Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Jungle Olaf Help Please :(

Creator: capi January 10, 2011 10:07am
1 2
capi
<Member>
capi's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 10:07am | Report
So I have been jungling alot as Warwick (thanks DEWO!) and decided well, I got my route and build down, let me try someone else to jungle with. I picked up Olaf, and although I absolutely love him (insane burst if played right), I'm having a few problems in the jungle.

Mainly, from level 1-3/4, I just can't jungle effectively (like say with Warwick). I start @ blue and I'm almost dead by the time I leave. Use a HP pot and go to wolves, and then wraiths (I'll die here). If I go double golem, I go dbl golem, wraiths, wolves and then die @ blue. What am I doing wrong? When do you experienced jungle olaf's use your smites and HP Pots? I use smite on dbl golem and blue golem, always when viscious strikes is active to heal from it. Not sure what to change.

I'm level 24 at the moment, and still trying to get all the runes needed but I use 8 ArP marks, 4 HP/lvl Seals w/ 3 Armor Seals, 7 CDR Glphs and 2 ArP Quints. As for masteries, I've gone 14/0/10, 1/13/10 and still die.

Thanks for any help with this crazy *** viking lol.
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 12:03pm | Report
You should be fine jungling with Olaf at level 24.

I personally went attack speed marks on him and I was fine - not sure if this is the best decision as your ArP marks are probably better.

I use health potions whenever I possibly can, to be honest (except when I play Warwick). You'll definitely need one on Golem and Lizard. I'd also recommend just 0/15/10 masteries, capitalizing in Defensive Mastery and Harden Skin, both of which help your jungle out a lot. Try that - you should be fine.

Also make sure that you spam your skills on recharge and to try to throw Undertow to hit as many enemies as possible - you should be only leveling Vicious Strikes and Undertow until level 5 (occasionally 4). Also try to have Vicious Strikes up when you throw Undertow for the spell vamp.
Dante Rebellion
<Member>
Dante Rebellion's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 2:06pm | Report
jungle olaf is hard. Will require alot of runes, and atleast level 28 to be used effectively. Jebus 1 point will have to be spent on smite, so it will be 1/14/10.. the way I used to play jungle olaf is get the blue buff first, recall. Then continue with the other camps... recall get madreds and red buff. Look it's best to lane with olaf :P... he is very scary to be against espcially when your opponent has no idea..how much power you "E" + "W" is.
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 2:19pm | Report
Actually the 1 point in Smite isn't as necessary as many believe it to be. An extra 5 gold and a 5 second cooldown really does not amount to that much - it's not a substantial reduction on CD time and the gold doesn't really add up all that well either. Compared to one less damage every time you get hit by a minion, the mastery isn't always worth it.

And I've jungled with Olaf successfully before, when I was level 25.
capi
<Member>
capi's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 3:08pm | Report
Jebus, so your saying don't go imp smite? But take smite as a SS anyway right? GOing to try it out tonight when I get home. I've been going W>Q>W>Q then R>E>Q>W. Is this correct? I guess I just need to practice more. Didn't think it'd be this difficult (I've been doing practice games to get the jungle down, die everytime lol), but then again, Warwick's W and his Q heal up so...
Ace Ventura
<Member>
Ace Ventura's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 3:18pm | Report
Greater Mark of Desolation or Greater Mark of Attack Speed
Greater Quintessence of Health

With these runes you shouldn't have a problem

While you using Smite, make sure that Tough It Out are on to get healed, same goes for Undertow.
/league-of-legends/item/elixir-of-fortitude-29

"You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened... or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the **** on."

Check my all-inclusive guides:
Kayle, a Life of an Archangel

Check my in 5 minute guides:
Vayne Olaf
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 3:19pm | Report
I've just noticed that improved smite doesn't really pay off all that much. I do take it in my jungle Amumu build because it's at least semi-useful - but as Amumu, I don't really need the 5 extra gold or the 5 extra seconds. As Olaf, you may jungle just fast enough that the 5 seconds make a difference - but I doubt it. I'm not saying "never play with improved smite", I'm just saying that if you're having difficulty jungling now, you might do well to take out improved smite and get more defense.

For jungling and skilling, I recommend Considereth's build: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/olaf-the-jungling-viking-12328
capi
<Member>
capi's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 10, 2011 6:51pm | Report
@Ace- Yea I don't have the HP Quints, I have the ArP ones (I was dumb and bought them the minute I hit 20 >,< )

@Jebus- That's the exact same build I have been using... guess I'm doing something wrong (I think it has to do with when I use the HP pot to be honest.)
Dante Rebellion
<Member>
Dante Rebellion's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 11, 2011 12:22am | Report
Jebus the main point of even jungling with Olaf is his speed in the jungle. That 5 seconds can make a difference when your zooming all over the place and doing the dragon at hopefully level 5. If your going to use olaf for jungling, do it right, make full use of his potential, other wise just lane with him, he is great for laning!
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 11, 2011 2:32am | Report
Olaf is diferent from WW.

He is VERY potent jungler, but he tends to have problems on lvls 1-5 in jungle.

Go with Cloth Armor and 5 Healing Potion

ALWAYS start with blue buff (at least i do :P)

Pick your Tough It Out as spell and use it on cd. Ignore small ones and imidietly start whacking big golem. As soon as his health is at 420HP, smite him imidietly, than finish off small ones. Dont forget to drink your 1st hp pot after reciving 1st damage.

You will get lvl 2. take Undertow as 2nd spell.

Go to wolf camp, position yourself directly against the big one and throw your axe in middle damaging all the creeps and kill the wolves. Check your health status, if its <50% drink your pot and move to wraiths.

Position yourself again correctly to damage all wraiths with your Undertow, and kill the blue one prio than rest. Your HP should be quite low, drink another pot and move to golems (skip red one for now)
Again position and throw axe to damage both golems. Drink pot.

Check your health status, if it is quite ok you can engage the red buff lizard (again ignoring the small ones at start and smiting in good moment. Go to base and pick up Razors.

TEST THIS ROUTE BEFORE GOING ON NORMAL GAME!!!

Your skill odrer should be
W-Q-W-E-W-R.

Itemisation:
Cloth armor + 5x hp pot
Razors
Boots (depends on what you want)
Latern
Phage -> Mallet
Stark's Fevor

Hope i helped
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!