Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

MOBAVERSE Gallery

Creator: JEFFY40HANDS January 7, 2012 11:50am
4126 posts - page 208 of 413
Nyoike
<Member>
Nyoike's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2012 9:28pm | Report

@Nyoike

Unsure if you followed my tutorials, looks similar ^_^.

I'll first off all like to start of by saying that on a level that i can see eye to eye with you. It is a great sig. The smudging is nicely executed apart from a few areas. And as a first smudge sig i can definitely say that...Well... what can i say? Amazing.

For the 4 versions, number 2 or 4 is probably the best in terms of the text being just better. By better I mean, its not vibrant like (1) and doesn't steal focus, and also it doesn't look odd and out of place like (3). However the text in both despite being well blended within the background, it still takes a slight bit of focus. Now I wish I could give you some secrets on how to do text but to be honest.... I'm not sure on how to do text myself :D

Cyan: Within this area is to me problematic. Now it sort of looks odd that your bright smudging on the right sort of stops as it hits the render and then turns white. It sort of ruins the flow of the sig in terms of color coordination. I'd suggest in order to fix this, and to keep note in future sigs. Try to avoid this sort of error in judgement. To fix it try to be realistic when smudging, make sure it doesn't just "cut off". For this area ill just use the same color scheme as the orange~red (fire color scheme).

Green areas: these green areas are your focal points. doesn't matter where your render is, or text. No matter what, these are the focal points - They follow the rule of 3. At these points you want to execute the focal to your viewer. Try to place the render within these focal, or the main aspect of the render within them. At the moment your render seems to be in the correct spot. However slightly moving it to the right just a tiny bit can improve it dramatically.

purple square: This is where the best text placement would be in my opinion. being at the bottom right sort of looks out of place and doesn't utilize the focal areas. As you can see if you placed at the purple square you'll be on the green focal point. Now you may be thinking: "Yeah but i don't want my text to be in the focal point"...Well technically it won't since its using less focal areas than the render and also if you make sure it blends well it won't steal much focus. You want in a tag your text to be about 20% focus, 70% render/main image and 10% rest.

blue shades: This area is where you want to be using some soft brushes, or effects such as fractals and c4ds. make sure it doesn't cover too much of the render though. By covering this blue area you'll boost the images potential in terms of visual and also focal. It'll also make the tag stand out more as at the moment its looking a bit plain. Sort of like a smudged background with a render placed on top. Not much effort has gone into trying to blend the render into the background. However its a easy fix. These blue shaded area is where you can make the biggest impact! I would advise using fractals at Linear Dodge (add) and then erasing the parts that don't look right and cover the render. Maybe put the fractal behind the render if its causing too much trouble and then erasing with a soft round brush around the render.

Tip: Best method for blending a render into a background is to select your render. So there's a selection going around your render (NOT YOUR CANVAS). Then going to Select > Modify > feather > 1px... then select > inverse . Now you've made a 1 px feather around the render. Then press delete and it'll automatically blend the render into the background, press delete again if you want it to blend even further into the background. However don't go deletion (trigger) happy. ^_^ you don't want your render to disappear into the background TOO MUCH.

Green areas: as expressed it shows the rule of three and articulates the focal areas. The two outlined are the most important. Utilize it and make sure you try to grab the viewers attention to these areas as much as possible, maybe sharpening 20% more than the rest of the render, or putting some effects around them.

Overall Nyoike, despite my harsh criticism, its a great first attempt at a smudge sig. Much better than my first attempt by a long shot. ^^

Yes, I did follow your tut.

The Cyan part: I had that before I decided to make it be a fire, I just started with having an orange light coming from the bottom right and it eventually became a fire. I will hopefully be able to redo that part with minimal problems.

The Green part: I do know about the rule of thirds, but I thought that there wasn't enough of the render on there if I went further to the left, but I'll experiment with it as it should look better! (Proven by science!)

The Purple part: I'll have to try putting the text there, again I know about rule of thirds so it makes sense to me, I just found it easiest to blend in the lower corner and, TBH, I'm lazy. =P

The Blue part: I did do the feather part, but maybe not enough (I only used a clipping mask instead of deleting it ). What kind of soft brushes do you mean? And as for fractals and C4Ds, those were an after thought so I started to add those in after I uploaded all of these xD. You say they should go in the blue areas and, if possible, go above the render?

The Green part(2): So you say sharpen/effects at those focal points depicted by rule of thirds?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'ma be working on improving this before and possibly during the GW2 Stress test tomorrow.

Edit2: I don't know why my last bit of this is in italics... I didn't code it as such.
To be updated soon!
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 26, 2012 10:08pm | Report
Xiao took out the magic markers on dem.

Nyo - go to page 3 of my thread. There's an amazing text tutorial there somewhere.

Neighbourhood GFX Troll.

I critique/troll signatures as well as make them
here.
My DeviantArt
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2012 8:39am | Report
Awesome cnc xiao plus one for chu. Thank you once again for awesomely epic cnc.
Nyoike
<Member>
Nyoike's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2012 9:26am | Report
After trying more stuff with that CnC from Xiao in mind I got this:
To be updated soon!
Xiaowiriamu
<Veteran>
Xiaowiriamu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2012 10:00am | Report
Glad i can help ^_^

@Nyoike much better - i'll delete some parts of the render, seems to linear atm in terms of color.

To aid in making the image better

- Try some image adjustments
- Create a enw layer and apply image > select your render > filter > sharpen and reduce opacity to about 30%.
- Use dodge and burn tool to boost the light source and also areas that should be darker.
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2012 12:05pm | Report
imo fat big letters are hard to incorporate into sigs as they take up lots of surface

skinny lettering ftw.

was bored; cnc is kewl

Neighbourhood GFX Troll.

here.
My DeviantArt
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2012 5:50pm | Report

WIP, needs text and cleaning up some affects/adding more affects. Some other things. I just tossed this together.
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2012 5:52pm | Report

WIP, needs text and cleaning up some affects/adding more affects. Some other things. I just tossed this together.

Looks good so far - one concern, the flares behind Hitman's back are kinda obvious persay because of their same colour. Not only do they stand out compared to the rest of the movement, but they're not varied in terms of tone ect.

spotted grey and jeffy on fringefx

Neighbourhood GFX Troll.

here.
My DeviantArt
Nyoike
<Member>
Nyoike's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 27, 2012 6:33pm | Report

Jeffy, I'm sorry to be a bit of a grammar nazi, but please use the proper "Effect".

"Effect" is the noun, "Affect" is the verb.

One of my biggest pet peeves I guess (Sorry D=)

As for your sig, it looks pretty good for a current WIP, but what about your other WIP sigs?
To be updated soon!
Greynade
<Member>
Greynade's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 28, 2012 12:20am | Report
Trying new stuffz

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide