Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Tanks: What do you base your final score on?

Creator: kmododragonNM October 15, 2011 10:02am
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 5:00pm | Report
The thing is, shields actually discourage smart players from attacking you. No one's stupid enough to voluntarily autoattack Rammus when he's in Defensive Ball Curl, for example (well, okay, some people probably are). This is the same reason why I prefer Force of Nature over Banshee's Veil on tanks, because BV shield discourages people from focusing you (well, that and FoN is just plain better in terms of stats).

Also Cho'gath is a tank. And Shen's shield is **** unless you have a ****ton of AP.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 5:03pm | Report
Nothing to apologize for :P

Yet, popular opinion is that Cho Gath is one of the better tanks, and he has neither.

Singed recently, also one of the more popular choices, has neither.

Amumu, neither, although he does have that "Catching" mechanism you seem to like.

Cho gath however has a pop up which is then a slow, an AoE silence, and a fat block of true damage. Every one of his skills deals damage making him a very aggressive tank.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 5:04pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

The thing is, shields actually discourage smart players from attacking you. No one's stupid enough to voluntarily autoattack Rammus when he's in Defensive Ball Curl, for example (well, okay, some people probably are). This is the same reason why I prefer Force of Nature over Banshee's Veil on tanks, because BV shield discourages people from focusing you (well, that and FoN is just plain better in terms of stats).

Also Cho'gath is a tank.

Bit of a misconception I think.

A good carry when well farmed can kill any target, even a tank :P You'll need all the help you can get to be able to go in on a farmed carry, even a shield helps ^^
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 5:05pm | Report
Shen's shield blocks one autoattack from an AD carry. At best. If they're not well farmed. It's basically a button that makes you waste 45 energy unless you have a bunch of AP. I only tended to use it on tower shots or Karthus/Lux/Ezreal ults.

DuffTime wrote:
A good carry when well farmed can kill any target, even a tank :P

If they do that, you've pretty much done your job way better than you could have hoped for because during the time it took them to kill you your team massacred them.
kmododragonNM
<Member>
kmododragonNM's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 5:27pm | Report
DuffTime wrote:

Nothing to apologize for :P

Yet, popular opinion is that Cho Gath is one of the better tanks, and he has neither.

Singed recently, also one of the more popular choices, has neither.

Amumu, neither, although he does have that "Catching" mechanism you seem to like.

Cho gath however has a pop up which is then a slow, an AoE silence, and a fat block of true damage. Every one of his skills deals damage making him a very aggressive tank.

Good points. I have never played with Cho, therefore I must seem fairly naive when discussing him. He does work well. I still am quite attached to the Taunt, though, as most of the time the enemy will focus on the non-tank players and this is the best way to get their attention on you. (in my opinion.)
kmododragonNM
<Member>
kmododragonNM's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 5:30pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

Shen's shield blocks one autoattack from an AD carry. At best. If they're not well farmed. It's basically a button that makes you waste 45 energy unless you have a bunch of AP. I only tended to use it on tower shots or Karthus/Lux/Ezreal ults.

If they do that, you've pretty much done your job way better than you could have hoped for because during the time it took them to kill you your team massacred them.

I firmly (and respectfully) disagree. Shen's shield, if not negelected, can block 2-3 turret shots (more, most of the time) in the later levels, and take the punch out of an enemy attack ability. It also lasts long enough and recharges fast enough to take a fair amount of damage in any regular fight.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 5:31pm | Report
Granted I haven't played Shen since his AP ratios were buffed, so maybe it's actually useful now, but I do know what I'm talking about.

My first 150~ish wins I played Shen almost exclusively since my friends didn't really play anything tanky, so altogether I probably have about 200-250 games played on him.

I'm not saying it wasn't worth using at all, but I certainly wouldn't call it good.
Sacull_Kinslayer
<Member>
Sacull_Kinslayer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 6:13pm | Report
And this is why I prefer Jarvans shield... not only does it shield him it slows everyone else around him AND gets stronger the more there are around him... exactly what a tank needs. For my money he is one of the best tanks if played correctly. And he has an easier time farming than most the other thanks (other than Shen probably).

Wow... looking through the heroes and there are less tanks than I realized. Wow. No wonder it is always the same ones mentioned.
Did I manage to assist you in any way? Hook me up by hitting that nifty +Rep button.

All guides have been archived due to my not being able to play LoL currently. The information is still there and is good but until I return they will be archived. I am able to keep them updated and current though.

Vladimir's Blood Resource. Designed for beginner's and beyond.
Vladimir's Blood Resource: Post Nerf Edition.
The Exemplar of Tanking: Jarvan IV .

Making a Guide by jhoijhoi This is everything you need to know about making a guide. Amazing.

...and Buffy staked Edward. The End.
Sacull_Kinslayer
<Member>
Sacull_Kinslayer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 18, 2011 6:21pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

Also Cho'gath is a tank. And Shen's shield is **** unless you have a ****ton of AP.

Unless you are jax...

http://youtu.be/gN-OKz-hxnQ
Did I manage to assist you in any way? Hook me up by hitting that nifty +Rep button.

All guides have been archived due to my not being able to play LoL currently. The information is still there and is good but until I return they will be archived. I am able to keep them updated and current though.

Vladimir's Blood Resource. Designed for beginner's and beyond.
Vladimir's Blood Resource: Post Nerf Edition.
The Exemplar of Tanking: Jarvan IV .

Making a Guide by jhoijhoi This is everything you need to know about making a guide. Amazing.

...and Buffy staked Edward. The End.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 19, 2011 9:16am | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

Well, in a perfect world sure your carries can blow them up, but the grounds are not always equal, and there's a bazillion exceptions to every rule. Let's say your team is behind. You have to be really tanky to be able to fight a team that's ahead.

Also, there are carries like Vayne and Kogmaw who do the kinds of damage that can't be ignored. Against those champions, you're gonna need every defensive measure you can find, FoN, FH, Randuin's, Warmogg's, just be a super tank.

I firmly (and respectfully) disagree. Shen's shield, if not negelected, can block 2-3 turret shots (more, most of the time) in the later levels, and take the punch out of an enemy attack ability. It also lasts long enough and recharges fast enough to take a fair amount of damage in any regular fight.

2-3 turret shots does not deal more damage than a farmed AD carry can deal with one attack end game. There are carries that can hit harder than 4-5 turret shots :P

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide