Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Ranked Matches...

Creator: Nights January 4, 2011 10:03am
50 posts - page 1 of 5
1 2 3 4 5
Nights
<Member>
Nights's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 4, 2011 10:03am | Report
Not sure if this would be consider for New players but as someone new to level 30, I thought this seemed nessicary. There seems to be a whole new realm to these Ranked matches in which people need a new concept of LoL to play, some new rules, Ect. Just played 2 yesterday and neither went well. I did some research but it seems the important stuff is scattered around.

Can anyone give a nice detailed guide to Rank matches?(knows it will be a long post) Couldn't seem to find it on here

I'd like to know...

Some of the basics.
Why certain champions are consistently banned?
What and Why certain champions are considered horrible in Ranked Matches?
Who is considered OP?

If this guide is somewhere else, can i get a link please? and sorry for the unnecessary post then.
Keytams
<Member>
Keytams's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 4, 2011 2:33pm | Report
I'm only lvl 20 atm so I've never played a ranked game but I've watched most of TreeEskimo's livesteams that were archived and learned a lot from his commentary on ranked games hes played. Look him up and watch some of his games if you have time.

If your looking for something condensed into text though, I'm not sure.
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 6, 2011 8:19am | Report
Basics:

Team A........Team B
player 1........1

At champion select there will be a banning phase where the first player on each team will ban champions, I believe it goes A bans 1, B bans 2, A bans one.

Then the champion selection phase, Team B player one picks first champ. Team A 1 and 2 pick next. B 2 and 3. A 3 and 4. B 4 and 5. A 5.

So in this scenario A bans first and last, so B gets to pick first, and A gets to pick last.

Players 1 and 2 have the ability to switch champions with players 3 4 and 5. This would happen after both people switching have picked at any time before the timer runs out. Use this if you are in a premade and want to ensure players 3 4 or 5 can get the champion they need and 1 or 2 is playing a champ that's less likely to be picked by the other team, since you cannot pick a champion the other team picks in ranked.

If there's something slightly wrong just tell me and I will edit this, I just did it from my head. I will try to write more when I get back as far as picking strategy goes, a lot is decided about the game in the picking phase so it's very important.
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 6, 2011 9:05am | Report
Picking Strategy:

Banning - If you are in solo queue you will normally ban champs considered "OP" at the time. Keep up with LoL forums and Elementz meta talks to see who people are saying are OP / UP every patch. A good rule of thumb for solo queue banning is to ban a champ that can effect the game greatly and is a strong solo laner / jungler. Examples of these would be Twisted Fate, Amumu, Vladimir, Annie, etc. There are also champs that simply have a lot of cc / survivability / damage even if they aren't a carry, such as Alistar, Amumu, Janna, etc.

Picking - For your first pick you would want to try to grab a hero like I mentioned if they're not banned, with strong cc and survivability. I have seen Amumu, Galio, Morgana, Nunu, Shen, Rammus, etc, do very well. Also when you pick these champs for your team it means that the other team can't pick them, and if some of them are already banned you deny the other team these options. As far as middle picks, you want to make sure you have a good balance of tanks / physical damage / magic damage / support / cc and make sure you have a carry, someone that can deal sustained damage and chunk through health as long as they stay protected. Because you need this balance you need to go into the game with a few options in mind as far as champs you can play and communicate with your teammates to make sure your team is balanced. The worst thing that can happen is you solo queue and everybody goes in only willing to play one champion. This is how teams end up with no tanks, all physical damage, all magic damage, no cc, etc, and this team has almost surely lost as long as the other team is competent. If you have last pick look at the other teams composition and try to pick a hero that counters them well. (Kog'maw for a really tanky composition. Janna for a composition dependent on aoe)

I hope this was helpful. I am by no means an expert but I have played DotA and this game for a long time now. In honesty I haven't played that many ranked games but from the ones I have I have had success playing Shen because of his survivability and cc, and willing to switch it up to fill in the holes in the team. I have also seen how devastating some champion's aoe ults can be to a team fight.
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
Nights
<Member>
Nights's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 7, 2011 2:47pm | Report
This actually helps a HUGE amount. Thanks alot :D, I've been using Nunu alot lately. (Ap/tank style)Soo I'm guessing I'll be somewhat wanted/banned.
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 7, 2011 6:56pm | Report
I'm glad that helped. I also thought of another one. Malphite is banned a lot because he is a tank and his ult is awesome, and his slow. Just keep practicing and check out moba's vent if you want help! :)
Thanks to Minho for my sig!
god of blood
<Member>
god of blood's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2011 9:45pm | Report
hi guyz.
ive noticed you talked about rank and even though im lvl 30 and played like 200 ranks
i still dont understand how can u really be ranked... i mean do u need more wins and losts?
and how many points u gain for win\lose?
just need some info if someone can help.
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2011 10:07pm | Report

hi guyz.
ive noticed you talked about rank and even though im lvl 30 and played like 200 ranks
i still dont understand how can u really be ranked... i mean do u need more wins and losts?
and how many points u gain for win\lose?
just need some info if someone can help.

Ranked games.

Scrax
<Retired Moderator>
Scrax's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 25, 2011 11:59am | Report
You need to click "Ranked Games" and not "Normal Games", if thats what you've done, then I have no idea what you're talking about.

Perhaps if you nullify (20 win / 20 loss) your win/loss ratio, your rating doesn't appear in the premade panel? Just a theory.
god of blood
<Member>
god of blood's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 27, 2011 7:06am | Report
Scrax wrote:

You need to click "Ranked Games" and not "Normal Games", if thats what you've done, then I have no idea what you're talking about.

Perhaps if you nullify (20 win / 20 loss) your win/loss ratio, your rating doesn't appear in the premade panel? Just a theory.

u guyz got me all wrong.... i know whos to play ranked... what i meant is for instance why when i win a rank sometimes i get 6 rank points and sometimes 13 .... why dont u get the same amount when u win?
1 2 3 4 5

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide