Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Best Tank

Creator: LeBlanCC April 10, 2011 12:54pm
43 posts - page 2 of 5
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 10, 2011 7:41pm | Report
One thing I want to say is that speaking 3 v 3, Rammus is without a doubt the best tank out there. He even has greater map control then Shen on 3 v 3.

Sacull_Kinslayer
<Member>
Sacull_Kinslayer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 10, 2011 7:57pm | Report
For me it is Jarvan. I am amazed more people don't play him as a pure tank. Most Jarvans focus on DPS and I think that is a mistake. His tanking abilities are so great for the team.

Shen is pretty awesome as well though. Probably the best pure tank for any team. I love grouping with one.
Did I manage to assist you in any way? Hook me up by hitting that nifty +Rep button.

All guides have been archived due to my not being able to play LoL currently. The information is still there and is good but until I return they will be archived. I am able to keep them updated and current though.

Vladimir's Blood Resource. Designed for beginner's and beyond.
Vladimir's Blood Resource: Post Nerf Edition.
The Exemplar of Tanking: Jarvan IV .

Making a Guide by jhoijhoi This is everything you need to know about making a guide. Amazing.

...and Buffy staked Edward. The End.
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 10, 2011 11:24pm | Report
As far as pure tanking goes (pure, defined by not caring about damage output or self preservation...at all), Shen obviously wins.

Where damage output and CC are concerned, Amumu is untouchable (AoE). He can play mostly AP and still stand against anybody.

As for the one champion that can take more damage than anybody else, Mordekaiser is unquestionably god.
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
PotatisFarfar's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 11, 2011 4:39am | Report
Gotta love how: Wich tank can take most dmg to: Wich tank is best.

And of we all know when it comes to tanks galio is best >:D
Sacull_Kinslayer
<Member>
Sacull_Kinslayer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 12:28am | Report
I think it also depends on how people define a tank. I have 3 criteria myself in this order:

1) Have the Ability to save team mates effectively and consistently, specifically carries (Preferably a not an ult.)
2) Have A Great Initiate
3) have Survivability

That is why I never consider heroes like Morde or Mundo as tanks. Shen has all of those. As does Jarvan.

Most other tanks have 2. But few have all 3.

Morde and Mundo have 1 each.
Did I manage to assist you in any way? Hook me up by hitting that nifty +Rep button.

All guides have been archived due to my not being able to play LoL currently. The information is still there and is good but until I return they will be archived. I am able to keep them updated and current though.

Vladimir's Blood Resource. Designed for beginner's and beyond.
Vladimir's Blood Resource: Post Nerf Edition.
The Exemplar of Tanking: Jarvan IV .

Making a Guide by jhoijhoi This is everything you need to know about making a guide. Amazing.

...and Buffy staked Edward. The End.
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 12:31am | Report
Don't forget the ability to have people focus you. Aggro generateing is a must for each tank
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 12:44am | Report
Some tanks can force focus (taunt) but the enemies can always jump to others when the effect is over. I like to think of Amumu as being able to do that quite well. He can run into the fight. Either the enemies focus him and take forever to kill him and die to your carries. Or they don't focus him and die to his awesome damage output. Mordekaiser can nearly do the same thing.

After all, think about it this way: Enemies focus the person on your team that does a lot of damage, correct? Haven't you ever thought about giving your tank a lot of damage? For the most part, it's not even that hard to add defensive capabilities to your damage output.

Simple as Mercury's Treads + Archangel's Staff+ Frozen Heart + Abyssal Scepter = Everything you have increases damage dealt and reduces damage taken. I have roughly the same amount of armor and magic resistance.

If my tank can destroy the enemy team, who do you think they don't have a choice to go after either way?
Personal habitual activites? Utilizing gargantuan idioms to fabricate intelligence.

"It's a colloquial shorthand that means the paradigm exists because of how the game works mechanically. Hence, "the Meta." Stop being a useless pedant." - PlayGooYa
PotatisFarfar
<Veteran>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 12:47am | Report
Well that is exactly my point, maybe not those items but my point.

My cho build for example:

RoA
Boots
FoN
Abyssal
Hourglass

You will be a beastly tank, and being able to nearly 1 shot there squishys with your combo.

Aggro, it is not just in WoW
animorte
<Member>
animorte's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 12:48am | Report
Exactly! Thank you, Potatis!

ZeroRacer
<Member>
ZeroRacer's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2011 12:50am | Report
I'm a bit concerned with malphite's ability to tank nowadays. Shield nerf hurt him quite a bit. Does he do alright in the jungle now instead of laning?

A bit more on the topic of this thread. I'll be honest, the idea of the tank to be able to be focused is just nonexistant. The idea of tanks come from RPGs such as dungeon siege, where the npcs simply aggro to the closest members of the team. Well, humans apparently simply can choose not to right click you and you run into some issues. The way I judge my tanks are 1. Amount of CC. and 2. Initiation. On those terms,...I'm quite partial to amuumu. He has an incredible offensive edge and a simply gamechanging ultimate. Rammus comes close behind him, and Shen does his job of saving carries very well. Still, I don't want a bodyguard for my carries, I want someone who can win(by giving the team the advantage) the teamfights.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide