Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Picking a main champion for ranked

Creator: Wayne3100 November 16, 2013 12:03pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
What is most important in picking a main champ for ranked?
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 4:35am | Report
Pheyniex wrote:

How about keeping options to fit what your team plays like, rather than throw what you are good at to the garbage?

Tier 1 champions fit on about any team composition unless those comps are very obscure (like Siege or Poke). Lasty named Renek as an example but Lee jungle is another example. In order for champs to be high tier, they need to fit on many comps unless they're completely overpowered.
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 4:35am | Report
If you have a champion, you have fun playing, then spamming it should be fine.
But that requires you to play it really, really well, if it is some unusual underpowered one :D
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 4:38am | Report
See, Wayne, you are aware of my dark powers. ;p
MyBloodisBlack
<Member>
MyBloodisBlack's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 8:17am | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:

The issue with adapting my picks based on team comp and aim for a win in teamfights is that I don't know whether I can rely on my teammates to perform optimally. I think a "win lane, win game" mentality is better for solo queue as long as the team comp isn't completely horrible (lacking any form of CC for example).

@ MyBloodisBlack

Having too many champs to pick from can be an issue indeed, but for most roles I feel sticking to 1 or 2 is pretty easy. Right now my roster would look something like this:

Top: Renekton, Elise
Jungle: Elise, Vi
Mid: Orianna, Syndra
ADC: Caitlyn
Support: Thresh, Zyra

Obviously I'd be spamming one of those two top lane champs and I need some practice on some of the other picks ( Syndra mainly), but that's the idea, anyway.

Well I guess the best choice are those who are the most fun and get the job done ro your style of play

If thats the case then id say I've got to go with these guys

Top Lane: Riven and Fiora
Jungle: Fiddlesticks and Rammus
Mid Lane: Heimerdinger and Ziggs
ADC: Jinx and Varus
Support: Soraka and Zyra
"The Wolf eyes the Prey, The Cow eats the hay, One of them is a killer, The other his buffet"
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 8:37am | Report
Experience is probably the most important thing, but if you're picking a main champion then you can get experience with it after you decide to main it. If you pick a champion that you love, then you'll be more inclined to play it a lot and learn how to improve than playing the current flavor champions.

Being high tier is pretty important too, but I don't think it matters much if you're just picking one or two mains. If you're looking for champions in your off-roles (or if you're a jack-of-all-trades kind of guy who fills roles), then you'll probably want to fill them with high tier ones that you can play. This is what my roster looks like right now (note I used to play a ton of lux but stopped after having to face assassin mids every game):

Jungle: Nocturne (love), Elise, Jarvan IV, Vi, Shyvana (all high tier)
Top: Shen (love), Renekton, Jax (both high tier)
Mid: Annie (I suck at mid so I just play the champ I practiced in 3s)
ADC: Caitlyn, Ezreal (high tier), Sivir (love)
Support: Lulu, Janna (they're pretty much the only ones I'm good at and kinda high tier)

For most roles I have one favorite champion and a few others that I've practiced and can play well. Usually the others are high tier because I get a lot of experience from playing the matchups and watching them on stream. It would be much harder for me to learn something obscure like Fiora jungle because I never see it anywhere else and would have no other sources to draw on. That's probably the main reason why I think high tier champions are really good to play -- because it's much easier to learn a new champion when you play with and against it constantly.

tl;dr: Everything's important except win rate. Your win rate will go up if you play the champion more and improve. The only thing you'll get out of win-rate mains is a short-term boost in rank (which is sometimes useful if you're pushing for the next tier or something).
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 9:11am | Report
PsiGuard wrote:
If you're looking for champions in your off-roles (or if you're a jack-of-all-trades kind of guy who fills roles), then you'll probably want to fill them with high tier ones that you can play

Myeah, I feel like I've done this is for most of my roles tbh. Vi and Elise are pretty high tier for jungle, Thresh and Zyra are for support (or were at least, not sure how the recent nerf affected Zyra), Orianna is for mid (not sure about Syndra but I just love playing her) and the other roles are ones I feel comfortable enough on to just play whatever, honestly.

I do consider myself as more of a jack-of-all-trades kind of guy this season than before, but I still think it'd be better to focus on one role as much as possible :P

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the signature!
DespisedEUNE
<Member>
DespisedEUNE's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 10:57am | Report
My Champion Pool:
ADC:
Twitch #1
Caitlyn #2
Miss Fortune #3
Corki #4 <-- Recently got into him.

Mid:
Kayle #1
Anivia #2

Top:
Kayle #1
Tryndamere #2
Nasus #3

Jungle:
Maokai #1
Nasus #2
Tryndamere #3

Support:
Sona #1
Janna #2
Nami #3 <-- Recently got into her.

Picking champions you're having fun playing with? might be a bad choice.
i LOVE playing Lee Sin and Vayne. But i can't play them.. So i leave them for my Dominion/5s Normal games.

I prefer picking my main champions based on how my performance is. simply because i play ranked to improve and grind.. not to have fun. That might sound depressing, but in the end i guess its a winwin situation. because; if i play a champion im good at, i usually end up winning more games, which leads to me getting better at the game and even having more fun than i would if i picked a Fun champion e.g. Vayne over more boring champ that im good at e.g. Twitch

Cheers, Despised.
~A champion never quits.
Shuru
<Member>
Shuru's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 12:30pm | Report
I tend to play what I like, though I also tend to look and see how decent they are. if they're at LEAST tier 3 I'll play them, but I have to have a lot of practice with anything less than tier 2 before I take it to ranked. that's just kinda how it is, player skill has an effect, but cheese will always be cheese.
Ban out GoodPlays GG
MyBloodisBlack
<Member>
MyBloodisBlack's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 12:49pm | Report
Im probably wierd but id rather lose whilst having fun than win and feel empty if I am honest whivh is why I stuck with champions like Fiora for example because simply I love her style of play alot - yes I may not always get the results id like but somehow its ok to me.

Although then again I am a ARAM player so I play who im given lol
"The Wolf eyes the Prey, The Cow eats the hay, One of them is a killer, The other his buffet"
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 17, 2013 12:55pm | Report

Im probably wierd but id rather lose whilst having fun than win and feel empty if I am honest whivh is why I stuck with champions like Fiora for example because simply I love her style of play alot - yes I may not always get the results id like but somehow its ok to me.

Although then again I am a ARAM player so I play who im given lol

I agree with you, but Wayne asked about ranked games here, not normals/ARAMs :P

In rankeds, even though I prefer weird picks, I'd still go for more reliable champs. This is because in rankeds winning is the main priority in the end. Of course having fun is also important, but it should not get in the way of your victory while playing ranked.

@poll; I voted experience, since experience can lead to great plays and ideas.
Change is gooooood
Picture by: My valentine; jamespongebob <3
Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide