Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

A Newbies guide for Newcomers

Creator: MyBloodisBlack September 1, 2013 10:36am

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
MyBloodisBlack
<Member>
MyBloodisBlack's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 1, 2013 10:36am | Report
Greetings fellow summoners,

I have been playing League of Legends for 5 months now so I am basically a baby compared to alot of you but I have been working hard to become a better player and I know alot of you who may be just starting want to get better too...unfortunately getting better isn't as easy as some people may wish you to believe but as a summoners who going through the learning stage I would like to personally give people my own 10 tips on what to do in League of Legends.

1. Use ARAM to your advantage

ARAM is a haven for new players to try out champions they have never thought about trying before, this may be because the champion is in a role you don't particularly like or you just feel you won't be able to get the most out of them but don't be afraid to try them out, you are probably in a win/win situation because its more rare that players will get a champion they like too and who knows you may discover that you actually like the champion in the end and you may even find yourself gaining alot of respect for a role you originally hated.

2. Get a feel of a champion in beginners

Playing Bot games is vital to your future success in League of Legends because it can give you the best opportunity to get a idea of what different abilities and combos can do in the game and allows you to practice with smart-cast and even trying out different builds until you find a champion you feel most comfortable with.

3. Principle of Charity

When it is time to finally play against others in summoners rift you will want to play safe and assume that your opponent is better than you believe, they may do some weird plays during the match but most likely they probably know something you don't whether its they have got a good combo ready or they know they got team mates ready to pounce you so be cautious and try not to bite unless you know you are ready to deal with any and all situations.

4. Warding is a team thing...not just support

Biggest problem in League of Legends is of course warding, Alot of arrogant players are convinced that its a support job to do the warding (you may also think the same) but its not in fact its a team task that has to be carried out by Top Lane, Mid Lane and even Jungle so be aware of this before blaming your support for what is essentially blind ignorance.

5. Do not spam "Report"

Nothing annoys team mates more than someone posting every 10 seconds that they wont someone reported for whatever reason, if you wish to report someone you should show restraint and wait until the match is over to do so, if other players want to report the same player they will do so and it also gives you time to see if you are being harsh on the player in question...they may not be as bad as you once feel.

6. Don't play to win... Play to have fun

This may sound ridiculous but at the end of the day this is a game and game are meant to be fun and not some life or death situation as so many make it seem but this is also a great way to mentally improve yourself because if you play to win and lose then you lose face but if you go into the game to have a laugh then posing doesn't seem a big deal and of course if you win you get a confidence boost that can go a long way.

7. Ignore the As... Respect the critics

When playing you are bound to run into those players who just want to spend the game informing you that you are rubbish and that you are nothing etc... award these players quickly with a trip to the ignore list because they are not only hurting you but also the team with their actions.
At the same time if you got players telling you are not good because you should have done this or that then you should take their criticism with a pinch of salt and understand they have actually gone out of their way to help you get better even when mad at you.

8. Negativity costs games as much as Feeds

We have all be in that game where someone is not playing well, they are getting killed all the time and suddenly their lane is so feed they could dominate the whole game and you wanna get onto the chat and ridicule the player for his poor performance...But Do not do that, step back and ask yourself "What might be the problem?" and "Could I actually advice them on how to play better?", this simply mindset can change alot of matches back to your favor instead of digging the hole deeper.

9. Do not be afraid to Kill Steal

We all know its annoying for other champions if they work hard on a enemy then suddenly a troll appears and takes the credit but don't be put off if you feel its needed because if you don't take the kill then they will most likely come back fully healed quickly whilst being incapacitated means they are out of action for a while...yes your team mate will hate you for it but whats good for the team is good for all.

10. Don't push yourself too hard

When playing we start to feel like we are playing out of duty and sometimes we feel we just HAVE to play but do not do that, playing league of legends is like listening to your favourite song...if you start to listen to it over and over again you will soon start to enjoy it less and then hate it, so be sure to take breaks from play and do other things between playing even playing another game will help you to enjoy League of Legends for alot longer.

I hope this guide helps other and I thank you for taking the time to read this :)
"The Wolf eyes the Prey, The Cow eats the hay, One of them is a killer, The other his buffet"
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 1, 2013 10:51am | Report
1. Why the **** would people be afraid of ARAM?

2. Do not play bot games, you will not learn anything

3. See #2

4. Do not assume that the enemy is better than you. Never assume this. Go into lane confident in your own skill, disrespect the opponent and make him fear you. Relevant link skip ahead to 3:10

5. true

6. maybe, report if your teammates or enemy team deserves it

7. play for both

8. Respect the critic only if he is giving good advice, don't respect someone just because they're critical of you

9. realizing when to secure a kill and when to give it up is important. Don't gun for the kill if it's obvious your team can get it

10. you will never get better if you dont push yourself

this guide is great for noobs in that you tell them the opposite of what they should do
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
MyBloodisBlack
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 1, 2013 10:56am | Report
I respect your opinion on my guide mooninites
"The Wolf eyes the Prey, The Cow eats the hay, One of them is a killer, The other his buffet"
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 1, 2013 11:06am | Report
He stays true to his principles.
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 1, 2013 11:08am | Report
playing bot games because 'that will help you improve more than normal games' is dumb and a stupid reason to play bot games...yes you should play a lot of bot games...but not to get better (in a generic sense at least, you will get better, but not a whole lot), in order to level up faster, because co op vs ai is the fastest way to level up atm. It also means when you're first starting out (the time where you're worst at the game) you won't lose a lot and have your normal elo suck, you can go into games fairly confident after you've played a bunch of co op vs ai and once you have runes, masteries, and a decent champion pool.

MyBloodisBlack
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 1, 2013 11:15am | Report
Mooninites wrote:

1. Why the **** would people be afraid of ARAM?

2. Do not play bot games, you will not learn anything

3. See #2

4. Do not assume that the enemy is better than you. Never assume this. Go into lane confident in your own skill, disrespect the opponent and make him fear you. Relevant link skip ahead to 3:10

5. true

6. maybe, report if your teammates or enemy team deserves it

7. play for both

8. Respect the critic only if he is giving good advice, don't respect someone just because they're critical of you

9. realizing when to secure a kill and when to give it up is important. Don't gun for the kill if it's obvious your team can get it

10. you will never get better if you dont push yourself

this guide is great for noobs in that you tell them the opposite of what they should do

However...

1. When I said don't be affraid of ARAM I meant that alot of players who get champions they dont like instantly quit because they dont want to feel like they are not going to do well.

2 and 3. Are you out of my mind? Bot games are essential to learning because you got time to harness your skills without restraints, I am not saying that you can learn from being pummeled all the time against opponents as you try to learn how to play but in PVP theres very little respect and no one is going to truly care if you are "new to the champion.

4. I didn't say assume the opponent is better than you merely to assume they are better than you think

5. Glad you actually agreed with something

6. By all means report but dont need to spend the game continuously begging your team mates to report someone then it only seeks to damage the team as a whole more than is needed.

7. I sense you missed the point

8. See 7

9. See 7

10. Theres pushing yourself to get better and pushing yourself to the point you begin to hate playing the game
MyBloodisBlack
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 1, 2013 11:23am | Report
Nighthawk wrote:

playing bot games because 'that will help you improve more than normal games' is dumb and a stupid reason to play bot games...yes you should play a lot of bot games...but not to get better (in a generic sense at least, you will get better, but not a whole lot), in order to level up faster, because co op vs ai is the fastest way to level up atm. It also means when you're first starting out (the time where you're worst at the game) you won't lose a lot and have your normal elo suck, you can go into games fairly confident after you've played a bunch of co op vs ai and once you have runes, masteries, and a decent champion pool.

Sorry but what will levelling up faster do? I made that mistake because I got to level 30 too quickly without learning anything I made mistakes that cost me matches and alot of respect amongst friends amd fellow summoners.

And you do learn alot more in bot games than you may think, I played champions in PVP straight away and I played them in PVP after a few days of bot games and from my own experience I made less mistakes in my game after bot games than just throwing myself in the deep end.

Now I respect some learn better from being nearly drowned as it were but I am not one of them, I like others prefer the steady progression from the kiddy pool to swimming in the big pool if you get what I am saying?
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 1, 2013 12:25pm | Report
Bot games make you worse at the game, if anything.
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 1, 2013 12:51pm | Report

Sorry but what will levelling up faster do? I made that mistake because I got to level 30 too quickly without learning anything I made mistakes that cost me matches and alot of respect amongst friends amd fellow summoners.

And you do learn alot more in bot games than you may think, I played champions in PVP straight away and I played them in PVP after a few days of bot games and from my own experience I made less mistakes in my game after bot games than just throwing myself in the deep end.

Now I respect some learn better from being nearly drowned as it were but I am not one of them, I like others prefer the steady progression from the kiddy pool to swimming in the big pool if you get what I am saying?

lol then you should love playing a lot of bot games...not really sure what you're arguing against. There's not really any cons to leveling fast from bot games since you're playing bot games, learning champions, getting IP to spend on runes, masteries, summoners, etc. It's still going to take you a fairly long time to level to 30. Intermediate bots are also hard enough that new players will have a challenge taking them on and stomping them, and they can actually help you learn how to play against certain strategies, since bots tend to do the same thing every game - group up and roam, push in groups, etc.

sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 1, 2013 12:52pm | Report

Sorry but what will levelling up faster do?

It will pit you against players of a more suitable level. The faster you face harder enemies, the faster you will learn.

I learnt so much bad **** in bots. It's not worth it. You can learn your champ mechanics in a better simulated situation if you go into normals.

But yeah, if this was a written guide, I'd downvote this without question.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide