burst, and phoenix aoe, Jungle Udyr has never been better. Throw a Wriggle's Lantern in there and bam. You dont even need turtle to jungle anymore.

B-Wong wrote:
It's actually very viable to jungle with tiger, the burst makes it so much faster! But then comes the problem: you starve yourself cause you don't stay on Turtle Stance long enough.

As for my question: Do you think this build is solid enough, provided the player is good enough behind it? I've been using it for a while and I really hate Triforce (just sayin).

That's just the core, the rest of the items are situational. This isn't in any specific order.

hmm. It is entirely viable. The thing is, though, you are super squish. even with the HP on Frozen Mallet, you have little defense to keep you alive. What you want to do is grab a quick Wriggle's Lantern, which gives you lifesteal so you dont NEED Iron Mantle, and it makes getting buffs a breeze. It is a little too offensive for my taste, but I actually used to use that build minus Phantom Dancer. I used to do boots of speed, madreds razors, merc treads, madreds bloodrazor, frozen mallet, etc. This is a fantastic build assuming you know your ****. I have seen one of my friends first hand rape face repeatedly with this build, every time, no exception. It takes some serious skill though. I prefer a tanky item build with a DPS skill build. It balances really nicely without loosing the survivability that Udyr is so notorious for:
W - R - W - E [for early survivability in the jungle plus the stun for ganks at lv 4]
after that max Phoenix first, get tiger to three second, followed by either max turtle or max bear, your preference.

Now, I use this skill build because phoenix has CRAZY on-hit proc damage, something like 240 at lv 5 for every three hits. That is INSANE damage at lv 9, and you can 1v1 literally anyone in the game. I promise. I get tiger to three second but leave it there, because tiger combos really nicely with phoenix, especially if you have red buff. I don't max it, however, because most of the damage comes from the AD scaling anyways, and i find bear and turtle to be more useful in team fights. But early tiger is really nice for the laning phase ganks.

For my Item Build i like to go:

Wriggle's Lantern, Mercury's Treads, Heart of Gold, catalyst the protector, followed by either Randuin's Omen, Banshee's Veil, or if you prefer the offensive and dont like triforce, you can rush a Madred's Bloodrazor after that. you can even build madreds before finishing randuins or banshees. I just find both of those items far more valuable than offensive items early, because my skill build provides me plenty of offensive damage.

B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 12, 2011 7:26am | Report
Hmm, I always max turtle after Phoenix so I hope that won't be too much of a problem, also, my jungle ganks usually get a kill or 2, so far the build hasn't done bad cause turtle +AS = lol in enemy base forever. Also, I find turtle to give me enough bulk early on but I haven't taken wriggles lantern into consideration, just because I really enjoy the as on madred's for more turtle healing. Although I think I will eventually give building tanky early a shot.

Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 12, 2011 7:27am | Report
You did have some really good ganks with Udyr in that game we played, Wong. :P
Restrictnine#5232
<Veteran>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 12, 2011 9:09am | Report
Well the way i see it there are two main ways to play Udyr. One is the one i described, and the other one is max phoenix turtle first and rush a madreds, and pray to the summoners above that you dont get shat on before you get madreds. Madreds is definitely more rewarding if you can pull it off, but tank is significantly safer and more reliable.

Try maxing phoenix first, because turtle doesnt do much other than tank in fights. If you want to be dangerous before you actually HAVE bloodrazor, max phoenix first and use that as your main stance.

Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 12, 2011 12:12pm | Report
How would one go about building an Udyr with more DPS in the build than you traditionally suggest? From what I can tell, the only DPS item you grab is madred's. If I were to go even more DPS-y on Udyr, how would that work? Not to say that I'd like to go pure DPS, but what tanky items would I grab and what DPS items would I grab?

Also, what's your thoughts about Hexdrinker on Udyr? 2nd shield is good, or is it basically useless?
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Restrictnine#5232
<Veteran>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 12, 2011 1:08pm | Report
Well hexdrinker is pretty situational, but makes for a great early/mid game item.

madreds is great, trinity force is great, frozen mallet is awesome. even the BF items are realy good on dps udyr. Also consider phantom dancer. It synergizes amazingly wiht udyr. The only problem is you cant crit in turtle stance.

dont forget last whisper too. that item is almost required. youmuu's is good as well. TBH udyr can be built a lot like xin zhao because their playstyles are very similar, with skill exceptions.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide