Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

AD vs AP - A discussion about damage

Creator: BusDriver210 August 4, 2012 9:11pm
BusDriver210
<Member>
BusDriver210's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2012 1:15pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:
Karthus has much lower single target DPS and Veigar has no DPS at all.

Right, but Veigar has the potential to outmatch any burst in the game given the time. His number ceiling is competitive with AD carries. Am I wrong in thinking so?
+Rep me if i'm useful!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2012 1:17pm | Report
Veigar has probably the highest burst in the game but his DPS is lacklustre. No matter how much AP you have, you're still reliant on cooldowns.

You can pretty much test this by attempting buffs, dragon or baron using different champions. You'll notice that LeBlanc or Veigar for example are pretty damn horrible at doing them whereas Karthus, Cassiopeia and AD carries are very strong at it.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2012 1:18pm | Report
Plus Veigar requires a very special "all tanks and bruisers in front of me" team comp.
BusDriver210
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2012 4:04pm | Report
Lets look at it like this. If dodge was still a part of the game would AD carries be underpowered?
+Rep me if i'm useful!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2012 4:17pm | Report
It's not like you could exactly stack dodge in the first place. Other than the runes and Jax it was only on Ninja Tabi.
BusDriver210
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2012 6:13pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

It's not like you could exactly stack dodge in the first place. Other than the runes and Jax it was only on Ninja Tabi.

But if I remember correctly you could have around 17% dodge with seals and Tabi. That isn't 17% damage reduction, but a 17% chance to avoid 100% of physical damage. That is a massive counter that was removed and now without it I feel that AD damage sources have been slowly slipping out of control. I do understand they were designed to be the top end of DPS, but there has never been a nerf to compensate for the removal of dodge.
+Rep me if i'm useful!
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2012 6:18pm | Report

That isn't 17% damage reduction, but a 17% chance to avoid 100% of physical damage.

Mathematically there's no difference between the two.
BusDriver210
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2012 6:36pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:
Mathematically there's no difference between the two.

True, but in moment to moment fights there was a massive difference.
+Rep me if i'm useful!
MrCuddowls
<Member>
MrCuddowls's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2012 6:36pm | Report
it seems like your saying that Rylai's Crystal Scepter is equivalent to Phantom Dancer
don't know if that is true.
On the matter at hand
There is a reason a Carry Gets all the kills during a game
Ad carries are able to out put damage quickly and Deal a lot of it (for Example Ashe crits 1k with full build) In my opinion i think AD does out class AP in killing power.
Onto the Single target vs AOE
TBH this isnt really something to take into consideration, Unless the entire other team is a bunch of tanks, that still out put extreme damage then it would be a problem. You need to Trust your team to protect you as you kill all the enemies. you will be very squishy so this only makes sense.

AP nukes on the other hand are different, The damage out put from an annie with full build is equivalent to 2 shots from ashe with a full build on a targer with equivalent MR/armor
AP Nukes Have a cooldown on their skills and their Auto attacks arnt effective at all.

TBH i think the true skill players are people who play AP nukes
They have to do Combos, Land Skill shot, Have good positioning to be able to kill enemies.
Now while this is true, the ad carry still has an advantage, Ashe out puts 2 attacks equal to a q from annie, annie has a cooldown, Ashe continues attacking. now you might say that this is a bad example because annie has other skill but the thing is, Those all have cooldown, When you use all your skills on a target they will go on cooldown, but auto attacks dont have a cooldown, 2 auto attack hitting 600 damage each per second is by far more op than 4 nukes with long Cooldowns
H4xDefender
<Veteran>
H4xDefender's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2012 10:02pm | Report
Bruiser itemization sucks, not the role itself.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide