Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Tanks: What do you base your final score on?

Creator: kmododragonNM October 15, 2011 10:02am
1 2 3 4 5
kmododragonNM
<Member>
kmododragonNM's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2011 10:02am | Report
Well, I play tanks, and as any tank knows, usually you don't have a lot of kills. (For me, usually 2-5, or 6-8 in a good game) But you still are a key part of the team. So what do you base your score on? Generally, I take my assists to measure how well I've done. (I take the kills too, obviously) But this seems slightly lacking in measuring the success of a tank since many of the good things we do for the team aren't recorded, since saves and taking damage for the team kills are about half of what a tank has to do.

So I would like to pose this question to other tank players: what do you base your score on at the end of the game? How do you usually measure how well you've played? Hopefully I get some solutions that can help me better judge the quality of my play.
Beeswarm17
<Member>
Beeswarm17's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2011 10:20am | Report
Did you win the game?
If yes, good tank.
If no, bad tank.

Lol, but no, seriously. Assists are generally the best sign that you've been tanking properly. Did your carries get a pile of kills? Did they die frequently? Were you winning teamfights? Did you make an utter mess of their team structure?

These are questions to ask. Your job as a tank is not exactly shown by the final score of the game. It's how you played for the team. Did you taunt the Caitlyn every fight? Did you silence the Brand? Those are things to keep in mind.

Final scores, you can look at your deaths versus the rest of the team's deaths. If you died more then the rest of your team combined, you were probably holding focus and keeping your team alive. The exception is obviously if you died incredibly frequently, but that goes without saying, I think.
kmododragonNM
<Member>
kmododragonNM's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2011 10:40am | Report
Thanks for your input, I like to keep a lot of those things in mind. Ultimately, I think that you can't measure the tank's effectiveness by looking at deaths, assists, or kills. Really you have to measure yourself with questions like:

Did my carries get a lot of kills without dying very much?
Did I take the amount of damage necessary to give my carries the kills?
Did I intervene at the right time to save Teemo, or was my sacrifice unnecessary?

That is why a lot of people don't believe what a good tank can do until they play with one.
ZioSerpe
<Member>
ZioSerpe's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2011 10:45am | Report
Win.
If you get to make your team win teamfights you win the game, thus you're a good tank.

For all you questions about jungling

yes Mr smartypants click on the signature
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2011 11:31am | Report
Beeswarm17 wrote:

Did you win the game?
If yes, good tank.
If no, bad tank.

Legit.

I was going to write this.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2011 11:34am | Report

Did my carries get a lot of kills without dying very much?
Did I take the amount of damage necessary to give my carries the kills?
Did I intervene at the right time to save Teemo, or was my sacrifice unnecessary?

No.

Kills don't mean anything.

You either win, or you lose, the score could be 505 kills for your team to 10 deaths, and if their shaco back doors you once effectively and kills your nexus, you still lost.

Measure your effectiveness in how often you make the winning initiation in a teamfight. How often you soak most of their cooldowns and your team can mop up - without thinking about the kills, just thinking about why the damage on your team was more effectively distributed.

Are you tanky enough to take big hits from the enemy DPS'ers? Things like that.
Joobieo#41288
<Member>
Joobieo#41288's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2011 2:13pm | Report
For me assist .

If my team got kills instead of me ive done my job .
Current Solo Q Elo = 1405+
Active United States Marine
Malzahar - Ranked Mini Guide / Build
Kassadin - Ranked Mini Guide / Build
ryzing force
<Member>
ryzing force's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2011 9:29pm | Report
yeah, pretty much what everyone else said. My last game as Leona went 3-4-25 and we won, so, I did my job. Problem is, no one usually appreciates it especially in solo...but that doesn't matter. You KNOW when you've ****ing tanked well, and you don't need the acknowledgement from your team.
:)
ryzing force
<Member>
ryzing force's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2011 9:38pm | Report
i make it a policy to compliment every support for a nice heal/save or any tank on exceptional tanking...but that doesn't apply to most of the general public. In solo, the compliments i receive as support or tank are usually nonexistent, of course in a premade that changes since we try and motivate each other, which you should do at all costs. Still, i gain great satisfaction everytime i save someone's *** with that last "wish" cast or on an initiate which aces the enemy team at best even at the expense of my own death. 2 turrets for 1 death is always worth it.
ZioSerpe
<Member>
ZioSerpe's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2011 9:40pm | Report
The mostly common happening for a good tank is to get a lot of assists, but well a good tank cannot be measured by endgame stats. before becoming a jungler I was a tank, and all I know is that I could tell if I was tanking good or not.

For all you questions about jungling

yes Mr smartypants click on the signature
1 2 3 4 5

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide