Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Teaching LoL to a friend

Creator: ZioSerpe September 10, 2011 3:56pm
1 2
Faffing
<Member>
Faffing's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 11, 2011 2:56am | Report
Don't know if this helps but how I learned to play is basically from playing DotA. However, before I reiterate on that; when I first started playing DotA it was a BUNCH of learning from past experience. You can't get better if you don't enjoy the game. If your friend enjoys it, he will keep playing and he WILL get better. After DotA I played LoL, got a summoner to 30, lost the account password, got another one to 30 but around level 20, I started paying more attention to the mechanics of the game so I can become a better player. All because I enjoy the game. People just learn to pick up on little bits from each game. Just introduce him to this site and when he wants to he will look at in depth guides to boost up his own game potential. There's really no good in trying to force specific game plays on to him right now
Whated#79092
<Member>
Whated#79092's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 11, 2011 3:05am | Report
PsiGuard wrote:

If you say so O.o......

It wasn't even a smart build though. Random Spirit Visage and Lich Bane with Soul Shroud and Ninja Tabi. I mean seriously.....

BRILLIANT! REALLY ****ING BRILLIANT!

Support ashe is new meta.
eternalShuckle
<Member>
eternalShuckle's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 14, 2011 10:39am | Report
I've been trying to get as many friends as possible interested in LoL, and I found that at least 3 of them did well/quite liked ryze as a first buy. He is a nuke, fun and easy. Make sure your friends look up the top rated guide for any champ they play, at least to look at the items, even if they don't understand the rest of what the guides offer yet. It also helps quite a bit that I lane with them as Karma, because I can assist in the burst damage, I can slow the enemy, I can shield and heal the new player when they do something too risky, and Karma + ryze works out damn well bottom lane.
orochinagi
<Member>
orochinagi's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 14, 2011 11:14am | Report
The things you have to teach your friend are:
- Understanding map control (checking mini-map, wards, etc);
- Benefits of last hitting and not going ONLY for harass and kills (it can backfire often);
- Learning the importance of jungle buffs for certain chars/roles;
- Learning the importance of dragon;

There's a lot of other views on the game that can only be developed thro experience and gameplay. If they want to improve, they'll eventually learn the rest ;)
10. The Blitz on your team will never land his grabs, but the one on the other team will.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 14, 2011 11:20am | Report
Figure out what he's naturally inclined towards first.

AD carrying. AP carrying. Supporting. Tanking. Tanky DPS. Offtank, whatever the case may be.

Then have him experiment with a few champions that fit into the category he feels drawn towards and successful with.

Upon finding 2-3 champs he likes, have him look up a few pro strategies with those champions to learn what kinds of thinks elite players are doing.

He can model his champion builds and playstyles after their so he knows he's using something solid, which will allow him to focus on gameplay. Learning when to do what, etc.

That way he will know it's not just the fact that he's using a garbage build, but rather that he made a mistake or something.

If he likes tanky types of champions, but still wants to deal damage, pretty much any one of my guides, particularly the newer ones, will be pretty good.

For just getting started out, finding a champ or to that you enjoy, and using a strong build on him while working bit by bit towards runes and masteries will be the most important thing.

Later on he can develop his map awareness and his versatility and such bit by bit.
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 14, 2011 11:34am | Report
DuffTime wrote:

Figure out what he's naturally inclined towards first.

AD carrying. AP carrying. Supporting. Tanking. Tanky DPS. Offtank, whatever the case may be.

Then have him experiment with a few champions that fit into the category he feels drawn towards and successful with.

Upon finding 2-3 champs he likes, have him look up a few pro strategies with those champions to learn what kinds of thinks elite players are doing.

He can model his champion builds and playstyles after their so he knows he's using something solid, which will allow him to focus on gameplay. Learning when to do what, etc.

That way he will know it's not just the fact that he's using a garbage build, but rather that he made a mistake or something.

If he likes tanky types of champions, but still wants to deal damage, pretty much any one of my guides, particularly the newer ones, will be pretty good.

For just getting started out, finding a champ or to that you enjoy, and using a strong build on him while working bit by bit towards runes and masteries will be the most important thing.

Later on he can develop his map awareness and his versatility and such bit by bit.

I disagree, for new players I think it is especially important to learn a champion on their own, without following a guide. I'm not saying don't use a guide as a reference for general item build, but testing out what works and what doesn't would be much more beneficial than following a guide.

also recommending your own guides is lame
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide