Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Anyone got some 'pro tips'?

Creator: throatslasher October 23, 2012 10:51am
KoreanSP
<Member>
KoreanSP's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2012 7:17pm | Report
General top lane tips off the top of my head.

Essentially, top has 3 type of game styles.

-Aggressive "Terror Lane, Terror Game"
-Farm - Passive, wait for teamfights
-Push towers, rush into mid game and roams

Trinity-Proccing - a very simple tip for several champs - when you use a skill, try to follow the next AA onto the enemy for more damage (usually applies to ranged champs such as Jayce, Nidalee, Corki)

'Cycling'/'Skill Cycle' - it's limited to a few champs in the game, essentially you harass by 'cycling' through your skills then popping back out, effectively having either 1. a better trade. 2. effective use of skills. Usually on mana-less champs such as Kat, Rengar, Nidalee.

Phage-kiting - Key for several champs who dominate top lane (Jayce, Nidalee, Kayle), this is also applicable to all phage-ranged champs.

'Lane Forcing' - It's a common thing in solo queue top lane, and as you get to 1800~ (around where I saw it most)+ at top lane, it becomes more and more popular. You stay in the second bush, and pop out when enemy minions pass, and try to force them to be near stacked. This way, despite the lane initially being onto the enemy's side more, the minions focus 1 minion at a time, rather split-damage hence by the third, even second wave, your lane is pushed to your side. From here, you can easily freeze/control the lane for the next several waves consistently. (This is mostly applicable in solo queue as team ranked, you'll likely be defending or working out an invade/counter invade)

~~~~~~

General tips

Ward baiting - extremely powerful for those with initiations or CC. Some include Anivia, Leona, Blitz(very useful skill on him). You put a ward into an obvious place where someone with oracles can clear it/pass by, or you put it in an unsuspecting place so someone would clear it. A higher level method is noting enemy pinks, then dropping a ward there without purposely giving away your intent of baiting.

Ward jumping - you can ward over walls and areas far away away from your reach. Hard to describe, although anyone who has played their share of games, most notably as support, will recognize this. You can ward at specific spots to 'jump' a ward. This would work well with videos, pictures, and so on.

Ward behind the signs at baron - you can avoid oracles/pinks outside the baron pit, a great use of wards when you are behind/losing map control.

Specific tips

I don't recall many off the top of my head.

Nidalee wall jumps, Draven's 'exploit' of extending his Q by one~ extra second everytime you cancel an AA, Alistar's W-Q combo, Singed's poison does the exact same effect by spamming his Q at one spot, compared to just having it on (saves 1 tick of mana). Useful in jungle when taking camps in a stationary fashion.
#2 Comprehensive Solo Top Olaf Guide

#3 Alistar Guide Comprehensive Alistar Guide

Gladly will help out anyone as well. PM me to check out a guide, or anything! Plat player - Top Lane main.
Acid Reigns
<Member>
Acid Reigns's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2012 8:04pm | Report
Champs with clones can be pinged to easily tell which is the real one.

Not saving flash can sometimes be much more effective. It's just a Lee Sin Q, why waste flash on that? Well if he lands it, then he jumps to you, slows you, and beats on you til you burn flash anyway. It'd be better to just simply flash his Q in the first place, unless you're quite tanky.

You can smite pets like tibbers, jack in the boxes, voidlings, or heim turrets, if they're causing you trouble.

Chain ccing is extremely effective (malph ult into ori ult)

Don't be afraid to use your skills, don't hold back your Ez ult, because you want to save it as a finisher. You want as much damage out as fast as possible. This applies even more so with CC.

You can use fort pots like mini summoner heals

Know when to run. If a weaker enemy is suddenly extremely aggressive, you should probably assume a gank is coming. Obviously you want to run if a much stronger enemy engages on you.

Abuse your opponents cooldowns. If TF uses a blue card on a minion, and you're playing someone who can easily dodge wild cards, you are completely free to harass him for the next few seconds.

If your enemy has a lot of AoE, try not to stand too close to your team

If your enemy is skillshot based, run perpendicular to them to dodge easily

recognize cooldowns, and juke accordingly if being attacked. For example if being chased down by Mundo, his cleaver is pretty predictable, juke when you know it's about to come up.

Try not to use high cooldown valuable spells on poor targets. (casting Summon Tibbers on Amumu, when you could hold it for 3 more seconds and catch his whole team)

I dunno, if I think of other stuff, I'll post more. Lots of these aren't really 'pro tips' but rather general things, but I posted them nevertheless :)
H4xDefender
<Veteran>
H4xDefender's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2012 9:46pm | Report
Spells don't draw minion aggro, only autoattacks.
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2012 10:14pm | Report

Spells don't draw minion aggro, only autoattacks.

Only most spells work this way. Spells that proc on-hit effects ( Parrrley, Mystic Shot) will draw minion aggro.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2012 11:07pm | Report
lifebaka wrote:

Only most spells work this way. Spells that proc on-hit effects ( Parrrley, Mystic Shot) will draw minion aggro.

Those aren't spells, they are auto attacks with a cooldown and a mana cost.
Tri lane for life.
AyushGarg
<Member>
AyushGarg's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 23, 2012 11:34pm | Report
I guess this could be a tip.

Try to harass Annie only when she has 0-2 stacks of Pyromania if you have to go close to her. She could just shield then attack you if she has 3.
YayaFTW
<Altruistic Artist>
YayaFTW's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 24, 2012 5:24am | Report
A tip few people know about it (I guess): You can only draw tower aggro when attacking an enemy champion if this enemy champion is within the tower range itself. For example: At Top lane if the enemy is slightly behind the tower range, when you'll attack him you wont draw aggro even if you are standing on his tower. Many times I've seen Jayce just zone low hp people with Q+E while attacking the twoer and he doesn't even draw aggro due to the long range that Q has.

I hope you see what I mean.
YayaFTW
<Altruistic Artist>
YayaFTW's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 24, 2012 5:45am | Report
MyRepublic wrote:

hmmm. One I always thought was funny was flashing into tower range when a yi alpha strikes you, but he's kinda gone out of style now so it's not very relevant.

Just today I was playing Katarina mid, It was around early phase (was lvl 6) then enemy jungle was Maokai so like I read in some other tips and tricks, I bought a ward and placed it in the limit of my tower range aggro. I was pushing lane hard. But as expected, the enemy mid, Cassiopeia flash-ulted me, luckily I turned my back instantly, I got slowed, then I see Maokai flashing in too. As soon as I saw Maokai's Twisted advance animation, I insta-shunpo to that ward and flash to get under my turret. The poor guy travelled from nearly his own tower to mine, After the root I Q+W and ignite and the tower finished him off.

I guess that's what you meant by baiting yi's alpha strike :P
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 24, 2012 6:04am | Report
All dash-to-damage spells can be negated with a well timed knockback.
Shadow Dance, Lunar Rush, Resonating Strike, etc.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 24, 2012 6:06am | Report
Pro tip don't fry bacon with your shirt off.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide