Janna Build Guide by Chewyturtle
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Heya! This will be my first guide, so please don't be afraid to comment/vote as I would love comments and feedback on this :) I find Janna to be an amazing support, I really do. In fact, she's one of my two favorites ( Sona being the other one). However, going "AP Carry Janna" is pretty good as well!
She still has amazing disrupts, abilities that deal massive harass damage, a shield that isn't used just for the free BF sword effect, and a nice heal from her ultimate, Monsoon.
The reason why she has the capability to be AP Janna is because of the scaling on her abilities, which are pretty damn high. By the time you max out your Howling Gale, you will be raping the minion line and when you max out Zephyr, you'll smack AD carries such as Ashe or Vayne like a boss!
Note that this guide is not completely serious and you should not be doing this in ranked games as you are still pretty squishy and are very cooldown dependent.
Pros / Cons
Like every champion, Janna has her strengths and weaknesses that are crucial to know and get used to while playing her like this.
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: Helpful for doing damage against the enemies, great for late game damage output
- Greater Mark of Ability Power: Great for early game harass and helping to dominate the minion wave, but not too great.
- Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration: Extremely helpful for your mana needs! Janna uses lots of mana, and these seals will help very much.
- Greater Seal of Replenishment: Same as Clarity runes but better pre-level 6. Not better than Clarity runes in my opinion but if you have them go for it.
- Greater Seal of Ability Power: Good for early game minion raping and harass.
- Greater Seal of Armor: Not much of a reason to have this besides survivability against AD Carries
- Greater Glyph of Ability Power: So much deeps! So handy early game
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Cooldown Reduction: Since Janna is great Mid-Late game in terms of dealing damage to champions, scaling cooldown runes help :)
- Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction: Not as good as Celerity runes, but still viable.
- Greater Quintessence of Magic Penetration: Sexy Magic pen is sexy, need I say more?
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power: Nice for early game like all the other Potency runes
Howling Gale: Howling Gale is the spell you will be using for the majority of the game. Known for its superb knockup, it can be used to quickly disable enemy champions such as Fiddlesticks and Katarina when they use their respective channeling moves. Howling Gale is also a nice way initiate a gank during laning phase, following Howling Gale with Zephyr to slow them down immensely, resulting in a kill or a Flash
Most people underestimate the raw damage Howling Gale can do to enemy champions if you are playing AP. As support, this does barely any damage, but when you are AP Howling Gale deals a great amount of damage, especially when charged. You want to max this first as this is the only spell you should be using against enemy minion waves. Howling Gale is needed to smach through minions and push your lane when they get too aggresive.
- Remember that the damage and the range increases depending on how long Howling Gale is charged! Keep this in mind and experiment with the range.
- Always charge up Howling Gale for max damage against minion waves; do not let it off early if you're not attempting a kill
- Do not harass with Howling Gale, use this to instead push your lane and destroy the minion wave
- Only use one tornado per minion wave, as it is mana draining early on
- While being chased, quickly throw a non-charged Howling Gale behind you (assuming you know the distance) to knock them up.
Zephyr: Zephyr has an amazing passive early on! It gives you free movement speed, making it so you do not need to get Boots of Speed at first. The unit-free collision needs no explaination, as it is just amazing.
Zephyr will become your primary nuking and chasing ability mid-late game, as it slows the enemy champion down and allows for your team to catch up to the poor fellow and finish him/her off! Zephyr is weak early game and is advised not to be used for the damage and instead for the slow at this point.
- In teamfights, poke the enemy carry with Zephyr
- Slow down the enemy with Zephyr, using it offensively or defensively
- Floating is OP, therefore Zephyr is cool.