Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Who Can Counter Varus?

Creator: Niek June 10, 2012 2:44pm
1 2 3
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 11, 2012 6:25pm | Report
Burst and mobility destroy Varus in lane.

Start Boots and dodge his Qs, out-run his E (yes you can do that O_o).

Cassiopeia wrecks him because he doesn't have anything to avoid her Q, and you can burst him down with QEEEE while avoiding his Q with the move speed boost.
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 11, 2012 6:52pm | Report
Lucky,

Varus is super strong early game; that is why you play him. Although his kit is still good but yes, more utility-based and a bit less damage late game, he usually gets pretty well fed if you play his lane right.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Luckyisdaname
<Member>
Luckyisdaname's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 11, 2012 11:55pm | Report
That's what I said. Varus's prime is early-mid game just like Corki and - dare I say it - Ezreal.

Just last night, when I was playing this champion, I had to buy Thornmail and FM to counter the enemy Master Yi and Vayne.
Blood26
<Member>
Blood26's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2012 8:35am | Report
I need to raise a question regarding the "In your face" statement.
I just don't get why some champions are countered hard by an "in your face" tactic.

When you say in your face, or up close and personal.
I think of Lux, Cassiopeia, Veigar etc, oh and Varus according to the posts above.
Now, I know the champions I've mentioned above perform best at ranged, but have you ever wondered that the in your face tactic will not pay off 100% of the time ? The way I see it, its more of a risk taker.

Think about it, each AP champ has a form of disable (regardless of basic spells or ult).
You say they don't do best at melee, here's my thought.
Lux's Light Binding, Cassopeia's Petrifying Gaze, Veigar's Event Horizon and Varus' Chain of Corruption all give them an edge to not let you get in to their face.

Lux can snare and just lay waste at you, Cassopeia has bait you to turret range, ult you and spam everything like no tomorrow + Ignite until you either die or escape with little health left.

Veigar's like the tougher version of Lux, but equally potent and is deadly to players who make one single mistake while slaying him.

The same goes to Varus, ult in at turret range or just simply ult, lay waste at you and may possibly leave you with little health left or none at all.

That said, this has got me questioning, why do some people think "In your face" is a viable tactic ?

Back to the topic,
AD range > Varus imo.
Varus' passive outshines many AP caster one way or the other imo.
THANK YOU LACORPSE FOR THE SIGGY. YOU HAVE SUCH A GOOD FAN SERVICE :D !!

I have a request to all of the users on Mobafire. If it's not too much for you guys, do +Rep me if I've said something reasonable, crack a funny joke or provide the latest updates . Likewise, I've been +Rep-ing people so long as I find their post likeable. So let's help out each other now, shall we ;) ?
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2012 8:42am | Report
Varus doesn't have anything like as much burst damage as most APs (from what I know about the dude anyway).

AP carries, particularly burst AP, fundamentally counter AD. This is basically their role in the game and the reason why the meta changed to AP mid instead of AD. AD simply can't beat AP in a straight up 1v1 until late game.
Luckyisdaname
<Member>
Luckyisdaname's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2012 9:22am | Report
Even in late game the chance of an AD beating an AP 1v1 is pretty low. You would need some hard CC to stop them from nuking your ***...or BV.
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide