Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Picking a main champion for ranked

Creator: Wayne3100 November 16, 2013 12:03pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
What is most important in picking a main champ for ranked?
SOAC Bas
<Member>
SOAC Bas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 2, 2013 3:59pm | Report
What if you are best at mid and suck at fizz, kazz, and ahri? Can I still play mid :P? I know karma mid is tier 2 and so is Lissandra, but what if I am just better at Malz (I know you hate Malz with a venomous passion throat :P)
Podcaster and producer of community driven content - sittingonacouch.com
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 2, 2013 4:11pm | Report
Honestly, getting good at a champion is not hard at all. Even high skillcap champions can be figured out in a way that can work for you. For me personally, learning syndra seemed impossible. I could not play her like the best syndra players, but I found a way to make her work by altering my playstyle. It's nowhere near as competitive and I make mistakes, but I can hang in platinum, which is impressive given that she's like, my 20th best mid.

You don't have to play champs you don't feel comfortable with, soac. There are a bajillion champs much stronger than malzahar.

You CAN climb with malzahar, but it will be a much slower process because malz isn't as impactful in a standard solo queue game as, say, lissandra or kassadin. Lasty likes to bring up that there are d1 mordekaiser mains and a d1 veigar support player, but they're exceptions to the rule, not the rule itself.

Play what you want, but if you find yourself stuck, strongly evaluate your champion pool and make a judgement call if that's impacting your games. Going 10-0 with urgot in a game is not the same as going 10-0 with vayne. One just DOES more.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 2, 2013 4:57pm | Report
Every tier list I've ever seen has nearly 20-30 champions in tier 1, and about 3 champions in the worst tier. So if you haven't found a tier 1 champion you're having fun with yet, I guess the best idea would be to keep looking.

Basically MOBAFire.
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 2, 2013 5:49pm | Report
EDIT: Now that I think about it, TIME TO CHANGE POST
The champ being good currently is quite important but so is having fun.
If playing one champ for you is an agitating experience then why do it? I'd definitely win more and enjoy my games more if I play a t2 champ over a t1 champ if I find said t2 champ more enjoyable. Obviously, for ridiculously weak champs this doesn't apply. Oh, and if something is broken (I.e old relic shield, taric, release zyra) just use it until it gets nerfed, the suffering pays off. :3
throatslasher
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 2, 2013 6:19pm | Report
XeresAce wrote:

The champ being good currently is quite important but so is having fun.

Nope. 100% wrong.

Would you rather have a 95% win rate playing only one champion and climb to D1, or stay stagnant in silver?

Served. I have fun when I win games. I'd rather be bored winning with shen (I'm NEVER ****ing bored playing shen, EVER, he's fun as ****) than have fun with ad ****er and lose 20 LP.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 2, 2013 6:31pm | Report
What?
I said that the champion being good is important but so is having fun.
Also, if you read the rest of my post what I said was mostly meant for tier 2/high tier 3 champs .-.

And league is a game, I play it to have fun. I have no ambition to become a pro player and ultimately, if it does come down to being bored while playing something strong, I'd rather play something weaker which I find more fun.
I don't enjoy this game unless I either;
1. Have fun playing
2. Have a close/intense game where I actually learn something.
I do not find stomps fun and I do not find abusing something that's ridiculously overpowered fun.
Sometimes I simply wish to climb the ladder, which is why I play said champs. Most of the time though, I try to find a champ that's relatively good but I like playing too. (mostly tier 2 champs)
throatslasher
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 2, 2013 8:14pm | Report
That's fine. but we're not talking about how to have fun. We're talking about winning games. You win games by picking strong ****. On the list of priorities, fun shows up last, if at all.
win games priority list;
1. strong pick
2. mechanics
3. experience
4. matchup knowledge
5. ?
6. ?
fun
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 3, 2013 12:19am | Report
Normals are for having fun & screwing around.
Ranked is for people who want to focus more on testing and evaluating their character mechanics & skills.
/thread
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
luizdeh
<Member>
luizdeh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 3, 2013 4:33am | Report

Snip: no fun

It's a game... if not for fun, then why at all?

I have fun playing Ranked. I win most of the time when I play my mains. I have no aspirations whatsoever of becoming a pro player, or even make it to Challenger since I lack both time and skill to get there. My ceiling is pretty high if I invest enough time to playing, but I don't want or care to do so. I have neither time nor the motivation.

I play Ranked because people take it more seriously and that usually leads to higher levels of gameplay and that's about it.

Bottom line is, I win games when I have the most fun. It's just a matter of opinion throat, if you like taking things that serious then fine, go for it. I acknowledge you efforts and hope you achieve your goals. But not everyone is the same.
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 3, 2013 4:47am | Report
It all depends on the personality of the player.

I personally get motivated by playing fun AND strong champs. I can't play champs I hate playing even if they're strong.

Others may also prefer strong champs and top tier champs. They enjoy being extremely strong or play well with advantages.

There are many different types of people. Hard to just judge by saying a certain way is right.

Ideally, to win, people should pick the strongest champs, but the main issue is that some people can't get themselves to play them, which is why motivation's a pretty big factor in choosing what to play.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide