Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

ELO HELL EXISTS, THESE ARE THE REASONS WHY

Creator: Rice Noodle Chan March 23, 2015 11:39pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12
Phil Collins
<Member>
Phil Collins's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2015 7:40pm | Report
My take on this is that elo hell does indeed exist. You being good at the game is only part of the equation, there are 4 other people who may or may not influence your elo.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 25, 2015 7:52pm | Report
My opinion has always been that Elo hell is simply a mindset wherein a player blames his allies and refuses to take responsibility for their own mistakes. Basically it only exists in your mind and the only way to "get out" is to start working on your own problems. You are generally the only common denominator in your games.
lanilwow
<Member>
lanilwow's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 26, 2015 5:29am | Report
I have to agree with the above statement, "you are generally the only common denominator in your games."

When you are playing a bronze game of LoL 50% of the people in the game are going to win. (this holds true for upper ELO as well. Trust me, I did the math.) The biggest, consistent difference between the other team and yours is that you are not on the other team. (You can check my math on this to but my calculations show that your are never on the other team!) The other 9 bronze players change constantly. To say that LoL structures the game so that the best bronze players are always on the team against you is a co-out.

If you are always on the losing team then it is a pretty sure sign that you are one of the weaker members of the team. Change your mind set. Instead of blaming the others players become better yourself. Lots of advice above on how to do that!

Good luck getting better and have some fun doing it!
MyBloodisBlack
<Member>
MyBloodisBlack's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 26, 2015 7:44am | Report
I do agree that there is a huge difference between "Bad" Gold players and "Bad" Bronze Players
If a player is bad in Gold its usually because they either got counter picked, they is struggling to work with their teammates style of play or just simply the other team has made them the target of the game - Pretty basic, nothing to say they are Bad players just in that particular game things didn't work out for them.

Then you have the bad players of Bronze who have all that PLUS *deep breath* Troll Picking, "Lagging", No idea what they are doing, constant flaming, bad builds, lack of knowledge of mechanics, AFKing, Trying Meta breakers in Ranked, Too scared to get into a team fight, trying to solo the match, Constant bad calls, poor warding, no warding, picking for the same lane as someone else...The list goes on and on and on and to make it worse unlikely who may get 1 of their bad players now and again, in Bronze you can get up to 3 of their Bad players quite regularly.

The worst part is that because of this, there are so many really good players (myself included) who because of these bad players struggle to climb the ranking because at the end of the day, Riot doesn't notice if you are playing well, it only notices that your team lost and you are a part of the team so you must be punished too.

personally id like to see Ranked score based on your KDA or something then if you actually played well and got a positive KDA you got Rank Points (so if you had 10 KDA you got 10 points) then at the very least those who are held down have a actual chance to climb out.

But thats just my opinion
"The Wolf eyes the Prey, The Cow eats the hay, One of them is a killer, The other his buffet"
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 26, 2015 7:58am | Report
The day KDA becomes the way we decide ranking is the day I quit league. Support mains all in Bronze, no matter how good they are, while any idiot who can clean up with a hypercarry is diamond even if their positioning is **** and they can't CS properly. Does that seem fair to you?

KDA is NOT a clear indication of how well someone played in a game. It just isn't.

Also, if you struggle to climb out of Bronze, it's pretty much a guarantee that you are not "really good" at the game.
MyBloodisBlack
<Member>
MyBloodisBlack's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 26, 2015 8:13am | Report

Also, if you struggle to climb out of Bronze, it's pretty much a guarantee that you are not "really good" at the game.

So basically if you are on a team with 3 players who are messing around and would be more useful if they actually went AFK and although you play as good a game as you can because the team lost a basic 2 v 5 game then it is as much your fault as theirs?

I don't agree at all and although yes maybe using KDA might be a bad idea, it was merely an example - I will always believe that the score should be as much based on individual skill as the team performance considering its SOLO q.
"The Wolf eyes the Prey, The Cow eats the hay, One of them is a killer, The other his buffet"
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 26, 2015 8:25am | Report
Well, it's unlikely that you made no mistakes yourself so, yes, it is just as much your fault. What your allies do is generally out of your control, the only thing you can do is work on your own play and stop worrying about what other people do. As I already stated above, you are often the only common denominator in your games. This means that if you consistently lose games or are just unable to climb that you're making mistakes (even if you don't realize it), probably not taking charge as needed or just making poor calls, have a terrible attitude, and/or just not having enough of an impact on the game to win. Those are all things within your control, so worry about them and stop blaming other people.

League is a team game: the game you played 100% flawlessly is the ONLY game where you can start chucking all the blame at other people for losing.
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 26, 2015 8:51am | Report

So basically if you are on a team with 3 players who are messing around and would be more useful if they actually went AFK and although you play as good a game as you can because the team lost a basic 2 v 5 game then it is as much your fault as theirs?

I don't agree at all and although yes maybe using KDA might be a bad idea, it was merely an example - I will always believe that the score should be as much based on individual skill as the team performance considering its SOLO q.

You aren't taking into account the fact that players on your opponent's team might be messing around. If you never troll, this will make you more favored to win matches. Matchmaking isn't fair if you look at it on an individual game basis - however, if you look at your last 100 games, you'll find that the amount of games lost due to AFKs on your team vs the amount of games lost due to AFKs on your opponent's team should be about equal.

KDA is an okay estimator of skill, if the number of games you've played on a champion is reasonably high (>30), but i'd like to see more stats that emphasize the consistency of a players' performance on a champion for the latest n games played on that champion. Like, seeing a histogram of a player's deaths in the past 25 games would be REALLY cool.
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
UnstoppableBacon
<Member>
UnstoppableBacon's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 26, 2015 10:16am | Report
The hilarious part of this thread is that the poster doesn't get that his opponents are just as bad as his bad teammates. If you're in Bronze you're there for a reason. Work on game mechanics and get a few champs that you can play really well with and just go from there.
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 26, 2015 11:21am | Report
Then you have the bad players of Bronze who have all that PLUS *deep breath* Troll Picking, "Lagging", No idea what they are doing, constant flaming, bad builds, lack of knowledge of mechanics, AFKing, Trying Meta breakers in Ranked, Too scared to get into a team fight, trying to solo the match, Constant bad calls, poor warding, no warding, picking for the same lane as someone else...The list goes on and on and on and to make it worse unlikely who may get 1 of their bad players now and again, in Bronze you can get up to 3 of their Bad players quite regularly.

You just described plat, diamond and Master.

You can't comment on how bad bronze is until you've played in any other tier.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide