Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

WHY DO PEOPLE BUILD SONA LIKE AN AP NUKE?

Creator: Adonikam May 31, 2011 6:26pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2011 10:16am | Report
SixSonatas wrote:

Did you just say that her heal has a bad AP ratio and therefore you WANT to build AP?
The only AP item I would get on her is RoA and that's just mainly for the mana and survivability.

No, I meant her other stuff has good AP ratios so you should be building some AP...her heals being better because of it is just a bonus
Booshido
<Member>
Booshido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2011 10:18am | Report

That is common sense...35% of no AP is, well, 0 while 35% of 400 AP is 140...

yea 400ap, so like Rabadon's Deathcap and Zhonya's Hourglass and Rod of Ages is like 420 ap, now you need to make 30% cdr while having defence items.
full ap is not worth it, 1 or 2 items if you doing amazing, other then that, early mid game support > late game ap/defence
KinkyPinkCuffs
<Member>
KinkyPinkCuffs's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2011 10:19am | Report
Booshido wrote:

yea 400ap, so like Rabadon's Deathcap and Zhonya's Hourglass and Rod of Ages is like 420 ap, now you need to make 30% cdr while having defence items. full ap is not worth it, 1 or 2 items if you doing amazing, other then that, early mid game support > late game ap/defence

400 was a random number...
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2011 10:22am | Report

400 was a random number...

How much AP you get is your own choice...if I wanna get 500 AP so I can nuke people down with my ult that's still perfectly viable...
SixSonatas
<Veteran>
SixSonatas's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2011 10:31am | Report
Booshido wrote:

yea 400ap, so like Rabadon's Deathcap and Zhonya's Hourglass and Rod of Ages is like 420 ap, now you need to make 30% cdr while having defence items.
full ap is not worth it, 1 or 2 items if you doing amazing, other then that, early mid game support > late game ap/defence

Lol Boosh, so agree. Deathcap Hourglass RoA is way too expensive for Sona to afford.
I mean, unless your team's ONLY AP carry is Sona, AP on her is almost worthless.

She gets what, a "nuke" that hits 2 closest targets (aka tanks, because you'll be in the back, and therefore your Q does like 0 damage anyway?), a speed boost that isn't affected by AP, a heal that is horribly affected by AP, and a line nuke with 0.8 scaling that won't hit more than 2, 3 people in a coordinated team?

So what, have a Soraka Sona lane bottom so Sona can take all the last hits while Soraka is the actual support? Why not have Soraka support Alistar or something? Really, you play Sona as an AP carry and you'll fail, and if you build that much AP on her as a support, you'll fail almost just as bad.
Super old vet that almost never goes on Mobafire anymore. Contact me in game @ SixSonatas and Mobafire chat (NA).
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2011 10:43am | Report
AP Nuke Sona actually requires effort...as I stated earlier...Sona is good at supporting, but AP Sona is just as good at other things and requires actual skill to play...everything you do falls short with a support build, you can't heal any significant amount, you certainly can't deal damage...Sona is more like Nidalee than Soraka in the end: They both have a heal that is sort of meh, and a utility ability that is useful, but everything else they have is based entirely on how much AP they build...why not play into that?
SixSonatas
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2011 10:50am | Report

AP Nuke Sona actually requires effort...as I stated earlier...Sona is good at supporting, but AP Sona is just as good at other things and requires actual skill to play...everything you do falls short with a support build, you can't heal any significant amount, you certainly can't deal damage...Sona is more like Nidalee than Soraka in the end: They both have a heal that is sort of meh, and a utility ability that is useful, but everything else they have is based entirely on how much AP they build...why not play into that?

I don't think you understand the difference between a 1.25 scaling heal and a .35 scaling heal.
I also don't think you understand that Nidalee has mobility while Sona doesn't. Oh, and by the way, AP Nuke Sona, as I explained, can't pick targets, and her Q will be useless, because it will hit tanks, because if you position yourself to Q enemy carries, you are in a bad position. Your E doesn't scale at all, and your W scales horribly. Requires skill to play? Doesn't matter how much skill you have, you're going to be a fail AP carry.

I will end the argument there.
Super old vet that almost never goes on Mobafire anymore. Contact me in game @ SixSonatas and Mobafire chat (NA).
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2011 11:05am | Report
Nidalee was a bad example I admit, but she doesn't resemble Soraka or really any other support champion in ANY WAY other than having a healing ability either (other than maybe Karma).
What you're saying right now proves my point. Sona cannot pick her targets, Lichbane gives her the mobility to move into a better position, requiring you to actually think about placement. Her ult is difficult to pull off also, again requiring actual skill to place effectively. But once you get good at positioning and placing you can do so much more than support Sona...
KinkyPinkCuffs
<Member>
KinkyPinkCuffs's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2011 11:09am | Report
SixSonatas wrote:

Lol Boosh, so agree. Deathcap Hourglass RoA is way too expensive for Sona to afford.
I mean, unless your team's ONLY AP carry is Sona, AP on her is almost worthless.

She gets what, a "nuke" that hits 2 closest targets (aka tanks, because you'll be in the back, and therefore your Q does like 0 damage anyway?), a speed boost that isn't affected by AP, a heal that is horribly affected by AP, and a line nuke with 0.8 scaling that won't hit more than 2, 3 people in a coordinated team?

So what, have a Soraka Sona lane bottom so Sona can take all the last hits while Soraka is the actual support? Why not have Soraka support Alistar or something? Really, you play Sona as an AP carry and you'll fail, and if you build that much AP on her as a support, you'll fail almost just as bad.

I love how you people will shutdown ideas that lots of people have made work very well just because they're not your own...
Support Sona can't heal ****, can't deal any damage, can't really do anything but stand around...and even then as said before she can't heal **** so as soon as everyone gets low health your team will have to leave because the support can't really support their push...woo for uselessness
SixSonatas
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2011 11:11am | Report
Your "actual skill" assumes that no one else has "actual skill". Because if they let a Sona position herself in that kind of advantageous position and NOT do anything about it, there's something wrong.

Sona is simply too squishy and not enough burst to be played as an AP carry; not saying it doesn't work, since I've played her that way before too, but it's just not optimal.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide