Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Starting PvP

Creator: TacticalBacon December 19, 2015 4:29am
12 posts - page 1 of 2
1 2
TacticalBacon
<Member>
TacticalBacon's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2015 4:29am | Report
So. Being new to LoL and, indeed, mobas alltogether I'm a bit worried about venturing in to all human matches. So far I've been doing Co-op vs bots and I assume it's a bit more relaxed in those games since you pretty much can't lose.
The thing is I don't really feel like I know what I'm doing yet. I've decided to focus on one champion for a while to at least learn the basics. So I've picked Ashe, I've looked all over the internet and I think I have a decent idea about what items to get and such but the tactics? I read that Ashe is generally put in bottom lane since she's a Marksman but in pretty much every Co-op vs AI I play someone tells me to go somweher else. I guess the reason for that could be that those matches are mainly for farming and noone really cares about tactics but it does make me a bit confused and insecure.
In a real PvP match where winning is both more important and harder to achieve I would guess that tolerance for newbie ignorance is lower so I hesitate to do it. That's why I'm incoherently asking for any tips and advice you could give. I've read a few guides so I have a decent theoretical knowledge but theory and reality often differs.

Cheers: Fudge
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2015 4:45am | Report
Don't worry too much about what champion you pick and how you play them (just for now). Pre Level 30 matches are an all out festival, no one knows anything, no one cares about it either, they just want to play the game. Things start getting serious after you get level 10, where you start seeing people using Smite, that's when you should start digging into certain champions and what lane(s) they belong in. For instance, as you mentioned, Ashe is a a marksman and therefore, she goes bot lane, usually with a support. Another example would be either Garen or Singed, they are tanks and they should be in top lane. Jungle is a bit more complex, I don't know how to explain it, but junglers ALWAYS bring Smite. Mages/Assassins usually go mid lane. I think I covered all options here.

Don't worry too much about "doing the right thing" while you're below level 20-25, nor about the "technical stuff" people mention in guides (e.g.: orbwalking, kiting, wave control,...). You'll have your own share of meta in a month and you have plenty of time to learn all that xD Just try out any champions you come across in the free rotations to help you figure out your playstyle and try to learn the basics of the game to get you going. Having a favourite role also helps, since you'll have an easier time learning it. When I started playing the game, I was always tilted because I died a lot and my friends mocked me all day long, so I started playing top lane and I actually liked it. I am a top lane main now, but I can play all roles (with the exception of ADC, a.k.a. Marksman) if needed.

tl;dr.: don't worry about "technicalities", try to figure out the basics of the game to get you going, try a vast amount of champions to see what role you like the most and try to learn it.
TacticalBacon
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2015 5:10am | Report
Rex4XN:
Thanks a lot for the long reply. That all makes sense now when I see it.
It's a relief to see that it's not all too serious in the beginning. I need a couple more matches to get the hang of it.
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2015 8:59am | Report
I echo everything Re4XN said above. A lot of the discussions about meta and position roles won't make a lot of sense until you're level 20+. Just play some characters you like and don't be afraid to die a lot. My personal experience while leveling up was that after some initial experimentation, I settled on pretty much constantly playing Ziggs because I wanted to play a long range mage with some escapes and crowd control. Once I chose a main character I liked to play, I started focusing on how to play him against different opposing champions. I learned which champs were hard to go against for Ziggs and which were easy and how to alter my play to compensate. Then, I learned a bit more about overall strategy.

If there were two things that I wish someone told me at the very start, it would be these:

a) Last hitting minions for gold, especially early in the game when everyone is weak, is one of the most important skills in the game. Being able to last hit the minions without using spells or abilities is even better. (You'll want to use your abilities against your lane opponent).

b) Objectives like turrets, dragons, and Barons are more important than kills. If your team wins a team fight, don't go back to base or go farm. Instead, see if there is an objective that your team can take or at least see if you can deal some damage to a turret before the enemy team recovers.

Skills like warding and watching the minimap can come later. By the way, Ashe is a fine champion, but if you're not wedded to her yet, I would suggest you look at Caitlyn. Ashe is easy mechanically, but she's a bit immobile, which could lead to frustration if you get jumped a lot. Caitlyn is a similar marksman, but she has a net skill that gives her a small escape ability that can be useful. It's up to you and your preferences, but that would be my recommendation.
TacticalBacon
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2015 1:09pm | Report
I'm by no means married to Ashe. Just noticed that although I can't kill jack with her in the beginning of a match the enemy champs drop like flies in the later part, making me believe I had memorized what items to buy and thus would be better off with her. Earlier today I discovered Graves though. He kills everything with ease from the start. Is he OP? I almost feel dirty while playing him. Like I'm cheating. I already knew about the last hit on minions for gold, which kinda was why I decided to try graves as another player playing him kept stealing my kills when I was on Ashe. :P
I will definetly check out Caitlyn though.
Thanks for the advice and help.
Devampi
<Member>
Devampi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2015 2:00pm | Report
I myself won't say Graves is OP but he is pretty strong now. However even in a certain class you have types. like in the marksman Ashe is more seen as an utility marksman (because vision). while Graves is seen as all in champs.

this mostly has to do with their powerspieks and abilities etc.
Just some random guy from smitefire that visits sometimes.
MungoGeri
<Member>
MungoGeri's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 19, 2015 2:14pm | Report
Graves is definitely a good pick. He's very strong damage-wise. His weakness is that he has a very short range. Think of a sawed off shotgun compared with Caitlyn's sniper rifle. But I think you can have a lot of fun with him, and he can be played in several different positions.
Vaan99
<Member>
Vaan99's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2015 7:11am | Report
Just start playing PvP. There is almost no point in doing ai matches unless you lack most basic skills. If you start losing don't become discouraged it can actually be good for you to lose because your mmr will get lower and you'll play with people with similar skill level.

You shouldn't avoid pvp matches since lol is pvp game; you have to start somewhere. Just go and play some normals. Don't forget to use mute button if someone starts insulting or griefing and it affects your play or current mental state.

Good luck and have fun, remember it's only a game.
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2015 7:40am | Report
Yes. Especially that last part. You'll find some spoiled eggs from time to time in your games. Just remember that you're not playing the game for them, you're playing the game for yourself. Don't get emotionally involved in their jabs,and you'll love pvp
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
TacticalBacon
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 23, 2015 9:26am | Report
Thanks for the advice people. Yeah, the vs bots games are starting to become rather pointless. Everyone is just chasing ganks and the bot behaviour is predictable. :)
I'll level up to 10 before I throw myself in to the furnace :-)
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide