Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

New Champion Selection System

Creator: CHAWRAGAMER January 8, 2016 5:51am
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 15, 2016 3:31am | Report
FalseoGod wrote:
I'll trust them until proven otherwise.

https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/411hub/why_should_i_even_play_solo_queue_anymore/
https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/40zxst/okay_the_sheer_terror_inflicted_by_the_queue/
https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/412dng/how_is_this_fair/
https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/4124px/spoiler_echo_fox_vs_dynamic_queue_na_solo_q/

Not saying any of this is "proof" but the early impressions aren't amazing it seems. Not sure if that's a case of the algorithm simply not matching premades to premades properly (yet) or whether the system simply actually doesn't work though.

Either way, the fact that Blizzard (a much more experienced company than Riot) tried something similar for HotS and it failed should've been a pretty big warning sign.

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
TheSilverDust
<Member>
TheSilverDust's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 15, 2016 4:14am | Report
Now I'm really scared to the dynamic queue based on the feedback of the first ones who experienced it...

And I just had an epiphany that having just the role filling system and the new pick/ban phase is OK. I don't know how many levels of tilt will be increased if there are more people to grief upon you. Two people saying mean things to you is stressful enough, why put more wood?
Comic by VaporaDark!

Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 15, 2016 4:35am | Report
Most of the negative feedback I've read is from high-Elo players where there just aren't enough players to match the amount of premades on each team. I assume the system will need some fine tuning, but we'll see.
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 15, 2016 5:24am | Report
I think the "create soloQ + dynamic Q" is an awful solution though, we don't really need 4 types of ranked (solo, dynamic, 3s and 5s) and putting solo and dynamic in the same MMR category would be dumb because dynamic would basically become a 2+ queue every time, which is hardly the same as going alone.

A bit sad that their effort might need more fine tuning or perhaps even never work properly.

Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 15, 2016 5:45am | Report
FYI Blizzards failure basically created a queue where on several occasions you would find a moron on your team with no idea what they were doing due to the fact they were (in LoLs equivalent) several tiers lower than you in most cases. Like you would be Diamond, they would be Silver.

In LoL this doesn't matter because everyones firmly stuck in ELO hell anyway and ****ing up the new matchmaking system isn't going to change that.

(Also you'd think having a tier system unlike Blizzard who use the old MMR system from S2 LoL would prevent that from happeining too)

Basically MOBAFire.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 15, 2016 7:15am | Report
And I just had an epiphany that having just the role filling system and the new pick/ban phase is OK. I don't know how many levels of tilt will be increased if there are more people to grief upon you. Two people saying mean things to you is stressful enough, why put more wood?
yea....I have more experience with the rest of my team deciding to go after a duo than a duo being ****s to everyone else.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 15, 2016 7:27am | Report
It was broke for most of the evening last night, but in my last game I got to queue up using the new system for Normal.

I had to hit ready 4 or 5 times before I actually got pulled into a team. Once in I got my primary role (I chose jungle as primary and Fill as secondary).

It is all a tad confusing since it has all the elements you are familiar with and a few new elements such as pick intent and the last 3 players getting to ban. I think the confusion comes largely from it all being familiar and yet not exactly like it was.

There was no jockeying for role. Our Top laner had Tahm Kench as intended, but switched to Vladimir during the actual pick phase when he saw Tryndamere picked. One person chimed in chat that we needed a tank so Top switched back to Tahm.

Everything felt slower though I didn't have an actual stop watch to time how things played out.

You have about 20s? at the end of it all to straighten out your individual variables like runes, masteries, and summoner spells (I was a little worried about this part since I was playing on a smurf account that I use infrequently).

Can't comment to much about how it might have influenced what went on in game, other than there was no raging going on our team despite our team getting behind and staying behind, but that may have just been the people I was playing with.

Rough feeling is that being able to pick and get a role you are comfortable with is going to go a long way to help with attitudes and eventually raise the quality of game play. Filling may get a little more dicey if you know you are going to end up against someone that is likely to be in their main role. So maybe ?likely? we'll begin to see more specialization.
TheSilverDust
<Member>
TheSilverDust's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 15, 2016 7:50am | Report
So, you should be like Sonic? As in "gotta go fast" in general? Riot, have mercy on us.
Thanks to Ninja Trigger for the sig!

VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 15, 2016 8:18am | Report
So, you should be like Sonic? As in "gotta go fast" in general? Riot, have mercy on us.

I didn't feel particularly rushed. I was surprised about how long people took to pick their champion given that they already had an intended champion selected. I suspect it will go a little faster once people are familiar with the new interface.
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 15, 2016 8:53am | Report
FalseoGod wrote:
I think the "create soloQ + dynamic Q" is an awful solution though, we don't really need 4 types of ranked (solo, dynamic, 3s and 5s) and putting solo and dynamic in the same MMR category would be dumb because dynamic would basically become a 2+ queue every time, which is hardly the same as going alone.

A bit sad that their effort might need more fine tuning or perhaps even never work properly.
I don't really mind as long as they match teams based on their compositions (3 + 1 + 1 vs 3 + 1 +1, not 3 + 1 + 1 vs 4 + 1). I'll probably continue on playing mostly solo if I play ranked.

EDIT: Woops, I can't read properly. I see what you mean now.
********'s a pretty good fertilizer

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide