Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

An Expected Journey: S5 ranked with Nameless

Creator: The_Nameless_Bard January 21, 2015 9:00am
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 8, 2015 10:07pm | Report
I honestly feel like no one pays attention to these posts, so that's why I haven't been very specific. I do apologize for that, but I tend to feel like I'm an annoyance to people, so I try to not waste their time. No point, in my mind, in being super specific if (pretty much) the only time anyone says something is to tell me I should play a different role/champion so I can carry easier (no offense to anyone who's said that, but it honestly annoys the **** out of me).

I can type out every thought I had throughout the game: e.g. I picked Karma because a. I wanted to manipulate the fact that Vayne doesn't have a strong early game/much range (by just making her life a living hell) and so I could harass the Blitzcrank constantly so he'd be too low to initiate safely (which is the main reason I picked her in that last game and I did a pretty good job of those things) and b. we didn't really need a tank, so I opted for being a secondary damage dealer over Janna, but if no one actually cares one way or the other is there any point?

I'm terrible at giving myself any credit for anything (because I basically treat the good things I do as normal/expected of me and negative things as really bad), and if I allow myself to do so will make massive lists of all the things (minor or not so minor) that I screwed up while saying hardly any positive things. I try to avoid that because I feel it's a really unhealthy way to act and I'm already unhealthy enough as is without that. That mostly means all my positive points are just me being dishonest about how I feel about things, while the negatives end up being me deliberately holding back all the nasty things I want to spew about myself. Which makes it all sound pretty much the same as I get more frustrated.

I'll try to put more content here, but it really does seem sorta pointless.
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 8, 2015 10:09pm | Report
Holy ****. Well done, emi - There were things I wanted to talk about here, but I didn't think I could articulate my thoughts without drawing some pictures.
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 8, 2015 10:16pm | Report
Also, as a random comment (I'm upset about other stuff right now, so understand that that's definitely effecting what I'm saying), it's sort of annoying to feel like I'm the only person getting flack for how much I put on here when it's not like anyone acts like they care one way or the other what I say or don't say on this thread. Plenty of people put significantly less information than I do and no one complains to them about it, so it's really frustrating to feel singled out when I, at least, try.
Emi
<Fabulous>
Emi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 8, 2015 10:30pm | Report
I honestly feel like no one pays attention to these posts, so that's why I haven't been very specific.

The point of having a ranked thread (or at least in my eyes) isn't to garner attention or entertain others.

Rather, I feel like it's a way to force yourself to sit down and have a period of self-reflection, where you can figure exactly what happened in that game and what was good/bad. This way, it becomes less of being a social blog, and more of a self-documentation of improvement. If you consistently write down exactly what plays you made, then you open yourself to making those plays again because you know exactly what you did to lead up to that play and you understand what effect it had across the map.

Quoted:
I can type out every thought I had throughout the game: e.g. I picked Karma because a. I wanted to manipulate the fact that Vayne doesn't have a strong early game/much range (by just making her life a living hell) and so I could harass the Blitzcrank constantly so he'd be too low to initiate safely (which is the main reason I picked her in that last game and I did a pretty good job of those things) and b. we didn't really need a tank, so I opted for being a secondary damage dealer over Janna, but if no one actually cares one way or the other is there any point?

Again, the point isn't to make others entertained. If you wanted to do that, you are more than welcome to stream ^_^

You write those things down because those are the thought processes that led you to make your decisions. If you look back in a couple days or in a week or so, you might realize that maybe (completely hypothetical/random situation as an example) going with a heavier CC champion over a long ranged poke champion would have made it easier for 2v2 trades, which would establish stronger lane presence, which leads to a fed ADC. Suddenly, the game becomes less about impressing others and more about improving yourself and your own decision making skills.

Quoted:
I'm terrible at giving myself any credit for anything (because I basically treat the good things I do as normal/expected of me and negative things as really bad)

Be completely honest with yourself. Do you really think that's going to help you improve or climb the ladder? Even if that is just what your nature or psychological make up is, forcing yourself to have an attitude adjustment, even when it comes to this game only, can drastically change how you view the game.

Quoted:
and if I allow myself to do so will make massive lists of all the things (minor or not so minor) that I screwed up while saying hardly any positive things.

There is actually absolutely nothing wrong with that. The only problem I see is that even after making those lists, you don't do much to try and avoid those situations/bad plays again.

Quoted:
I'll try to put more content here, but it really does seem sorta pointless.

Again, the point of putting more content is not for us, the readers. It is there to help you, the person who is trying to climb analyze your own gameplay. If it's pointless for you, then of course it's pointless to the rest of us.

In contrast, if you make it worth it to yourself to sit down and spend 10-15 minutes giving your own gameplay a solid evaluation, then that makes it worth to us as the spectators :)

utopus wrote:
Holy ****. Well done, emi - There were things I wanted to talk about here, but I didn't think I could articulate my thoughts without drawing some pictures.

Hehe, thanks ^_^

Also, as a random comment (I'm upset about other stuff right now, so understand that that's definitely effecting what I'm saying), it's sort of annoying to feel like I'm the only person getting flack for how much I put on here when it's not like anyone acts like they care one way or the other what I say or don't say on this thread. Plenty of people put significantly less information than I do and no one complains to them about it, so it's really frustrating to feel singled out when I, at least, try.

Other people that put significantly less amount of information aren't Veterans of the site, nor are they stuck with an admittedly difficult role to carry with. I'm not sure why you see numerous people (many more than on my own, for example) who are trying to help you get where you want to be as people who are singling you out (I'm disregarding your self-confidence issues here. If you want to climb/live a healthy lifestyle, you have to have an attitude readjustment :P). The reason why everyone pitches in is because we (AS YOUR MOBAFAILIAN FRIENDS) want to see you get to Gold/Plat/Diamond, where ever you want to get.
Made this sig myself :)
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 8, 2015 11:08pm | Report
I already said I don't think my attitude is positive, my attitude about life in general is downright unhealthy. Right now the only way I can manage to improve it (when it comes to this) is by refusing to let myself post massive walls of text about how **** I think I am, which unfortunately results in posts that are basically entirely dishonest with what I actually believe. So yes, it's the same **** over and over because I don't actually believe 90% of it.

I believe that most people on here either have no opinion about me or assume/already think I'm trash. This was never about impressing anyone as I don't feel I'd be able to even if I wanted to.

Contrary to what seems to be believed, unless I am posting right after a game I do take time to think about it. The problem is that, again, I am basically spouting things I don't actually believe.

How I actually feel about that Karma game (as an example)
Spoiler: Click to view

I'm feeling singled out because I'm having kind of a bad day already and I'm being overly sensitive, as already stated, sorry about that.

EDIT: I really don't feel like a differently colored name and a specific title obligate me to stress myself out so people feel like I'm "putting in enough effort" on something that is supposed to be intended for myself. Also, I doubt anyone really cares that I'm "climbing" while playing a role that isn't suited for it, it's not like there aren't other people doing a better job of it atm.
lanilwow
<Member>
lanilwow's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 9, 2015 6:32am | Report
Can I throw my 2 cents in?

Quoted:
I honestly feel like no one pays attention to these posts

I pay attention. Not only to your thread but others here as well. I’m a lurker and don’t post much on anyone’s competitive threads for two reasons. 1) I don’t know enough to offer any advice. 2) I don’t want to clutter up someone’s thread. I read them to try and learn from other peoples good and bad games. I find detailed comments on game play and thoughts during the game to be very helpful to me.

For example I really like Phreak, Voyboy and St. Vicious’ stream. They talk about what is going on in the game and why they are doing what they do. Very good streams for someone learning. I like the competitive threads here on the boards that do similar things. They are helpful to learning.

Now I understand that the true purpose of the threads is to aid in your own learning and to have a history to see your improvements over time. Really the thread is about you so make it what you want.

Another point, I read your detailed game review in the above post. I see what you mean about how you magnify your bad and minimize your good. Many of the things you refer to as “luck” are the skills I am working on.

Example:

Quoted:
I did kill her entirely on my own once, but she just completely misplayed it (got hit by two RQs because I kited her long enough with flash/E/Q to have my R up again), so that's more luck than skill.

I can’t do that… When I try to kite I get myself killed! I’m working on Attack Move, but I can’t do what you did there!

Another example:

Quoted:
Didn't abuse the fact that Blitzcrank was a complete and total moron because I just didn't bother.

You recognized he was not a threat. I can’t always recognize that soon enough to capitalize on it. Unless he was tripping over his own two feet I can miss this important game point! Not luck, good analysis of the game situation!

More?

Quoted:
I didn't really use Exhaust to peel much (not that it mattered because for the most part we weren't in situations where it would have done enough if someone died), instead I mostly just used it as a point and click slow to help allies pick up kills.

Who needs to peel when the threats are dead? =p You know when I think about using exhaust? When I’m looking at the death timer and realize that I might have been able to keep me or someone else alive had I used it…..

Ya, you’re right you are hard on yourself. But reading that longer post made me analyze some of my own game. I know that is not the point of the thread but if it helps you, post it. Cause it helps me =)

You remind me so much of my sister-in-law. Beautiful, smart, fun to be around but she is so hard on herself that she beats herself up so bad sometimes and then hides in the corner (figuratively). Hoping the world won’t notice her. I look forward to the day she can see herself for the wonderful person that she really is. I hope one day you can see that for yourself as well. Oh and she has dark hair with tight curls and black rim glasses…. =)

Tl;dnr

I read these posts. I seek to learn from them. As you know already, you are better than you think you are in so many ways!
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 11, 2015 12:42pm | Report
Games 80-82: Nothing new...except I've decided to play Bard in ranked now.

Things I did right:
  • Pretty good use of CC and such with Bard and Janna
  • fairly decent vision control overall
  • Overall, I played pretty well in the last two games
  • Saved some *** with Tempered Fate (and Monsoon), made some really good plays with it.
Areas where improvement is needed:
  • Played really passive in the Thresh game, which might have been fine, but halfway through I started having huge ping issues (which eventually alleviated). I also just didn't do enough through most of it
  • Wasn't totally confident with my usage of Magical Journey, need to work on that. I wanted to level one fight to really push the advantage of having a stun, Vayne wasn't interested (she picked after I did, so no sympathy is felt for that lack of synergy). It honestly might have given us a pretty big advantage that we just never got. Should probably have gotten Frozen Heart earlier instead of worrying about Mikael's Blessing. Also question selling Frostfang to start on Talisman of ascension.
  • In the Janna game I just couldn't peel Hecarim well enough. I also didn't have much of a presence in lane and I should have.
notes:
  • Sort of annoyed, but I'm not losing all that much LP. I should be fine and get it all back soon enough.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 11, 2015 2:14pm | Report
In terms of information provided here: better/worse/neutral?
Emi
<Fabulous>
Emi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 11, 2015 4:47pm | Report
Definitely better :)

You're already analyzing what item picks would have been better, and since you have your thought processes in writing and you know what you did wrong, I can guarantee those thought processes will soon carry over to spur of the moment decision making.

Even though you seem to have a little trouble with being positive (understandable since you lost :/ keep up the faith though! you said it yourself, you didn't lose much LP and you can easily gain it back), but you could always elaborate more on your "Things I did right". For example, in regards to vision control, were there any times where you and your teammates got picks because you had vision of the enemy team? Were you able to get dragon/baron timers even though your team couldn't steal or contest? Did you ruin enemy ganks because you had all of bot side warded? Which wards in particular helped (river, drag pit, tri)? etc. etc. I could go on if you need more help praising yourself :3
Thanks to XeresAce for the sig!
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 11, 2015 5:03pm | Report
Mostly proud of a really good Tempered Fate that got Vayne a 2v4 quadrakill. After we lost she was like "as per the usual, report da Bard" to which our enemies said she should thank me and gave me four honorable opponent ._.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide