Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Let's make LoL an Olympic event

Creator: kindle August 7, 2012 8:17pm
1 2
kindle
<Member>
kindle's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2012 8:17pm | Report
League of Legends is way more interesting than some of those dodgy Olympic sports like synchronized swimming and curling.

Sign the petition at http://torchforgaming.org/ and let's make it happen.
MrCuddowls
<Member>
MrCuddowls's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2012 9:10pm | Report
This Petition Is WAAAAY To unpopular and Has way to little votes for me to even trust.
Sorry mate, i don't think anyone is signing this.

Edit: Ya Falseo made a good point as well. the idea isn't good in the first place. Olympics originated in greece as a place for women to show of their strength
NOW it's an organization that brings people together and Stresses the importance of friendship and competition. The idea your suggesting Doesn't to fit any of these goals
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2012 10:44pm | Report
"Olympic"? Wat?

You're completely insane, have no idea the physical effort those competitors go through and want to get something that has NOTHING to do with Olympics to get recognized as such. Do you even know there are many sports out there that don't have Olympic representation? (such as 1000 martial arts from karate to taekwondo, to extreme sports). They would get there faster than games.

At best, people could create Olympic games contest as some sort of separate event. But that would also be absurd since games keep getting released/changing/changing platform. Who would decide what gets represented and in time for people to get teams and qualify and ****? And the frequency of this event? And finance it?

A Chubby Baby
<Veteran>
A Chubby Baby's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2012 11:19pm | Report
AGREED.

it is a type of E-"SPORTS" :D!
Crows foot
<Member>
Crows foot's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 8, 2012 12:20am | Report
Really bad idea since e-sports and Olympics isn't even in the same ballpark.

Oh and I happen to enjoy curling. Team game and lots of skills and tactics involved.
If you for some reason want to follow my ranked journey to gold, you can do it Here.

I am against asking for rep, only rep me if you think I contributed well or said something wise.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 8, 2012 12:28am | Report
E-Lympics.

You're welcome world.
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
SkullzX
<Member>
SkullzX's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 8, 2012 12:32am | Report
Pylo you just broke the interwebs!
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 8, 2012 12:44am | Report
EDIT:
FalseoGod wrote:

"Olympic"? Wat?

You're completely insane, have no idea the physical effort those competitors go through and want to get something that has NOTHING to do with Olympics to get recognized as such. Do you even know there are many sports out there that don't have Olympic representation? (such as 1000 martial arts from karate to taekwondo, to extreme sports). They would get there faster than games.

At best, people could create Olympic games contest as some sort of separate event. But that would also be absurd since games keep getting released/changing/changing platform. Who would decide what gets represented and in time for people to get teams and qualify and ****? And the frequency of this event? And finance it?

The physical effort taken to go pro into a sport is the hardest part that gamers will never ever need.
Syther Blade
<Member>
Syther Blade's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 8, 2012 4:02am | Report
i was thinking elympic but psiguard beat me to it

Sigs By: Syther Blade (me), TheNamelessBard
c4master
<Member>
c4master's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 8, 2012 12:40pm | Report
Well, if you consider e-sports as sports then theoretically it could become olympic. In reality no one in their right mind would think it possible. Maybe in 30-40 years when ppl from all generations play videogames, but even then it would be very unlikely due to numerous reasons. Btw, I surfed web and found this little info about Olympics on wikipedia (I know, not always the most reliable source, but still often is):

In October and November 2004, the IOC established an Olympic Programme Commission, which was tasked with reviewing the sports on the Olympic program and all non-Olympic recognized sports. The goal was to apply a systematic approach to establishing the Olympic program for each celebration of the Games. The commission formulated seven criteria to judge whether a sport should be included on the Olympic program. These criteria are history and tradition of the sport, universality, popularity of the sport, image, athletes' health, development of the International Federation that governs the sport, and costs of holding the sport. From this study five recognized sports emerged as candidates for inclusion at the 2012 Summer Olympics: golf, karate, rugby union, roller sports and squash.

Decide for yourself if e-sports fits the criteria. Also, try the same with lots of actual olympic sports.

Quoted:

The physical effort taken to go pro into a sport is the hardest part that gamers will never ever need.

Chess is officially recognized as a sport by the IOC, and there's not much physical labor in that either. Still, in order to become a world class chess player or a world class e-sports player, talent with lots and lots of training is needed. One would call that effort.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide