Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Let's Talk About Swain

Creator: ShenMasterFlash April 12, 2011 4:09pm
1 2
ShenMasterFlash
<Member>
ShenMasterFlash's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 4:09pm | Report
Hey! I am just starting to play as Swain, and am trying to get a basic item build down...here is what I am starting to think.

Doran's Ring (for early survivability)
(Lane until I have enough to sell ring and get Cat the Protector)
Sorc Shoes or Merc Treads (depending on how much CC the other team has)
Rylai's Crystal Scepter (uber-slow for Swain)

Now here is where it really starts to get dicey

I've ruled out ever trying to go for spell vamp.
A few guides really push for Spirit Visage.
A few other items considered are Archangel's Staff, Void Staff, or Abyssal Scepter.
Rabadon's Deathcap? I imagine I'll typically upgrade my catas into a BV.

The item I have the most questions about is Deathfire Grasp. I've seen a few guides that really strongly urge NOT getting it. But it does seem that the active could work really well with Torment.

Also, does everyone think I'm crazy in thinking that quicksilver sash might be a great item on swain? A big problem is he has to get a little closer than some mages, and if you are CC'd before ult, you could be in trouble. A Sash can really save your butt. But maybe a waste of space?

Anyway, as you can see, I'm just starting to put my build together. Would love some help from Swain players!
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 4:18pm | Report
Depending on your necessity of summoner spells, you could just use Cleanse instead of getting Sash.

I personally don't get Doran's at all, but it works for a lot of people. Go for it.

Sorc + RoA (Archangel's) + Rylai's + Deathcap... you are set.

The other AP items are generally situational. Void if enemy has MR. Abyssal if enemy has good AP DPS.

And Banshee's is always good to have.

DFG is a great item to have late game, especially if the enemy has a lot of HP.

And all spell vamp items got buffed in the latest patch. XD
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
shinussiel
<Member>
shinussiel's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 4:18pm | Report
I would consider myself a pretty good swain player and I have been using this since day one. http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=154 Good luck :)
Made by Scrax
Check out my Renekton Guide (Under Construction)
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 4:19pm | Report
shinussiel wrote:

I would consider myself a pretty good swain player and I have been using this since day one. http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=154 Good luck :)

^^ He is. :P
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 4:24pm | Report
Spell Vamp got a buff, maybe have another try at it?

JHOIJHOI IS THE BESTEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD AND THIS SIG IS AMAZING TY <3
ShenMasterFlash
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 8:40pm | Report
shinussiel, if you check back in on this post, can you go into a little detail as to why you don't like Deathfire Grasp on Swain. I haven't tried it, but it really seems like it would be pretty nice to hit after you land E. Boom over 30% of health gone. Just curious
shinussiel
<Member>
shinussiel's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 8:45pm | Report
I dislike the item personally because of the lack of other stats. Besides the passive there isnt really anything there and you dont need the active. It's also pretty expensive and I personally believe there are just better items. Especially on Swain. He focuses on constant damage, not nuke damage which makes Deathfire Grasp not as ideal as other items. Building him as a tanky mage allows him to get right in there and slow them all while dealing some okay damage and if they go after you they are just wasting there time. Deathfire Grasp can be a viable item but I don't think it is ideal for Swain. These are my thoughts, you are welcome to object :)
Made by Scrax
Check out my Renekton Guide (Under Construction)
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 9:23pm | Report
AA or DFG's desirable since he's so mana hungry and DFG has a nice synergy with his damage-output debuff.

You want to be able to spam Crow when needed.

Rylai's the only true staple item. Spirit Visage is iffy.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
ShenMasterFlash
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 13, 2011 12:52am | Report
That didn't go well at all. Man I get DEMOLISHED as swain. Is he like not viable at low summoner level or something?!?! i mean I did like NO damage....
Read
<Member>
Read's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 13, 2011 10:40am | Report
You probably just sucked. Focus on your E first. its % based increase in damage. For harass snare with W then throw E then Q. Thatll take half a squishys hp. The next time they come back do it again. If you want the kill throw in your ignite for triple dot and they are dead. Swain is amazing in lane (IMO). But you have DOTs. Which means you throw them and then back. You have to wear enemies down until you get some ap for your lifesteal.

Hes not like some champs where you harass with 1 skill. You harass with your combo.
Join me, or fall forever
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide